Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Double (6th order) horns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 1:13pm
the bose cannon is not the same as a compound horn as discussed in the dinsdale article. bose doesn't use a chambers to limit the operating band of the longer horn. The horn dinsdale designs covers 2.5 octaves with just the long horn before crossing to the short horn.
loonie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2008 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe SmokeyJoe wrote:

Wow, those Tasco Harwell bins look amazing - really evil looking cabs! I bet they're huge though!

I'm really interested by them! I'd love to know more about the design and how they sound! Any info on original drivers, or anything?

Thanks, Joe.

Hiya Smokey

They do look great don't they, we just need to get them refurbished and looking how they should do with some lovely padded road covers yano.

The drivers used in the tops are JBL 2441's, there are 2 mounted on a Y-shaped manifold. They both feed down onto the huge phase bung which is around 30-35cms long. The cabs are wired in 8 ohm as each driver is 16ohms and wired in parallel.

They are brutally loud and I have personally had loss of hearing whilst using these components in the last 6 months. Not saying they are bad at all, far from it. Just wanted to give a bit of an indication as to how insane they are.

The mids are something else though, they use a speaker designed by EV whish is the 12el model IIRC. The horns make such a difference compared to most PD reflex boxes I've heard.

I swear by PD but i doubt I'd swap them for anything else as their tone is so electric and crisp. They have 2 drivers in each cab, one sits inside the phase plug of the mid and the other sits in front of it, similar to the layout of a LAB horn.

There is also a oval shape section in between each speaker which has a cut out for the dust cap of the driver to sit in whilst being used, this helps to acheive a beeter sound in some mad way, don;t ask me how haha. The cabs are wired in 4 ohm, they take 600wrms each (That's 300wrms each driver) We are currently feeding them 750w from an STR1500 which is doing the job very well indeed.

Then we come onto the bass bins, I absolutely love these bins like no other. Its as simple as that. They throw further than most bins I've heard, the couple together superbly, we found this out when we used only one of our Harwell systems and found that there wasn't nearly enough bass compared to other events.

We managed to get plaster coming off of the ceilings with both of them together, using one mid and one top (As we ran out of room in the van) shall post the video tonight or tomorrow for you to see. They also love to be powered from an infinite 8 Big%20smile.

They currently have 2 x PD 156's in each and you can really tell that the horn does the best part of the work. We now going into finding out what sounds best in them as they were originally loaded with Gauss drivers. But we can't get a hold of them anywhere, so were going for what's been written inside the bass cab which is the RCF lp15 p200 AK's.

We were struggling to find suitable drivers for these bins as the cone needs to move alot of air. This is what makes them so loud is because of the horns being so long. One is tuned to 30hz and the other is tuned to 65hz, I'm dying to hear what it would sound like with the RCF's and once its fully loaded and running off of a full Void rack I'll be happy.

Thinking of getting the measuring tape out and re-modeling them to house 18'' RCF's and seeing what kinda damage they will do.

Or, perhaps going right out of my way and getting some Pd 2450's

I can only dream...
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

If you make each horn 1/4 wavelength of the lowest frequencies they reproduce so as not to waste volume and make the combined length an odd number of half wavelengths of the crossover frequency (a la Dinsdale) the first time this works is when the short one is 5 times shorter. the next time is 9 times and there aren't (m)any drivers that can go this high before mass roll-off starts.

dinsdale does not make clear that he is talking about half wavelength horns. I applied this to quarter-wave horns without thinking it through so the above is completely wrong.

if you use 1/4 wave they should be in the ratio 1:3, 1:7, 1:11, etc
if you use 1/2 wave they should be 1:2, :1:4, 1:6, etc

Phil

Edited by snowflake - 17 October 2008 at 3:03pm
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 7:35pm
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2008 at 7:55pm
Would, if you work out the horns and BP correctly of course.

Dinsdale can be a bit funny sometimes...

EDIT: BTW, rich, don't want to dig out an old scab or something but if you want to know, I did some experiments and figured out why you don't put fullrangers like lowthers, fostexes, or jordans into horns that have phase plugs, exhibit compression, etc.

Edited by Deadbeat - 15 October 2008 at 7:57pm
Away on extended leave.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by rich_gale rich_gale wrote:

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/5656/doublehornxe5.png
would this work?

as you have drawn it the two horns are nearly the same length. the longer horn needs to have a much larger mouth and front chamber too.
staiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote staiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2008 at 9:29pm
Some bit older thoughts about "double tuned" ones .. Schematic is not actual plan ..so not to scale.. just sketched thoughts ..idea :)

When I get some will and time I can try to throw one in Akabak to see what it say.

..ehh ..damn. Can't insert picture so here is LINK

Edited by staiper - 25 October 2008 at 9:33pm
Hi_Varu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hi_Varu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 8:51am
look's interessant
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123