Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hill Audio Speakers and amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2009 at 11:11pm
My old mate John Evelegh had some M2s I believe.

My first 'powerful' amp was a Hill TSA-1602, 1600w into 2ohms per channel. I got it cheap because one side of it was completely burnt to a crisp!

Amp still works to this day, sold it on to a mate years ago!
matty k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2009 at 6:23am
Anyone have Concept or Datum series console schematics? 

A company I work for has loads of Hill gear, all acquired from Headwater Audio in Windsor Canada when they went under in the early 90's. We have about 40 TX1000's in service in our clubs and restaurants in the Kitchener Ontario Canada area. many of our cabinets are the M4 design that were modified by headwater, and further modified by us with current mid and horn drivers, as the originals are no longer available. We have been using the ATC 12" drivers in our monitors as well as some 2 way mid high cabs we had made for us.  
The Garglebard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Garglebard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2009 at 7:22pm
Most of the gear in this thread is a little bit before my time, but i do have an old Hill LC 800 amp which i've had for 10+ years now. I think i read somewhere that they have a nasty habit of putting a DC current through the speaker outputs?

It's still working fine in one channel, but the volume control on the other channel has developed a fault. The channel itself is fine - but the faulty volume control makes it unusable Cry

I'd like to get it fixed but i suspect that getting it repaired would be tricky, which is a pity as is sounds pretty good and has - up to now - been very reliable.
tektonik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tektonik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 5:21pm

i own a hill audio rig that is still in use around dorset i think its the one dannyxb70 used to own as i bought it from somebody in kent

sorry about the poor quality pictures will take some more next week when i set up again

nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 9:27pm
www.abra.co.uk
 The repair bloke John knows his Hills, worth a call.
It's everything, not everythink!
The Garglebard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Garglebard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2009 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by nickyburnell nickyburnell wrote:

www.abra.co.uk
 The repair bloke John knows his Hills, worth a call.

I'll give that a try - been meaning to get it looked at. 

Thanks Nicky Thumbs Up
tektonik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tektonik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2009 at 11:22am
just found a couple more photos that are better quality
horns are jbl 2345

djsteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2009 at 6:23am
Hi to everyone,

I have a hifi version of what was the Chameleon 900s, called the Chameleon Ruby, (1u, fixed outputs, no volume input switches, no fans, runs hot when hammered,) output was listed as in_excess of 200wpch into 8 ohms, (approx 287wpch against the hifi world fidelity firewall). Hi fi news rated it as "good", what hi fi said "good" Hi fi world said this,  Chameleon Ruby, £995 Jan 1996, "Well specified and powerful, but dry and short of life. Suits Rock on bass-heavy 'speakers." 

I beg to differ though, just because Hill audio was a studio/band equipment manufaturer, the hifi experts couldnt accept that the Hill stuff was good, and that the Ruby was their Hifi effort, so they gave it an ok rating.

Ive not used it for about 5 yrs, plus it had little use, due to using a high end Denon 7.1 cinema amp for all of my listening needs, but i no doubt it will fire up ok after all this time. Im planning on making one of the bedrooms into a studio for recording etc and using it again.

Not many of these been on ebay, whenever i said id sell it, nobody wanted to part with a large sum of money so i kept it, for rainy day.

I must have had it for 13 yrs now and its mint with box, came with a 5yr g'tee, only prob i had after 2yrs was a dry joint on the XLR input, which i fixed myself. Rang Malcolm up and he said i could drop it off to fix for free as it had a 5yr g'tee, however a 300mile round trip wasnt worth the bother. 

I also wonder what one would be worth now, seems Hill audio stuff is collectable, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Edited by djsteve - 16 February 2009 at 6:32am
Paul Martyn SSL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Martyn SSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2009 at 9:16pm
Hi everyone,  Paul Martyn here from SSL.  I had some Hill M6 cabs the ones with six Volt 10" for low end, two Tannoy's for mid and super hi with an Emilar 2" compression driver to finish it off.   

I bought them directly from Malcolm Hill after he demo'd two pairs to me in his gigantic warehouse at the back of his mansion. I was blown away by the power, clarity and immense bassline from cabs that were so shallow in size and fairly bland in appearence.

The above demo was powered by Malcolm's Chameleon amps which were fed by a quarter inch jack plug in the headphone socket of a knackered pioneer hifi cd player too....

I actually sold these to John Eveleigh because at the time I suffered quite a bad back injury which fortunately has gone for some ten years or so now.  Remember the M6 weighed in at 160kgs (351lbs) this made moving them a nightmare. Bear in mind that at the time I shifted them on my own with some guidance  from the wife..!  

We were doing a lot of "Rave" type gigs, I say Rave but basically it was a lot of wealthy guys and girls who had huge parties.  The main thing I always remember about the M6's was the fact that they never ever seemed to suffer the problem with location, ie you could use them just about anywhere in any situation and they still sounded amazing. The djs at these parties used to say stuff like, "Are you having a laugh with this sort of power".
More often than not the system was backed off as it was just to much on the dancefloor.

Sorry, back to the reason I have joined this forum. I'm looking into getting some more M6's as I now have younger fit guys who work for me to help move them around. It's a bit of a mid-life crisis I suppose but it has to be done. I want to try them with current day amps and processing. I need to borrow one firstly just to make sure it'll be worth it and if so I have a company who can build them for me. I'm having real difficulty finding any anywhere so if you know anyone please let me know. Theres plenty in Maryland USA still being used MHA America to good effect.

Kindest Regards

Paul Martyn. 
CLsystems View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLsystems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2009 at 10:29pm
dannyxb70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dannyxb70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 8:05pm
Hussar!
Paul Martyn SSL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Martyn SSL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 8:58pm
Hi Danny,

Thanks for that, I've seen them and am waiting for the outcome.

I hope they're as good as I remember.

It's strange how no one has got any normally and no one ever mentions them
on these type of forums, I strongly suggest having a listen to heavy dance tunes
on these boxes.

Cheers Anyway.

Paul.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>