Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

USB2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB2
    Posted: 23 March 2008 at 4:55pm
Been working on this for a while and i finally finished a plan last week i was happy with. So we knocked up the first prototype and tested it.

Not sure if the world NEEDS annother bass bin design, but this one seems a goodun. I looked at all the other bandpass horns, especially fk1 and from past experience with the usb and dsub, i think i have a fair idea on what makes these things work and how to get them to play low. It was designed in CAD which was really good for making sure everything fits and calculating all the volumes.

Its a single 18", 75x75x50cm box.

The design principle is nothing new, its still a bandpass horn, but inside it doesn't look the same as any other i know of!

here is a response plot...

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/8186/usb21w1mfi1.p

BLue is USB2, yellow is a HD15. I'm not 100% sure about my SPL calibrations so thats why i put the hd15 in using the same gain settings etc to give a reference to get an idea of efficiency.

They were measured in the middle of my garden with pink noise. 2.8v Av on my true rms meter with the mic 1m away.

Next step is to build 4 and rinse them at a club. This is the real test! but it all looks really good so far..

Big%20smile

Edited by davey t - 25 March 2008 at 9:37am
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 5:04pm

1w0m. the mic is right infront of the speaker in the middle of the horn mouth. Blue is USB2 again..
da_audio_don View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da_audio_don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 5:06pm
Was it an easy build?
da_audio_don View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da_audio_don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 5:07pm
your design looks like it would go pretty low in multiples. I look forward to hearing what you have to say about how a stack of four sounds like.
Jhodas View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhodas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by da_audio_don da_audio_don wrote:

I look forward to hearing what you have to say about how a stack of four sounds like.

+1
Until the Lions have their own historians, tales of hunting will always glorify the hunter.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by davey t davey t wrote:

Not sure if the world NEEDS annother bass bin design, but this one seems a goodun.

Never too much. Looking good. Thumbs%20Up

**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 5:13pm
the world will always need new bass bins... keep 'em coming mr trotter, you're a machine! the curved mouth brace is a nice touch, makes them look a little different on the outside too. the plot is enviable, very solid to 40 in free space from such a tiny box, it's only a shade bigger than an f118 but looks a bit more real world friendly on its own. really well done, and keep us posted of course!

james.
mardy hippy.
davey t View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davey t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 6:01pm
Easy build? Well, they're more complicated than original usbs, but i went for best sound and a slightly more complicated design. There are 3 of us building the prototype from scratch on friday n we did it in about 4-5 hours. 
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 7:11pm
Like nice im liking the brace too, i take it from the cable hanging out the driver is reverse mounted?
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 7:24pm
Are you planing to share the plans?

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Tony Insanity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Insanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

Are you planing to share the plans?

+1, got my saw & router at the ready and have nothing better to do!
.....you might also look for her companion, a large Chinese rabbit, who is easy to spot since he is only standing on his hind feet in the shade of a cinnamon tree...
mylesound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mylesound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 3:08pm
if they go low in multiples id def. be intrested
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>