Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bill Fitzmaurice - Omnitop 12s (built by Insomnia)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bill Fitzmaurice - Omnitop 12s (built by Insomnia)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsystemdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Disco Stu Disco Stu wrote:

Soundsystem Dan I think on here has also built Omnitops and DRs and he used wharfdale drivers which worked fine apparently.

I have built Omnitops, but no DR's.
The Wharfedale drivers were fine, but as i wanted them back in their original cabs I eventually got the money together for some Deltalites. This brought an improvement, mainly in the form of an extra dB or so.

Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 6:16pm
Before you do.... what are you planning to use em for?

Stu
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
Steak'n'ale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steak'n'ale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 2:51am
Playing music loud Big%20smile for sheets and giggles and because building speakers is fun.

I'd quite like to build some brown note horns Wink at some point so might need some top first as my mate already has more bass than he knows what to do with. I might need some help on the low crass filters for the brown note horns too.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 3:32am
Your first cab should be one that can be taken to many house parties. Important design consideration.

(and because my old double 15s use eminence delta drivers there's not much low end to annoy the neighbours!)
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Steak'n'ale Steak'n'ale wrote:

Playing music loud Big%20smile for sheets and giggles and because building speakers is fun.I'd quite like to build some brown note hornsĀ Wink at some point so might need some top first as my mate already has more bass than he knows what to do with. I might need some help on the low crass filters for the brown note horns too.

Brown note is a myth, was tested out a couple of years back with some serious SPL bass cabs, but nothing, nada, no brown trousers in sight.

Stu
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steak'n'ale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 12:34pm
Yeah, I know. They did it on myth busters and didn't find anything.

Its still funny though. Anyone modelled a bumhole as a ring occillator?
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 12:01am
Stu how much did they come to per cab if you don't mind me asking? Need some decent SPL but small footprint midtops soon, look like these might be a good option - feel free to pm if you dont want to broadcast it
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 2:09am
Originally posted by soundsystemdan soundsystemdan wrote:

Originally posted by Disco Stu Disco Stu wrote:

Soundsystem Dan I think on here has also built Omnitops and DRs and he used wharfdale drivers which worked fine apparently.
I have built Omnitops, but no DR's.The Wharfedale drivers were fine, but as i wanted them back in their original cabs I eventually got the money together for some Deltalites. This brought an improvement, mainly in the form of an extra dB or so.

timebomb on here is the man to ask about DRs, he's built 250s and 300s I believe.
DJ Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 2:38am
Nice Cabinets INSOMNIA Big%20smile

They look very nicely built! must have taken some time...
 I Think that this is a very interesting design, and must be bloodu LOUD too... i wonder what the sensitivity is on these, any ideas?
Also i would be interested in listening to these one day
well done you should be proud,,,building horn loaded mids is a time consuming task.
It's the thought that counts
soundsystemdan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsystemdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 8:48am
The greatest virtue of these cabs is they're NOT that difficult to build, although I had to do a bit of bodging with the horn top and bottom, it was nothing a bit of filing and filling wouldn't fix.
Sensivity iirc is ~103-104dB/m
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 1:35pm
Quote Brown note is a myth, was tested out a couple of years back with some serious SPL bass cabs, but nothing, nada, no brown trousers in sight.

Thats because they didn't do it right.  Just because they're Myth Busters, doesn't mean they know what they're doing all the time.

Serious SPL on its own won't do it, you need to be hitting the resonant frequecy of the bowel, and that is in the 7-10hz range, something that they were a looooong way from in the tests.  Although they had a nice lot of Meyer cabs there, none of those were suited to producing such a low frequency with any sort of efficiency.

The best way to learn about 'brown note' type effects is to read up on acoustic weapons tests, where they 'do' have evidence to suggest you can create nasty physical and psychological effects through noise/sound.  There is one website out there that gives the details of how to turn a room into a fairly effective VLF helmholtz resonator using power as small as 30w.

Not the article i was referring to but some interesting items...

Edited by norty303 - 10 May 2008 at 1:41pm
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steak'n'ale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 10:54pm
7Hz was where I thought it was meant to be. I never really looked at how they did it, just heard they didn't find it.

Everything has a resonant frequency...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>