Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin Audio Line Array

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattyTheRig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin Audio Line Array
    Posted: 13 May 2008 at 11:37pm
Right, i know its not one of my projects, but i have to say... Hats of to THE AUSTRALIAN PINK FLOYD SHOW....

Saw thier recent show at the nia, and the sound was second to none.... they used half the arena (which i think did the sound some MASSIVE favours) and i think the production was by Wigwam.

they were using martin line array, i think it was the w8lc... looked bigger than the w8lm... and they used d&b b2 subs and the sound was exceptional. far far better than many other shows i've seen at the nia (jeff wayne's war of the worlds, with a massively expensive system being a notably bad one).

Had a great night, good sound, in an arena!
Sounds Good...
CLsystems View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLsystems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 2:19pm
from my experience of wigwam they know what they are doing.

tallmike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 8:43am
Longbow's probably the best sounding array out there.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 9:41am
Only time I've ever heard Longbow was about 16 boxes/side and it was awful....
However I'm willing to believe it was the people running it causing the issues!
djstefanos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djstefanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 3:12pm
we have 16 Martin Audio W8L, 8 per side. Far better sounding cabinet than anything we have heard
Bespoke View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bespoke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 3:35pm
THE AUSTRALIAN PINK FLOYD SHOW USE A LOT OF D&B LINE ARRAY WITH 6X B2 SUBS ALWAYS IN CENTER OF THE STAGE Thumbs%20Up
spudmiester View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudmiester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 6:40pm
Heard Martin line array with Take That at Newcastle metro arena. Cant say I was that impressed. It was ok.
cnics View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2008 at 7:08pm
I've heard longbow sound less than impressive, but then i've heard it sound second to none. The same applies to alot of systems, those we come to know as being fantastic, don't always sound good, this might be the room, the source material, or the operator, or a mixture of that and other things.
It probably is my favourite array out there, whilst i'm not a line array fan, in situations where it IS the best option then it would be my first choice (when dealing with large arrays not mini stuff).

The smaller the martin arrays get the less impressed i've been, the W8LC is a nice system but i just don't think it has the edge like the longbow. The W8LM i haven't been impressed with at all but i've not used it in many environments so can't really say too much about it.

Rob
Rob Beech - Technical Director - Cnics Audio
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2008 at 8:30am
Imagine how much better it'd sound if the sound engineers had speaker systems emulating point sources Wink  Line arrays are great if  u want good speech intelligibility everywhere but crap for music.
What I cannot create, I do not understand
djstefanos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djstefanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2008 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by roborg roborg wrote:

Imagine how much better it'd sound if the sound engineers had speaker systems emulating point sources Wink  Line arrays are great if  u want good speech intelligibility everywhere but crap for music.

Its crap for dance music.

Play a live rock band on it, those tom toms and snares penetrate your face.
cnics View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2008 at 6:31pm
There's much much MUCH more to it than that.

Line array has its place for speech, for music, for everything, but it's NOT the ideal system for more than i'd say a 1/10 of the jobs its used for.  Laziness and not really knowing the right system to use and how to use it is why the other 9/10 of its uses.

Additionally. Most of most arrays is acting like point source anyway.  Just incredibly un-flexible point source. With only the top sections of the larger arrays really starting to act like a line array.  That all said, the top sections of many point source arrays with 0 degree vertical splays use the same properties as the line arrays anyway. 

Effectively apart from the very top of the array, you get a point source array, without the benefits of a real point source array (true arrayability with flexibility in position in both the vertical AND horizontal planes).

I can penetrate faces with any array :P
Rob Beech - Technical Director - Cnics Audio
arxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 1:28pm
Planning to go for W8LC are they good or should i go for DAS AERO 38

Edited by arxxx - 21 October 2008 at 1:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>