Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Froggy and the Soulweekenders.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 30>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Leyton Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leyton Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Brighton Alldayer i think
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 9:32pm
From the 3rd Caister Soul Weekender program,April 1980.........

Be seeing you.
simonh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 9:54pm
What a great page in the program, there not like that now a days....  A young Sean French, have not seen him at Caister for a few years, shame, he was my favourite dj last time he played their, playing a soulful house set in the second room.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 8:48am
I love the reference to 32 Bullit Sweepers. Obviously designed to sweep HF over your head.

Edited by TONY.A.S.S. - 19 February 2013 at 9:46am
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 8:56am
I bet the floor was clean Tony.
Billy Dawg.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 9:54am
Just as a matter of interest, Those super tweets on the top of the rig, were an idea that was given to me by my old friend Euan craig at Tasco. I had walked in one day and saw a box with these in them. Euan had told me it was an experiment of theirs just to look and see. So I went straight back to the Factory and made some. A box like that would still work today crossed over above 6k. I think I was paying around £6.00 each for the Motorola's.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 11:39am
Yes indeed, "32 Bullit Sweepers" or,in English,four boxes of 8 peizos. Wink

The half a dozen times i heard them,certainly very loud,if not very hifi....but back then,four boxes of four JBL 075/2402 would have been a fortune.

As you say Tony,crossed properly,they would still work today.

Be seeing you.
To Old Now View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote To Old Now Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 2:37pm
Great for getting HISSSSSSS when playing Motown!
You want it when?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 6:23pm
Seeing that last photo reminds me of the time we changed horns on the system. Steve thought he had the best with an S3 and the vitavox horn. I did explain the horns could make all the difference to the sound. Anyway we were able to do an A-B test, because I had an adaptor for the S3 which was a screw-on. Steve couldn't believe the difference, our 803 horn won the day, the vitavox had some serious dips in the response which disappeared when we changed horns. Quite a satisfying day really.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 12:45pm
That would explain why Steve's Matamp/Vitavox horns changed to your big radials around 1982 Tony! Thanks for that.

On a similar note...when Steve first approached you in the late 70's,to replace his older Matamp-Orange system with something bigger/louder/better,was the ASS concert system already in existance?,as im guessing Steve would have been one of the first customers of these Tony?...i think it was around late '79 that i first heard his ASS system at his regular gig on Saturday nights at the Royalty in North london.
Be seeing you.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 4:00pm
Larry Levan and Frog.

Be seeing you.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2013 at 9:43am
Hi Ian, The Concert system was already in existence, as was the Q system. They were the first major systems I had attempted. I had already done lots of different cabs for individuals, but never an attempt at a logical layout. Since then, of course, it's been hard for me to think of any singular cab without thinking about the complete set. With the Concert system, My most satisfying bit was the Low Mid cab. In the few systems that were about in the day, there wasn't anything that sat on top a bass bin that would be similar in concept and would match the throw of the Bass Cab. Both Dave Martin and myself were using the RCF L12P24, but I did my cab and he put his into the Philly Shave. The large 803 Horn was done much earlier than the system and was the result of Tasco asking me to come up with an alternative lightweight to the 2350. This was around 1976-7. Good Days.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 30>