Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 15" Ported Horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhtplsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2009 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Jake_Fielder Jake_Fielder wrote:

where did you take as the throat?

Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Between the middle and the edge of the driver. 

ceharden,
Can u tell why u prefer throat from between the middle and the edge of the driver.
I got understood from other post that throat from the edge of the driver is preferable.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2009 at 6:16pm
You have to guess where the effective throat is and I guessed there!

Also my impedance measurements suggest I guessed right!
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2009 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

If you change Hornresp to ported rear chamber mode you can input the port dimensions instead of the rear chamber stuffing parameters.

Just thought I'd add the easiest way to do this is to double click on the 'FR' or 'Tal' input fields, they will change to 'Ap' (Port area) and 'Lpt' (Port length).
Nigey-C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigey-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2009 at 11:41am
it is a shame that you dont have any designs for this.... as i am looking for soemthing just like this to replace my twin 15" push/pull cabs... they are loaded with L15P-200-AK-8... and i have 12 on them... imagine the stack of them....
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2009 at 8:23pm
It wouldn't take much work to recreate them.  I can probably give you enough info.
Nigey-C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigey-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2009 at 8:47pm
if you could give some rough measurements of where things should be that would be cool... even if its just a sketch with numbers and lines...
Hugo Biermann View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 12:02pm
Going on what I can figure out on the horn you sould get decent output with 18" drivers like XB's and similar for a chapish bass build... Its off the 15" topic though...
www.aggressiveaudio.co.za
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2009 at 6:13pm
Although the cab is physically big enough to fit an 18" driver, I tried simulating a few and it didn't look great.  I'm sure you could do an 18" version (like the Martin WMX etc) but you'd be best starting from scratch.
Bebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2012 at 7:22pm
Hi
Does anyone have a detailed plan of this cab
Thanks
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2012 at 7:25pm
Nope!  The guys that bought them off me were after plans for ages but since they had the cabs and I didn't it was quite hard for me to draw them!
Jackalous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackalous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2013 at 8:29pm

I'm quite interested in your design ceharden, so have had a go at recreating it in Sketchup (as accurately as I could from all the pics and info in this post). 
I'm planning on building a small rig for use at home, and have recently been given a few 15" drivers and have been looking for a vented horn design to put them in, as the drivers aren't the best and would have just got shredded in a sealed chamber design. 
Is there any other info you could give me about the design? Cheers

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2013 at 10:58pm
Drawing looks pretty accurate, even down to the fact that I'd used an offcut with a 45deg cut as one of the internal braces! LOL  Makes all the difference accoustically!

That's going to be a reasonable starting point.  You can do some simulations in Hornresp to see how it works with your drivers.

I found best performance with my drivers was achieved with the cut-off of the horn part at about 60Hz and the port tuned to 40-45Hz.  The rear chamber ends up at around 80L and the horn path is about 1-1.2m long.

It was designed by educated guesswork and a bit of luck so I'm afraid ultimately that's what you'll have to rely on!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>