Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Froggy and the Soulweekenders.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 30>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2013 at 11:12pm
Yes I was second gen mod. Born in 64. I do remember going round the block on the back of my cousins vespa around 1970 though...lol.

TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2013 at 8:30am
The Mod days were great, there has never been another movement to match it. It wouldn't work today, you could never leave your Scooter anywhere without fear of it disappearing.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2013 at 11:05am
Originally posted by midas midas wrote:

Why didn't I see this before???. 

Christ it brings back some memories. In 1979 I was at school just up the road from the Caister Soul Weekender's at Scratby, we lived in Lowestoft.

After reading this whole thread I realise I missed out on something very special, being a Soul boy (smoothy as we called them at the time) must have been all about the music, being a mod was all about the image and scooters with some music too.

Great to read about it only sorry not to have been a part of it too.

We have to also thank Tony for the large part of its success too,if it wasnt for him building and supplying Frog with the sound system,most of this would not have happened...in the early 70's Frog's rig,although big,was largely just a big Matamp mobile disco,it wasn't until Frog bought a quantity of Tony's ASS Concert system that things started to take off....you would be staggered just how loud and clear this was back then.
Be seeing you.
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2013 at 8:32pm
Ian.

Several times you mention using two stacks of Frog's kit at Epping Forest Country Club. I am interested as to how much damage/racket/noise you could do with merely one pair of stacks back then?
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2013 at 9:00pm
We had him do a soul night at a club I used to do, he used two stacks of ASS on the stage and another two stacks consisting of some 2 x 15 scoops, 3 x 12 mid and horns on top the effect was devastating the whole building seemed to move it was a very scary enlightening night without doubt
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2013 at 12:05pm
Lee,to be honest,it didnt sound great,the dance floor at the Country club was tiny, about 12 foot x 20foot,so the system couldn't really "breathe" if that makes sense,it was bloody loud,but that was about all.

My memory of it was all the lighting and pinspots on the ceiling rattling along to the bass,which was actually quite iritating after a while.

Photo of the dance floor there so you can see how small the room was.

Be seeing you.
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2013 at 4:05pm
Ian, know just what you mean about a system needing room to breathe, that was a tiny dance floor, why did they think they needed a pair of ASS stacks to fill it? I never heard the JB monster roadshow either. Like you I cant figure out  why they used those 3 x 12 twin cone jobbies, did they manage a decent sound with their rig when out and about?
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2013 at 4:56pm
We had two stacks of JB's outside the Country club for a pool party one night Lee,sounded really nice,so nice in fact,the country club manager had complaints from people the next morning who lived 2 miles aways!

Be seeing you.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2013 at 6:43pm
lovely bit of stacking there IanLOL
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 1:32pm
Froggy and the larger-than-life Steve Walsh,Frog was a good 6 foot tall,so gives you some idea of the size of Mr.Walsh here!

Be seeing you.
Mhamplification View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 2:28pm
Did you ever see Steve Walsh live ?   I saw him at the Pink Toothbrush in Rayleigh Essex with the Band Change playing live  must have been 1984  Great night if I remember rightly     he did swear a lot on the mic 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 7:35pm
The Pink Toothbrush is still there, believe it or not. Strange place.
Steve has a look on his face that says, no way am I going to tell him to get his arm off of me.

Edited by TONY.A.S.S. - 16 October 2013 at 7:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 30>