Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stasys X Data

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2008 at 6:03pm
I reckon you might be close.
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2008 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by jethrocker jethrocker wrote:

I'm sure Rog is enjoying having a bit of a tease and provoking some decent speaker related discussion/thought for a change..

This is the best thread I have ever been involved in IMO, and the main reason was because of what it made me do outside of the forum. It has made me step up my hornresp modeling alot and experiment with loads of different enclosures, and I'm not just looking at the spl & displacement anymore, I'm looking at impedance and group delay as well.
josh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2008 at 7:02pm
jake your actually making something out of nothing here, i have no intentions of haveing an argument nor am i trying to prove any kind of point all im saying is that i dont want rog to give away too much out of kindness...thats all, continue as you were
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2008 at 7:47pm
I may be wrong but to my mind, if you vent a port into a horn, surely it has a similar effect to when you horn load a driver, ie. the horn acts as an impedance transformer for the air and thus improves efficiency.

Good thread, BTW - interesting reading :)
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
tommysb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2008 at 8:11pm

Jake....I really would recommend you get a copy of akabak and mes arounf with it.....

coincidentally, I was trying to see if it was possible to get a stasys X like response from a 5 chambered ported horn........ It is very achieveable to hit 40Hz at about 103-105dB efficiency from a dual driver setup in a cabinet about the same size as a lab horn, IN SIMULATION.

When you start getting custom made drivers, and the engineering EXCELLENcE that Rog taled about with his Resonance Mapping, months of CAD to fit more enclosure into less volume, a great knowledge of materials, etc that the final 10Hz extension of the stasys X becomes achieveable, I think.

I think with custom drivers,
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2008 at 10:08pm
wow, im gonna try and get my teeth stuck into akabak then, it sounds really good. Then i can try and get my head round some more complex ideas....
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2008 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Wrighty Wrighty wrote:

I may be wrong but to my mind, if you vent a port into a horn, surely it has a similar effect to when you horn load a driver, ie. the horn acts as an impedance transformer for the air and thus improves efficiency.

Good thread, BTW - interesting reading :)

Port from rear chamber into throat, bill fitz did that with the 'snail' I think.

Remember that a port is highly resonant,and a horn is less so - you could compare the Q values I guess.Id like to see more info on here. If you search audioasylum.com with 'bill fitzmaurice, tomservo etc youl see all sorts

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/search.mpl?searchtext=port+horn&b=AND&topic=&topics_only=N&author=bill+fitzmaurice&date1=&date2=&slowmessage=&sort=score&sortOrder=DESC&forum=hug

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 9:02am
I've been thinking....  A chamber is a spring and a port is a mass, to get the effects of a long port from a chamber i'd have thought you need to make the air inside the chamber act as a mass that moves backwards and forwards, rather than compresses. The only way i can think of doing this would be to make the chamber a clever shape, so that the trick is more in the shape than of the volume and tuning.....? Just thinking out loud....
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 9:34am
Quote I've been thinking....  A chamber is a spring and a port is a mass, to get the effects of a long port from a chamber I'd have thought you need to make the air inside the chamber act as a mass that moves backwards and forwards, rather than compresses. The only way i can think of doing this would be to make the chamber a clever shape, so that the trick is more in the shape than of the volume and tuning.....? Just thinking out loud....

I think the secret could be in the designing and testing rather than modeling, hence the thousands of accelerometers!

The chamber in (Fig. A) will obviously act as spring of air, and will be compressed, this would NOT act as a longer port.

The chamber in (Fig. B) could possibly act as a longer port as there would be more mass inside the port yet the air in the chamber wont compress too much, the air would circulate in the chamber but could still act like a port. Just like blowing across the top of a bottle Wink
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Jake_Fielder Jake_Fielder wrote:

Quote I've been thinking....  A chamber is a spring and a port is a mass, to get the effects of a long port from a chamber I'd have thought you need to make the air inside the chamber act as a mass that moves backwards and forwards, rather than compresses. The only way i can think of doing this would be to make the chamber a clever shape, so that the trick is more in the shape than of the volume and tuning.....? Just thinking out loud....

I think the secret could be in the designing and testing rather than modeling, hence the thousands of accelerometers!

The chamber in (Fig. A) will obviously act as spring of air, and will be compressed, this would NOT act as a longer port.

The chamber in (Fig. B) could possibly act as a longer port as there would be more mass inside the port yet the air in the chamber wont compress too much, the air would circulate in the chamber but could still act like a port. Just like blowing across the top of a bottle Wink

Jake
you didnt include wavelength of sound and object involved. At bass frequencies youl find they do the same thing. Olson does a similar thing in his book, which shows mechanical or hydraulic analogies,electrical,and acoustic equivalent circuits.

If you can get akaback to do what you need,it should give you some form of result that is better than nothing.

Edited by tb_mike - 17 April 2008 at 10:37am
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 10:41am
Originally posted by tb_mike tb_mike wrote:

Jake
you didnt include wavelength of sound and object involved. At bass frequencies youl find they do the same thing.

Sorry, i dont get you? When i drew those pics I was just picturing a blast of air and whether or not it would compress.

Edited by Jake_Fielder - 17 April 2008 at 12:19pm
tommysb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2008 at 2:23pm
My uni Library doesn't have Olson in it....But as soon as I get back I'm geting out 'Acoustics  - Beranek' I believe it was a lot of acoustical/mechanical/electrical equivalents in it, a lot of discussion recently has made me really understand them more!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>