Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bandpass designs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsg mashed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2008 at 6:49pm
OK, so he's feeding the rear cone output through two cascaded resonators.

I can believe that this could make it easier to meet port area requirements for the final output port without them being insanely long - the same thing happens in bandpasses with cascaded resonators.

Edited by jsg mashed - 28 March 2008 at 7:00pm
...because Good is Dumb.
josh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2008 at 10:33pm
Sorry as a side note, how do you work out the optimum area that a port should be, is it something to do with the size of the chamber?

thanks
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2008 at 2:37am
Originally posted by josh josh wrote:

Sorry as a side note, how do you work out the optimum area that a port should be, is it something to do with the size of the chamber?

thanks

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prt/
You can see it depends on area,and volume of the enclosure.

Quote Port Length
The port length required to tune a volume of air to a specific frequency can be calculated by using the following equation:

Lv = (23562.5*Dv^2*Np/(Fb^2*Vb))-(k*Dv)

where,

Dv = port diameter (cm)
    Fb = tuning frequency (Hz)
    Vb = net volume (litres)
    Lv = length of each port (cm)
    Np = number of ports
     k = end correction (normally 0.732)

jsg mashed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsg mashed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by tb_mike tb_mike wrote:

Lv = (23562.5*Dv^2*Np/(Fb^2*Vb))-(k*Dv)

That formula determines port length given a certain area. To actually choose the area, the usual rule is to keep velocity less than 5% of the speed of sound. Some modelling programs give port velocity.

...because Good is Dumb.
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 8:41am
Rog said that the chamber behind each of the drivers is ~20L and with the port area he choose the ports would need to be 4.5meters long!!!!!
jsg mashed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsg mashed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 10:57am
Originally posted by Jake_Fielder Jake_Fielder wrote:

Rog said that the chamber behind each of the drivers is ~20L and with the port area he choose the ports would need to be 4.5meters long!!!!!

Yup, so that's a big area and a small chamber, and presumably a lowish tuning freqeuncy, making for a long port.

...because Good is Dumb.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 11:01am
Yeah, i optomisically thought i could grasp how that theory worked and apply it to a design of mine to free up space taken up by a port and give me more room for horn length.

Does anyone know where i can read up about this, or should i give up and just prototype what i have so far?

Cheers
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 11:59am
he also said it works like "blowing accross the top of a bottle"

I have already sketched this.. I'm pretty sure I have a rough idea of the inards... no I'm not posting my ideas.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 12:04pm
Yeah, i already know the general layout, its not like i could even start trying to work out the plans for Rogs cab, and i dont want to.

Im just interested in replacing a long port with a smaller chamber, in a different design.
But i think its probably more trouble than its worth (unless Rog wants to lend me his brain for a weekend)
Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 2:44pm
Ha ha,

To do you're heads in a bit more the port tuning frequency is sub 30Hz, so <30Hz.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 2:54pm
I give in, im going to build my prototype cab how it is, I think im being too optomistic! im not even sure that this "Rog effect" chamber would benefit me anyway.

My Design (its almost the same as the one i posted on this thread but designed around the E18-600A, but with a folded portErmm) if you're interested is a horn with a ported rear chamber, Tuned to something like 35Hz although i dont recall exactly, i havent looked at it for a while, i need to save up!

Edited by Jake_Fielder - 31 March 2008 at 2:55pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 4:54pm
@JSG Back on the bandpass bandwagon again, just re-reading this thread again, im gonna start a new thread in a bit with all this stuff set out nicely and i'll cover the basics of band pass for referance for other people.

you say that the driver is 2 orders (in a sealed chamber or not), every chamber and port added is 2 more orders, the rear chamber is included in the drivers suspention until its ported, adding two more orders.

So can you not get odd numbers? i assume the 2 orders come from the mass of the port and the "suspention" of the chamber, so what ever hapens you cant add just one? or am i wrong.?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>