Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Froggy and the Soulweekenders.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 30>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Froggy and the Soulweekenders.
    Posted: 17 May 2008 at 3:18pm
As you may already know I used to follow the Froggy rig as a yut'dem to the all-dayers and weekenders,Confused maybe JBL can explain to the youngsters what they wereWink

anyway, I want something cleared up once and for all

when I used to go to these gigs I once saw at the 'Purley' all dayer (JBL?) 2 huge pyramid stacks, and I mean huge

now this question is for Tony and JBL and anyone one else who can remember

who built Froggy's rig?

the reason I'm asking is, I used to have many a cup of tea (did someone say tea?) with John Dean and his dad, god bless him. John told me that it was his rig that froggy had and it was his father that built it?

whats confusing me is...allot of the time it was ASS, but at the Purley all dayer it was the Altec style/JBL 15 horn ported cabs with the chrome dome center drivers, wow! what a memory I haveWink

well I hope I haveLOL  I'm sure Ian (JBL) will pull up a picture and prove me wrong

well John still had some of those cabs in his old shop, and his dad had built them so thats why I kind of believed him

that system is still the biggest and loudest I have ever seen, we are talking 1979, JBL?

so! who built froggy's rig?

if it was you Tony, could it be possible that John was half right?

and talking of John, what the hell has happened to him?

if someone has got a pic of the most fanatastic day of my youth I will run naked down Legian street waving an American flag 

Edited by mykey - 21 May 2008 at 6:12am
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 3:26pm
like these they were, the bottom cab nearest to you 

unless I'm going around the bend

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 6:49pm
Ok Mike.....well here goes.....
 You are absolutely correct re.the Purley alldayer,that was in 1978, Froggy (Steve Howlett) was using his Matamp/Orange system,argumented with the addition of the double Altec 816 style cabs you mentioned...these had the early Gauss 4580 200watt "chrome dome" drivers in.....now wether John Dean built those 2x15s i dont know......

It was in late `79 `early 80s that Froggy bought some of Tony`s ASS concert system...

It was the latter alldayers that had this new improved system....Steve still used the Matamp/orange valve amps for mid hi,but Tony`s 215 bass horns were driven from RSD 800c`s........when i saw him at his regular Royalty nights,he had six stacks of Tony`s concert rig....
each stack was 2x 215s with Gauss 15`s ,one 212 mid with Rcf`s,one Matamp radial horn with Vitavox S2,and Tonys ASS piezo box,with 8x peizos.

It was this rig that became the Caister rig for all the soulweekenders....there was 6 stacks of this.

In the mid `80s Froggy added 4 of Tony`s JBL 4520 style 2x15 scoops for extra low-end....i know,cos me and Simon Harris borrowed it for some soul nights at the Ilford Palais in the mid 80`s.
Ian! 

Edited by jbl_man - 18 May 2008 at 11:47am
Be seeing you.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 7:54pm
Thats mad, I typed 1978 then changed it becaus I wasn't to sure

I knew I was right about the altecs and chrome domes

was you there as well Ian? what a road block

cheers Ian
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 11:58am
Mike,i have renamed this thread,so anyone interested in him,it will then show up in a search.

I didnt go to the early Purley alldayer...but i think i have some photos of it somewhere,i will look......i first saw Froggy in 1979 with the early part matamp/part ASS rig  at the Royalty in Southgate...really big place that..held about 600-700 people.

here is a few good quality live recordings of Steve done at Epping Forest country club in 1982/82.

Just two stacks of Tony`s concert system were used there,as the dance floor was tiny.
Ian.
Be seeing you.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 7:27pm
Black and white snaps from the 1978 Purley alldayer....sorry about the quality Mike!

Chris Hill of course.

Froggy and Sean French.

Robbie Vincent with the guys from Heatwave.

Chris Hill again.
Be seeing you.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 10:09pm
Just to get some dates into perspective. The Concert system came together towards the end of '79. Steve came to us sometime later. I built a console for him as well as amp racks, and supplied him with 1200's which I used to by from Unisound in Maldon Surrey.
The only big gig I got involved with, was the national Soul day where we combined our Q system with his Concert system to make up the rig. We had a small rental company called The London Thunder Company. This was a collaboration between Paul Samuelson (Whose dad was part of Sam Cini) and myself. The PA thing was purely a live system
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 3:42am
So John was telling me the truth, cool!
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 3:44am
Ian!! you have made my day with them pic's
thank you thank you

I shall be sending them onto the rest of the gang "WASTED"
cheers
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 3:46am
Just noticed......Chris Hill seems to have more hair now than he had then LOL
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 11:07am
Some more photos....the first black and white ones are more from the 1978 Purley alldayer....are you in there somewhere Mike?

These colour ones are Caister `79 and 80.
You can see the early version of the Froggy`s Matamp console here....Did you build this one Tony,or was yours the later one with the Supernova mixer and the flightcase edging i think?

Here is another shot of the earlier console,with DJ Chris Hill....u can see the early QRK turntables.

Be seeing you.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 4:38pm
.....and more photos...
To give you younger guys an idea of how popular these soul Alldayers were in the `70s, this is the Alldayer at Ally paly..over 6000 people turned up....
Robbie Vincent is the dj on the right.

Be seeing you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 30>