Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Froggy and the Soulweekenders.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 30>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 4:43pm
Here is the Froggy rig again,in 1980 this time....Mike,u can see the Altec style cabs on the extreme right of this pic,next to Froggys ASS system....
Be seeing you.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 6:04pm
Ian, I'm stunned anyone knew what a QRK galaxy was? totally wicked turntable and had the SL1200 not been about £1200 cheaper we'd all have been using them instead of the Technics! seem to remember they were £1800 each (without the hardwood tone arm)
I really need a pair of these please! 
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 8:41pm

Edited by mykey - 21 May 2008 at 4:29am
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 9:42pm
Some lovely stuff and photos chaps. I had the pleasure of having Robbie, Greg, Tony and Chris as guests in the late 80's when DJing for a promotor called Bob Holtum. It was at the beginiing of the house/acid scene and Bob was a litttle confused as to, ahem, superstar DJ's. The chaps were all professional though and pulled a good, mixed crowd on top of our new sweaty blood. Bob ran a night in Camberly just before I met him, Frenchies, where he used many of the big soul names. He also used Robbie and Greg at the Red Lion in Hounslow if I remember, late 70's, I was just out of school. PA was suppled by Darryl Hayden one week and Kelly the next. It was like a big upstage thing, who had the most 4560/4520 stacks. Bob used to tell a good story that when looking around one night at Darryl's latest stacks he noticed that many of the cab's were empty! Bob was a little bit of a rogue to say the least, although I earnt well out of him for ten years. Anybody that knew him should know that he passed away earlier this year.
 Anyhow anybody got any pictures of old Turner amps?
It's everything, not everythink!
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 4:12am
I gave my brother Alfie a link to this, and straight away he found one of our crew

Richard’s  one of the "WASTED" crew, he's the geezer who's eyeing up the situation, IE: trying to bunk in the line, Winktypical Richie stylee Clap

Blue boiler suit with "WASTED" on the back and underlined with a middle finger gesture

Typical of my brother to find one of us before I did, thanks Alf.

Edited by mykey - 21 May 2008 at 4:38am
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 1:43pm
More Caister photos..this is Caister Soulweekender number 2...october 1979....
Dj`s are Chris Hill,Sean French,and Froggy...complete with bowler hat....
Be seeing you.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 8:38am
Along the same lines as the Soulweekenders...here is 3 videos of Chris Hill at the famous jazz-funk club, the Goldmine in Canvey island in late `70s.....you can see the Disco-supplies "glitter systems" speakers piled up in there.

Be seeing you.
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 12:23pm

I was only born in 83, so i missed all of this.....but its fine reading guys. Cheers :)

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 12:51pm
You really missed something big

Remember these were the days without extasy, and everyone still got on great
people shook hands and hugged and also what was great at Caister was everyone was in and out of each others chalets without any arguments

it was one of the great moments in my life, and also got me hooked on sound after seeing Froggy set up and do a sound check, I should'nt have been in the hall but glad I sneaked in now
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 12:58pm
Forgot to mention that, 22 years later Froggy came to a club I was engineering a Wattco sound system, Froggy came to me and shook my hand and said he loved the sound

that for me was the icing on the cake, after being in Awe of him all those years before

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

You really missed something big

Remember these were the days without extasy, and everyone still got on great
people shook hands and hugged and also what was great at Caister was everyone was in and out of each others chalets without any arguments.

Mike is absolutely right,the atmosphere at these shows was great,everyone was really freindly,and the only drugs came in a ring-pull can named "lager"...and lots of it!

People would even stop and help each other fix their cars on the journeys(these were the days of British Leyland etc,so breakdowns were frequent).
Be seeing you.
chris_k View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 9:53pm
Froggy got a few mentions and a touch of an old interview on radio2`s recent history of dance series. (a couple of saturdays ago)

Edited by chris_k - 30 June 2008 at 9:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 30>