Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin Audio Line Array

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 8:39am
Originally posted by cnics cnics wrote:

There's much much MUCH more to it than that.

Line array has its place for speech, for music, for everything, but it's NOT the ideal system for more than i'd say a 1/10 of the jobs its used for.  Laziness and not really knowing the right system to use and how to use it is why the other 9/10 of its uses.

Additionally. Most of most arrays is acting like point source anyway.  Just incredibly un-flexible point source. With only the top sections of the larger arrays really starting to act like a line array.  That all said, the top sections of many point source arrays with 0 degree vertical splays use the same properties as the line arrays anyway. 

Effectively apart from the very top of the array, you get a point source array, without the benefits of a real point source array (true arrayability with flexibility in position in both the vertical AND horizontal planes).

I can penetrate faces with any array :P

Id fully agree with 99% of that.....
Bodong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2008 at 11:41pm
Hi all,
I made audio rental for weekend pay some bill not a big system but it grow lately I found a "non line array" system like Dynacord XA series, HK countour, KV2 VHD series really made me impress compare to many line array system, I am not sure about what made this happend is the operator or the system for example I heard XA series from 2 rental company the first one consistently sound better than the last one. 
if my budget allow I think KV2 VHD series will in my first list in for my investment the XA series second sorry line array will in my seventh.
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2014 at 1:18pm
I need to do some tuning of w9lm boxes in a club, they sound awful with highs making the audience deaf, just wanted to hear if anyone has any suggestions / tricks for this particular box?
Obviously i need to turn down the highs & do some eqing for room resonances.

They have only 2 per side, but its ok I think as they have a low concrete ceiling and a concrete floor!
Sounds awful until audience arrives. below this they have 6 wsx boxes per side!

Edited by tv00 - 27 October 2014 at 1:20pm
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2014 at 1:26pm
Do you mean a W8lm? the mini line array?

If so, I too hired in a W8lm system for a small festival this year, we were astonished at the amount of EQ we had to apply to the system to get it sounding half decent. Incredibly harsh top end I thought. 10K was just plain dangerous!! Wasn't what I expected anyway.

Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2014 at 1:43pm
They are not designed to work as two per side, so no wonder the HF is bright. More boxes you add more low end boost you get, so it smooths out. There are dsp settings on the martin site. That can help i hope.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2014 at 1:47pm
4 a side minimum I'd say, better with six..
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2014 at 2:07pm
six is about the minimum to get them work as line array anyway. small boxes.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2014 at 6:30pm
Ah, the problem is that they don't couple low enough in pairs? manual says minimum 3 cs per side.
I didn't put them, but I think they've thought it was the perfect splay, anyway they're really harsh!

I'm afraid I'd have to add a lot of eq too:-(
GorillaAudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GorillaAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2014 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by tv00 tv00 wrote:

I need to do some tuning of w9lm boxes in a club, they sound awful with highs making the audience deaf, just wanted to hear if anyone has any suggestions / tricks for this particular box?
Obviously i need to turn down the highs & do some eqing for room resonances.

They have only 2 per side, but its ok I think as they have a low concrete ceiling and a concrete floor!
Sounds awful until audience arrives. below this they have 6 wsx boxes per side!

if you only have 2 per side, I'd try and find a pair of Martin W8VDQ's. They are basically a W8LM and W8LMD glued together and designed just for this sort of '2 box a side' use and they sound amazing. From what you say though in regards to the space, id also try and find some drape or material to cover the back wall or something. 

Edited by GorillaAudio - 29 October 2014 at 12:18am
ruelectrical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ruelectrical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2014 at 7:17pm
I firmly believe if you buy a rig with a Division A  badge, designed by enginneers with years and pedigree of experience, if you set it up as manufacturers want it to be heard you aint going to go far wrong with any of the current line array systems, sound bloody great.
Start to change things for the sake of it , your ears get confused and you forget how it should sound,
Classic case at Pro this year, the smallest rig in the big room , Martin Audio ( yes I am potentially bias as I own a bit), sounded the sweetest, no eq  just a nice clean audio source and system doing as designed 
Shaun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2014 at 7:18pm
I saw Aussie pink floyd last year in Cardiff and the line array was their own, it was an Admson rig, quadraphonic and ssl desk, their sound engineer is the original pink floyd one, can't remember his name now but spent some time talking with him, very nice chap, and will have to say the sound was excellent
No, it is not a line array it is some well stacked boxes...............
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2014 at 7:49pm
ok, so basically you say he'd need 1 more per side or a W8DVQ to get a proper response, I'll check the dsp setiings, it should be manufacturer settings, but no doubt they sound harsh when pushed.
My system sounded nice in there last weekend just as it came with my personal "factory settings", but I improved it, I always do as much as I can with the crossover, often I do eq and move the results to the xover if possible.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>