Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Behringer Multicom mdx4400/mdx4600pro xl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Behringer Multicom mdx4400/mdx4600pro xl
    Posted: 12 March 2008 at 3:23pm

Want to hear people's general opinion on these.

Yes, Ultradrive does this digitally for 6 channels, and yes its Behringer, and yes there are much better makes out there for only £500.Confused

But I have heard this used in Live situations on mics, and operation was almost unoticable, so wondered how people think it sounds, placed directly after an active analogue xover.

Need some metering for each channel out of xover, and also "Pro" way of beefing up Sub signal for amps that have 1-2V I/P sensitivity.

Edited by levyte357 - 12 March 2008 at 3:42pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
josh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 3:42pm
The ultradrive cant do compression can it? oh and sorry i have no idea what that piece of equipment is like never used it.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by josh josh wrote:

The ultradrive cant do compression can it? oh and sorry i have no idea what that piece of equipment is like never used it.

MULTICOM PRO MDX4400
4-Channel Compressor/Limiter • PeakLimiter

http://www.behringerdownload.de/MDX4400/MDX4400_ENG_Rev_H.pdf Download%20Full%20Specifications

Edited by levyte357 - 12 March 2008 at 3:56pm
Jhodas View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhodas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 4:07pm
Used that on a couple of small gigs I did at my old uni. Can't say much for the limiters, we never hit them, but the compression it pretty transparent. We were using it to add a bit of punch to the drumkit and help the vocalist carry a bit (mic technique wasn't exactly spot on).

I think it's got no character at all, i.e. it's just there, pretty much see thru.

Can't argue for under a ton.
Until the Lions have their own historians, tales of hunting will always glorify the hunter.
josh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Yes, Ultradrive does this digitally for 6 channels,
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 5:27pm

Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Yes, Ultradrive does this digitally for 6 channels,

But this gives dynamic controls of channels with no possible loss of processing power and associated effects.
josh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 4:45pm
now im confused, are you wanting to use this as a compressor or just to boost the signal level?
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 5:02pm

now im confused, are you wanting to use this as a compressor or just to boost the signal level?

I need,

I/O Level Metering per channel,
Signal level adjust per channel,
Limiting per channel,
Adjustable limiting type per channel

I definetly see myself using 1x of these + CX3400 for house parties, and 1x 6way digital active xover + 2x of these for big gigs.

Possibly Ultradrive sound quality might improve, if it does'nt have to handle limiting, per channel eq, etc.

josh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 6:01pm
ah rite, so the more prossing power i use on my dcx 2496 the lower the sound quality?
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 7:03pm

ah rite, so the more prossing power i use on my dcx 2496 the lower the sound quality?

Quite possibly. I know it starts dropping out and stuff if you have everything full on, dont know if sound quality will improve if it has lets to do.

Last rom update was to increase optimise processing power, so it may be the case.
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 7:03pm

I don't get it lev.. why not just get a DCX first?

@josh.. with any digital LMS the more "things" you do to each output the more processor time is used up... (e.g. put an EQ point on a channel and it uses up "an amount" cpu time) the sound will not be effected...  it just limits the amount of things you can do.

I have never run out of cpu on my DCX.. even with 4 way / mono 2 way bass - stereo tops - loads of things turned on, limiters, delays, dynamic eq etc etc.

The later firmware on the DCX is much better in this respect.

Edited by adambomb - 13 March 2008 at 7:15pm
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 7:07pm
the "drop outs" and funny noises only appear when :

1. Changing settings while running (change x-over point for example) will cause the chan to drop for 1/2 a second... not like you should be doing this during a gig anyway is it!?!

2. On the limiter screen the live level view apparently uses more cpu to drive and changes the sound... I say apparently cos mine don't do it (maybe this was also down to the early firmware?).

Edited by adambomb - 13 March 2008 at 7:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>