Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Altec 816 build.. Many pics.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by AlfieDring AlfieDring wrote:

Originally posted by Hugo Biermann Hugo Biermann wrote:

How did the cabs end?

^ Currently minus the sketchy cable through port bullshizz. Took that photo before taking delivery of a load of NL4MPR's

Im just fiiiiiiiiinally building up a 2nd one of these. When its done ill post a load of pics of the two playing happily in the garden in the sun (fingers crossed anyway) :P

Cheers-thx-ta

Alf

Old tread but brilliant build pix & fantastic end result! Clap

What are the dimensions of these Altec 816's anyone? Thx.

**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 2:25pm
The Altec originals Tek were 30ins wide,26ins deep,22ins high...i would imagine Alfie has made his pretty much the same size...the proportions look about right from the photos.
Be seeing you.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 7:33pm
Have a look in the for sale section, djstefanos has 38 (yes, 38) of them for sale.

Edited by djeddie - 30 October 2010 at 7:34pm
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

The Altec originals Tek were 30ins wide,26ins deep,22ins high.

Cheers mate!

**Heavy Weight-Line**
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2011 at 11:19am
I think That it's funny that you build these old cabinets.
I have a pair incl original drivers, interested anyone?
Good work! -but seriously: if I'm ever going to build from scratch it have to be at new / test design!
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by tv00 tv00 wrote:

I think That it's funny that you build these old cabinets.

Good work! -but seriously: if I'm ever going to build from scratch it have to be at new / test design!

What sort/kind of new design/s you recommend ?

**Heavy Weight-Line**
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2011 at 4:40pm
Sorry, that's a good question!

Hd15 is nice, but i would probably do some kind of straight horn, important is to get the horn mouth to open up wide enough to spread the waves, and then it will get long.

I just got a nice pair of martin audio 215 for just £200 that I'm looking forward to play around with!

I'm not sure I'm the right one to answer this question!-search this page and several others for answers, this site where you are is good for new designs which i would recommend and this site is better for older: http://hornplans.free.fr/plan_site.html

I think the Altec is far too heavy, like most modular boxes are, I have jbl / SA 4512, -they're heavy!

Marcozzio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcozzio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 4:49pm
Hi,
can please anyone tell me the model of the cabinet positioned up the ALtec 816???? Are they good for mid high??? Can i get the plans somewhere???
Thank u

Marcozzio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcozzio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 5:44pm
Which kind of cabinets are those upo the altec 816??? Where can i get the plans for them??
ermita View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ermita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Marcozzio Marcozzio wrote:

Which kind of cabinets are those upo the altec 816??? Where can i get the plans for them??

looks like the horn section only of MT122.
VancouverSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VancouverSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2013 at 5:36am
That 816 cab is beautiful... We never saw it's mate though :(

I have a question for all; the box handles take up cubic volume; is it an amount of volume that matters or is it negligable? I have seen authentic cabs with and without handles and it struck me it might make a difference.

JBL was the speaker of choice in my region when I worked in Rock n Roll production back in Ottawa, Canada during the 80's and 90's; Altec was never on our menu so I didn't obsessively memorize the specs of every Altec component as I did with JBL back in the day. As a result I don't know the difference between the 816a, 816b, 816c and 816VI. (have I listed them correctly?)

Could one or more of those variations have been adjusted to accommodate the box or metal bar handles?

tv00 mentioned Martin 215's. I remember those back brakers fondly. In the 80's we used martin stacks loaded with JBL. We stacked 215's 6 high and 3 wide per side at medium stadium shows and we used scaffold to stack them higher at largher shows; it took three people to hump number 5 and 6 and when we stacked them higher we had three guys on the ground and two or three in a scaffold on large air filled tires so we could hump them twice and then push the scaffold along to the next stack. We also used Martin 212's for mids and custom boxes for our JBL 2380/2445 highs and 2370/2425 very highs. We also had Martin 115's but they were only rented to customers and the 215's were reserved for our shows.

Later we switched to the SR series. It seemed like we could pack a lot more wood into the trucks but they weren't nearly as good as the Martins.

Anyway, back on point; I intend to build 816's (to be used as mid/bass but not bass) and I want them to be as road-ready as possible so I want them to have box handles but I also want to be able to sleep at night; I really have to know how much effect those box handles will have on the sound or I'm going to lose sleep over it forever... Hope someone knows.
winni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2013 at 12:52am

Hi.

What crossover point is recommended between low and horn-loaded mid driver for proper sound direction? 3-way JBL speakers got it at 250Hz, is it possible to go even higher?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>