Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stasys X Data

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 1:04pm
I would guess the bottom impedence hump is the low port tuning.. I think Rog said it was tuned below 20hz... looks like about 13 or 14hz to me.... must be some kick ass driver you have in there.

Alos have to say.. congrats man you must be chuffed with the results... I am soo looking forward to hearing these.

Edited by adambomb - 15 April 2008 at 1:05pm
JaKe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaKe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by adambomb adambomb wrote:

I would guess the bottom impedence hump is the low port tuning.. I think Rog said it was tuned below 20hz... looks like about 13 or 14hz to me.... must be some kick ass driver you have in there.

The peaks are where the driver isn't being damped by the ports / horn, tunings are approx 28Hz and 72Hz, but how the $*£% he got that much output out of the lower ports is what gets me.

Alos have to say.. congrats man you must be chuffed with the results... I am soo looking forward to hearing these.
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 1:22pm
Nope, im pretty sure that the first peak in impedance is the drivers resonance. the driver may have an Fs of 30Hz say, but once there is an airload either side of it the resonance drops down (its like adding mass to the drivers cone).  The tuning frequency is between the two lowest peaks.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by JaKe JaKe wrote:

but how the $*£% he got that much output out of the lower ports is what gets me.

Thats what im thinking! its an incredible output for a port, usually you cant make the ports match the horn output, im amazed!
FarmerWardy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmerWardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 1:34pm
these things really do make me smile.
the thing that amazes me most is the amount of kick you get from something that goes so dam low.

iv now forgotten what they sound like, but im sure the next time i hear it i will be just as amazed.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 1:53pm
There isn't an impedance peak for the driver at resonance because this is swamped by the port.  Take a closed box, it has one impedance peak.  For a reflex say you tune the port the same as the driver resonance, what you get are two peaks, one either side of the tuning frequency.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 2:17pm
All i know is that a driver on its own has a resonant frequency, and i thought that when you added a chamber with a port it added another impedance spike slightly above the tuning frequency, i thought the closer the tuning is to the drivers Fs the lower it moved it, also the higher you tuned the port the higher up in frequency the spike was, i also noticed as you tune the port higher and higher the spike gets smaller and smaller. But are you saying that by adding a chamber and port the drivers Fs is now not important, and you just get an impedance spike either side of the ports tuning frequency?
JaKe View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaKe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 3:04pm
A loudspeaker in free air has one impedance spike at resonance (Fs), when you put it in a ported box tuned around the Fs it will damp the impedance spike but not completely leaving an undamped area either side of Fs.

If you move the tuning above Fs the lower spike will be larger than the upper spike, if you tune below Fs then the opposite will happen.

You could then put another vented box on the other side of the driver and tune that to the  upper peak say and you would now have three peaks, all smaller than the Fs.

Looking at the plots the GD is very low at F3 and also the impedance spikes are small distortion is decent too. Damn.

JaKe

Edited by JaKe - 15 April 2008 at 3:08pm
ArKs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 5:54pm

Just played with Win-ISD - you can get a very similar impedance graph shape by using an 18XB in a 6th order bandpass cabinet with one side in a 140l box tuned to 30Hz and the other in a small 13l box tuned to 185Hz, but with the 110Hz spike missing which would be due the horn loading?

Lowest spike looks like damped Fs, then 50Hz spike dictated by 30Hz tuning and 230Hz spike due tuning of small chamber.

I notice this in Pro Sound News this month which uses an interesting alignment:
which looks like a 6th order bandpass with a horn loaded front chamber, and large vented rear chamber?

Rich

Edited by ArKs - 15 April 2008 at 6:09pm
chilli View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 6:22pm
jesus! who styled that?

thats one ugly bassbinDead
Money can't buy you happiness, but it can allow you to be miserable in comfort.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 9:50pm
I wonder what the 4th (smallest) impeadiance peak means?

Also i was racking my brain to remember what the plot looked similar to...
... then i realised i was thinking about this! I know its not very similar but there are certain characteristics that i recognised,

@Rog, do you take your plots in a warehouse 26 meters wide by any chance?
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2008 at 10:41pm
I'll get me coat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>