Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Double (6th order) horns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaKe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 7:35pm
I think I was missing the point earlier thinking you were looking at horn loading something like an X1 6th order bandpass box.
The one issue I see with the harwell type bin is that there will be a delay introduced between the 2 horn sections because of the differing length that can't be properly fixed by dsp although considering the potential benefits may be worth accepting.
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2008 at 8:01pm
I think in the 1930s-1950s when the pioneering stuff with horns was happening this was a real option,especially if your alnico driver costed you a few weeks wages.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by biotec biotec wrote:

old tasco harwell bass bins, I'll try to dig up more details later.

are those double 18"? bet they caused a few hernias in their time Big%20smile
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by davey t davey t wrote:

efficiency goes from 104db to a whopping 110db at the higher end.

SO your gaining increased bandwidth, flatter response and efficiency at the expense of a much bigger complicated cab and less low end (for a normal horn in the same size enclosure).

Is it worth it? Surely someone has done this before - please post links guys cos i'd love to read up on it.

but we can get this out of a tapped horn - and I bet it would be a smaller box becasue both sides load the same horn...
Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by JaKe JaKe wrote:

I think I was missing the point earlier thinking you were looking at horn loading something like an X1 6th order bandpass box.
The one issue I see with the harwell type bin is that there will be a delay introduced between the 2 horn sections because of the differing length that can't be properly fixed by dsp although considering the potential benefits may be worth accepting.

I think the differently lengthed horns are what makes it bandpass.  It's like the differently sized/ported front and rear chambers on a normal bandpass cab.
loonie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by adambomb adambomb wrote:

I think Loonies Tasco Harwell bins are folded horns on both sides of the driver?!?

(I might be wrong tho).

I can't even remember and i only put the drivers in over 3 months ago.

LOL

But IIRC they don't, The drivers sit side by side in their own chamber and then they are divided by a vertical piece of ply and the access hatch. One then goes to a short horn and the other goes to a long horn.

HTH

loonie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

Originally posted by biotec biotec wrote:

old tasco harwell bass bins, I'll try to dig up more details later.

are those double 18"? bet they caused a few hernias in their time Big%20smile

Nope double 15's, but bloody loud.

They weigh stupid amounts and have gone through many castors already.

Davey, wanna get together and make some 18" versions of these.

They would take ya face off Tongue

BTW the ones in the pic are the exact same ones that now sit in my lock-up Wink

If anyone would like to hear the system then I would be glad to demo it at an appropriate time.
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 10:50pm
Hi, Can you post a drawing of this layout?  Thanx,  VECTORDJ
loonie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 11:52am
There aren't any plans mate, this company went bust around 30 years ago IIRC.

They are quite hard to come across, which is why we are going to try moulding new horns and making new bins, perhaps 18's just to see what they will do.

Sorry chap
Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 5:54pm
Measuring tape?  If the company went bust surely it can't hurt?
Dave Slater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Slater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 7:02pm

played about long and hard with this idea a few years ago using AkaBak like yourself

as mentioned before the only way to do it is to have one horn longer than the other in the same fashion as the BOSE Acoustic Wave Cannon the theory of which can be found in the pages here (incedently i believe their patent talks about horn loading)

whilst great in theory it will only allow a passband of approx 1.5 octaves and achieving a smooth response in practice is extremely difficult

i ditched the idea in the end because of the nature of the design it takes a few cycles to achieve the summing required to acheive its results meaing it is a design really only suited to special effects on movie soundtracks as it doesn't have the transient capabilities to produce music with any authority

as a result a compact cabinet for kick and sub duties is out of the question however real low frequency stuff you could probably get away with but then the resulting cabinet would be huge and completely impractical

YMMV

SmokeyJoe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeyJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 11:16pm
Wow, those Tasco Harwell bins look amazing - really evil looking cabs! I bet they're huge though!

I'm really interested by them! I'd love to know more about the design and how they sound! Any info on original drivers, or anything?

Thanks, Joe.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>