Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Altec 816 build.. Many pics.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 4:44pm
How did the cabs end?
www.aggressiveaudio.co.za
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2009 at 11:28am

Aye...

im curious to see the finished product :)

gwarntek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwarntek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2009 at 12:01pm
Hahaha LOL
That looks like some wonky old bracing on them labs!
AlfieDring View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfieDring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Hugo Biermann Hugo Biermann wrote:

How did the cabs end?

^ Currently minus the sketchy cable through port bullshizz. Took that photo before taking delivery of a load of NL4MPR's

Im just fiiiiiiiiinally building up a 2nd one of these. When its done ill post a load of pics of the two playing happily in the garden in the sun (fingers crossed anyway) :P

Cheers-thx-ta

Alf
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2009 at 10:10pm
Hi Alfie,lovely job you made of building these.....by the way,i had an original pair of these,and the curved horn flare on the Altec 816c was not ply,but plastic!..the kind of white flexible plastic pvc you would expect to find a bleach bottle made from....it was then covered in black leatherette,the same as the rest of the cabinet...also,and a lot of people may not realise this,the genuien Altec cabinet was chipboard!!!! (again covered in leathette)....so your ply flares and cabinet are better than the original.Well done.
Be seeing you.
SynthsayerWWX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SynthsayerWWX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2009 at 5:25am
Great looking cabinets and excellent attention to detail.
I have a pair of old 816 'copy' cabinets. The previous owner stapled some really ugly carpet foam on the insodes.
I would like to know if any damping material is required so I can remove or replace what is in the cabinets.
Should there be any damping material in the cabinets?
Thank you.
pk1964 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pk1964 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2009 at 6:29pm
i used to build them 20 years ago found the plan today funny enough
your build qauilty is fantastic well done  
kristoffdj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristoffdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2009 at 12:26am

Nice work.

Whats the prosound 1000 running?
SynthsayerWWX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SynthsayerWWX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2009 at 2:37pm
I found the answer to my question regarding cabinet damping material. According to Altec 816 product description,"The cabinet is heavily constructed of 3/4" material, extensively braced, and lined with an absorbent material."
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2009 at 3:34pm
I can confirm that the Original Altec factory 816's i owned had no damping material inside,just a quick spray coat of matt black paint inside to cover the chipboard/particle board.
Be seeing you.
AlfieDring View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfieDring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2009 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by SynthsayerWWX SynthsayerWWX wrote:

Great looking cabinets and excellent attention to detail.
I have a pair of old 816 'copy' cabinets. The previous owner stapled some really ugly carpet foam on the insodes.
I would like to know if any damping material is required so I can remove or replace what is in the cabinets.
Should there be any damping material in the cabinets?
Thank you.

Hiya, i didnt find any reference to it in the plans but looking at the design (specifically the large flat panel behind the driver and generally parallel boxyness) i decided to go fairly heavy on the damping.

Think i used 4 layers of 12oz Dacron on the back panel and 3 or 4 layers on the sides and top. Heavily stapled that becomes about 1.5" thick. I stopped the side damping above the port and did not damp the bottom or inside the horn flares. Sounds about right to me. Ill try and get a picture of the insides at some point.

Originally posted by kristoffdj kristoffdj wrote:

Nice work.

Whats the prosound 1000 running?

Was running the mid and top, with the 700d bridged into the 816. Remarkably hiss free for such a cheap amp but wouldent exactly reccomend it!

@ jbl interesting about the originals having no damping! mine sounded terrible above 250hz before damping it extensivly. Admittedly 250-700 odd Hz is not a pleasant range to listen to in isolation but still!

Alf
WCA-UK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCA-UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 12:07pm
i have 4 of these Altec 816's and two 18" bins of the same size that sit under them... the two bins were non ported and had a set of nice 800w beymas in them... sounded stonking as f**k!!!
the altec 816's has Fane crescendos in them MB's really funky bins and was infact the first system i had really... i loved the retro appeal it had!... il fish out some piccies of them and my first rig!!!
But yea... the two bins and two of the bass/mid 816's are up for grabs unloaded if anyones intrested!!!

nice builds here tho!! fair play Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>