Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 15" Ported Horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K M Sound System Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2013 at 6:57pm
Jackalous Is there any chance of getting a copy of the sketch up file?
Been searching around but no luck and that looks the closest i've seen!

Thanks, 
Dub.
Jackalous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackalous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2013 at 4:01pm

I've added dimensions to my drawings of your plan, would this at all help you remember how you built them?
Jackalous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackalous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2013 at 4:02pm
Jackalous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackalous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2013 at 4:05pm
Sorry I am relatively new to all this, what do you mean by the cut-off? And how would I tune the port? 

Is there anything else you can tell me that would help when building these? Such as where you placed wadding (if any) and placing of the throat? Cheers
Jackalous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackalous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2013 at 4:07pm
Hi Dub, no problem mate, whats your email?
Jackalous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackalous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2013 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by K M Sound System K M Sound System wrote:

Jackalous Is there any chance of getting a copy of the sketch up file?
Been searching around but no luck and that looks the closest i've seen!

Thanks, 
Dub.

Hi Dub no problem mate, whats your email?
K M Sound System View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K M Sound System Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2013 at 12:33am
Cheers mate Thumbs Up
kollectivemindz@hotmail.co.uk

Much appreciated,
Dub
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2021 at 11:20pm
Time to drag up an old thread.  I had such fond memories of my old ported horn design that I finally ended up building another set!

Yes, there are two slightly different designs.  The bottom two were built by hand as prototypes then the top two were built from CNC cut parts once I was happy with the design and drawn them up.  First usage in anger is tomorrow, we'll see how they go!

JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2021 at 8:45am
So given that you didnt have plans did you basically have to design from scratch again?

How close to the original do you think they are, or have you managed an improvement? 

What drivers are you using?

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2021 at 9:38am
I wasn't designing completely from scratch because I had a good idea of what I was aiming for.  I used Hornresp to model it as I got fairly good agreement between simulation and reality when I built the last ones.  I imagine they are pretty similar to the originals.  Probably improvements in things like bracing and general construction.

Drivers are not ideal, they're RCF MB15H401 which are predominantly intended for use in mid-tops but I had 4 used drivers available, they simulated really well and are a very efficient driver.  The closely related LF15G401 would be better and that's what I'll probably use if I turn these into confetti!

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2021 at 9:29pm
Setup with my new 3-way mid-tops built last year on only their third outing.  Sounded really good, loads of headroom for the venue.

smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2021 at 7:55pm
That looks awesome mate! Glad to see speakers getting used! How have you found them?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>