Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eminence subs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djfaceatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eminence subs
    Posted: 07 May 2008 at 1:12am
Sorry if I am reposting a topic here but when I did the search I could not find any.

I have been reading in the forums and it seems as if Eminence speakers are frowned upon on these forums but yet and still I have not seen why. Can someone please shed the light on  this subject
Behind me is infinite power.
Before me is endless possibility.
Around me is boundless opportunity.
Why should I fear?
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 9:28am
A myriad of reasons depending on the situation. In my experience of them....

1) Poor response for the intended application
2) Relatively poor sound quality
3) Higher failure rate than their competitors
4) There are just some better put together drivers out there for similar money

Stu

Edited by Disco Stu - 07 May 2008 at 9:30am
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 11:08am

I guess that's why loser companies Like UREI (JBL), Klipsch, EAW, Community, buy woofers from Eminence?

If you buy the cheap Eminence Alpha, Beta, Gamma series you get what you pay for (a good inexpensive driver).

Since you live in the USA here is a good inexpensive ($130 a pair) Eminence design:

Let's see, we have an Sd of 1700cm and an x-max of 9.1mm, so that's a volume displacement of 1.547L. An 18" would have an Sd of 1200cm, so it would need an x-max of 13mm to move the same amount of air. How much is that going to cost you? $400? $500?

Edited by _djk_ - 07 May 2008 at 11:32am
djk
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 11:21am
There are a lot of very cheap off-the-shelf Eminence drivers with very average performance which drag down the reputation of the whole brand.  Eminence OEM drivers are a different story.

There are some good drivers off the shelf but at the same price range I often find that P-Audio are just slightly nicer.

Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

There are a lot of very cheap off-the-shelf Eminence drivers with very average performance which drag down the reputation of the whole brand.  Eminence OEM drivers are a different story.There are some good drivers off the shelf but at the same price range I often find that P-Audio are just slightly nicer.

And thats the point, once you get to the ranges of Eminence where the performance of the drivers is higher, the cost becomes similar to other companies drivers which have better specs.

The point being if you want a cheapie cheap driver Eminence will have something that fits your budget.

If you want to pay 3 figures you might find there's some competition worth considering.

Eminence OEM is completely different, I don't think anybody on here has slated anything from their OEM department. Quite frankly I don't see how they can make some fantastic OEM drivers and still continue with some of the Eminence branded ones when they can make so much better.

DJK.... I have done some research and it seems there is only one place you can actually buy the 15269 online and I am guessing that martin audio pro store is yours? If so do you know how much shipping costs are international on them, specifically to the UK. The only thing I am concerned about is having a driver with such a low BL.

Stu

Edited by Disco Stu - 07 May 2008 at 3:01pm
All you need to know is:

My acts:
da_audio_don View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da_audio_don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 5:35pm
I've used a Wide variety of eminence drivers for different applications and I don't have anything bad to say about them. Even the cheaper stuff like the Betas, Gammas, and the Deltas work very well for low power sound reinforcement/monitor applications. Many of the night clubs in my area have custom cabinets loaded with Eminence drivers and they sound fine. I haven't managed to blow any of the eminence drivers I currently own, and Even the Gamma 15s sounded decent in some reflex bass bins that I built a little while back even though they don't handle much power, but it works for lower power small venue applications. Once I load all of those bins with the Eminence 15269 (which is the driver that djk modeled above), it should turn out to be a fantastic enclosure and a pretty cheap build. Right now, I'm doing some experimentation with the Kappalite 3015 and I'm fallin more in love with it by the minute! I agree that there are better lines out there, but Eminence makes excellent speakers IMHO...
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 11:10pm
Its horses for courses, Eminence woofers make good hire stock because they are relatively cheap to replace, I know someone who uses nothing but Eminence and some of his boxes sound good. There are select Eminence woofers that I have personally heard or used that I liked the sound of in their intended application.

Alpha 8MR on a horn (one of Rogs)
Delta Pro 12 on a horn
Beta 10 on a horn

The same Beta 10s in a reflex sounded appauling which is why I made a last desperate effort to try and get something good out of them. Eminence Omega Pro 15 and 18, not impressed. Eminence Gamma 10 + 12, not impressed. Alphas............

On the basis that I have had more poor experiences with eminence than good ones you can see why a lot of people might have an axe to grind about them, I just think they let themselves down a bit with the cheaper series dragging the impression of the whole batch down.

I think they have and will continue to have some good things to offer in the future, from what I hear their Kappalite 3015LF is a big seller, and is a very good driver for the money.

Having heard some deltas and delta pros IMO this is where I think the decent Eminence drivers really start.

Stu

Edited by Disco Stu - 07 May 2008 at 11:13pm
All you need to know is:

My acts:
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 10:31am

Good drivers from the stock Eminence line-up include:

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/lab-12.pdf   (bass horn driver)
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/kappapro-15lf-2.pdf  (good dual 15 vented)
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/definimax-15lf.pdf
   (tapped horn woofer)
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/sigmapro-18-2.pdf   (versatile inexpensive 18)
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/delta-12lfa.pdf
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/kappalite-3015lf.pdf  (good vented box or tapped horn)

In the USA these are very good for the money, European drivers are too much here. The situation is probably the reverse on that side of the pond.

"DJK.... I have done some research and it seems there is only one place you can actually buy the 15269 online and I am guessing that martin audio pro store is yours? If so do you know how much shipping costs are international on them, specifically to the UK. "

The 15269 was originally designed for a (now discontinued) Yamaha dual 15 box. Bud Martin has them custom made and is the only reasonable place to buy them. I don't think it would be economical to ship just a few to the UK. A container of 50+ pieces might be worth the effort, it would be a 4' cube and weigh about 800lbs.
djk
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 11:51am
If they are so good and look like they are very useful why do Eminence not re-release them as a the Delta 15 SLF or something

Stu
All you need to know is:

My acts:
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 10:15pm

Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

In the USA these are very good for the money, European drivers are too much here.

I guess that's in your area. In NYC there are more European Drivers available than American in reference to 15 & 18 inch woofers. And that's based on popularity.

RCF
B&C
P Audio
Beyma
Fane
Celestion
Eighteen Sound
Silenium

Price points are usually the same (Whether US or Europe) so, it boils down to which driver is better suited for the job.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
jahmani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jahmani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 8:14pm
Greetings, I am also new on this phorum, and also relatively new to the speaker business. I tried to search for this but couldn't find so i'll ask in this topic:

Would the EMINENCE SIGMA PRO-18s work well in the G-sub model? I'm planning on installing these to my G-Sub cabs, surprisingly, due to the fact that  they are in my budget range (and since it's a reflex cab, I understand the design isn't SO picky about the speaker element.)

These  two G-subs will be used in a small portable soundsystem with my X-10s as mid-tops.
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 9:18pm
win isd is your friend!
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>