Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

USB2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 26272829>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by tomschute tomschute wrote:

Originally posted by inter-sound inter-sound wrote:

Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Perhaps I'm just a bit oldskool but I'd say not having them both firing into the same space, with a lot of concrete and walls, and a load of Stasys X just a few metres away would have been a more accurate test, even without your inebriation tampering with the results.

Remember, the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.

next time all the conditions are absolutely perfect, which is all the time when comparing systems in a linkup i will make sure i have a straight head on, perhaps i should have phrased my opinion differently, "on the day i thought the 8 punishers outperformed the 12 usb2s but this could be down to preferance or the surrounding environment" maybe one day ther will be an event wher the systems are facing oposite directions in a open field    

The USB2s were getting 500 watts each at st pauls. The Punishers were 2 a side off an inf8 mk1.

@ time bomb - I'm not sure about your comments on mechanical compression. The design of the horn will have a direct effect on cone excursion. I presume you have not simulated or tested the USB2 so are unable to quantify any speculation.

The RCF loaded cabinet has very well defined upper bass range. The punisher simply has not. Cetainly above 90Hz. 140Hz your dreaming.

I'll await Davey Ts response as the creator. We did A/B them against F1 218s.

Tom

Ive not simulated or tested or even heard the USB2 no, but I have simulated and listened to similar horns with similar drivers and these type of horns always sim with high excursion down low, i cant say ive driven any that hard other than HD15s but they are defiantly limited by excursion, i would expect larger/lower vertions to be the same.  That RCF does have a deep top plate so can be driven past the overhang without as much loss of BL as with driver with a shallow top plate, but 5mm overhang is not much for a driver of that thermall rating so i expect it will inevitably suffer from loss of BL and mechanical compression if you drive it hard
which the punisher does not, it is more limited thermally. 

They are quite different designs really though, the punisher is more suited to larger stacks with a seperate mid bass cab, BP horns like the USB2 F118 etc are more for smaller stacks where a full range bass cab is more sensible imo.
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
wtk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wtk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2012 at 2:16pm
hi, is usb2 still reverse loaded as usb for better cooling?
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 6:30pm
There are no over heating problems. It's a good design.

Tom
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
wtk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wtk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2012 at 1:25pm
hi davey, would you send me that nda you mentioned? it is not possible for me to buy finished ones as i am not from UK.
please mail me to adress from my profile.

Edited by wtk - 03 April 2012 at 1:27pm
superspunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superspunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2012 at 9:45am
So...finally, how can I get the plans. Davey....how is it possible..? I don't know how to contact with you

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superspunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2012 at 9:46am
So...finally, how can I get the plans. Davey....how is it possible..? I don't know how to contact with you
Tom Tapey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Tapey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2012 at 10:28am
I think Tomschute has the rights on them at the moment best speak to him.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superspunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2012 at 6:56pm
Thanks!
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2012 at 8:26pm
PM'd
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superspunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2012 at 11:22pm
PM sent

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superspunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 9:31am
Tomschute, I, ve sent you an email...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superspunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 9:32am
still I can not send PM's
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 26272829>