Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Titan 48

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mylesound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Titan 48
    Posted: 26 February 2008 at 3:43am
http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/T48.html
the cab on this site claims to outperform a sb 850.
does anyone have any experience with this sub?
im still skeptical on the idea of a single 15" sounding better than 2 18's.
any help? thanks!
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 11:23am
Read the spec

"The T48, loaded with one fifteen, beats any 2x18 reflex sub in sensitivity"

NOT max output, although it will be fairly close.

I think the point is always factor in the power requirement and the power compression.

Titan 48 will take about 400W - the SB 850 probably 1000-1200W

With a 3dB average advantage the titan needs half the watts to reach the same volume level as the SB 850, so the Titan is going to be as loud with 400W as the SB is with 800W. With 1200W into the SB it will be louder, but since almost all of the difference in power between 800-1200W will get wasted as heat, what you will hear will just contain more distortion and the driver will be acting as a toaster.

The difference being that the titan needs far less power to achieve the same output level, which is beneficial if you dont wanna be taking around huge industrial power conditioners to try and suck thousands of watts out of the mains.

So in other words if you really want more output than the SB 850, you need two Titan 48s

Stu

Edited by Disco Stu - 26 February 2008 at 11:24am
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 12:10pm
Ask him for the screenshots from Hornresp.

The EAW data sheet states that the response is in 4Pi, I bet the Titan is in 2Pi, there is a 6dB difference there.
djk
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

Ask him for the screenshots from Hornresp.

The EAW data sheet states that the response is in 4Pi, I bet the Titan is in 2Pi, there is a 6dB difference there.

Certainly worth checking out

Either way if I had the space id be more interested in the Titan for its light weight and low cost.

Stu
All you need to know is:

My acts:
mylesound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mylesound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 2:59pm
Thanks for the Info!
sorry for all the questions but by the chart it looks as if it can go up past 100 hz clean. @ full power will it still sound as good all the way up there?
i was just wondering becuse i intended on building scoops. but im being asked to do live sound, not only dj.
Superrated View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 3:39pm
I've been wondering how the T48 compares to something like a 186 horn,
never heard both, but my gut feelings says that the 186 would be the better (and free-er) design, but that does have a lot to do with the BFM marketing question.
anyone that has heard both has any info on this?
just wondering...

Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2008 at 5:14pm
The T48 has a slightly longer horn as I recall so in stacks it will achieve a lower cutoff point.

The 186 has a lower compression ratio so distortion is likely to be lower (which it needs to be since 18s can be rather vulnerable to cone damage when driven with high power)

It will however be a lot more expensive to build a fleet of and will weigh a lot more with 18mm vs 12mm ply

I think the truth is that both designs have merit, if you want lots of 50Hz and up with an extreme displacement driver and dont mind the weight then the 1850 is a great choice.

If you want more 40Hz and dont mind having lots of lightweight cabs to achieve it then the Titan is probably better.

Stu
All you need to know is:

My acts:
mylesound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mylesound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2008 at 1:43am
okay scratch that.
can a G sub perform as well as/ better than a SB 850? (at 1200w)

Edited by mylesound - 27 February 2008 at 3:45am
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2008 at 8:36am
Should be similar

Heavy tho, definitely NOT a 1 man lift
All you need to know is:

My acts:
mylesound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mylesound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2008 at 6:25pm
i know this is off topic, but what will give me the most SPL out of the fane XB. Gsubs, or Scoopers?
*used in Groups
Hugo Biermann View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2008 at 7:59pm
http://images1.hdpi.com/product_enlarged/24411_CIA_IceCreamScoop.jpg
www.aggressiveaudio.co.za
bassboxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassboxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2008 at 1:46pm
Thumbs%20UpLOLClap

now that's the way of "figurative speaking" (...writing, actually).

I'm still learning...one day i'll be a real speakerbuilder!
 Post Reply Post Reply