Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Froggy and the Soulweekenders.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 30>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2014 at 12:33pm
Ha haa. Eddie!  .. Drum roll....
Billy Dawg.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2014 at 3:32pm
I aim to please!!!
Good link though Ian.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2014 at 8:26pm
A fantastic find this,first broadcast in 1980,its all about the funk and soul scene at the Royalty in Southgate,Froggy can be seen setting the system up about 10 mins in,and lots more clips all through it. Best viewed in full-screen. Introduced by a young Danny Baker.

Be seeing you.
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2014 at 9:03pm
Well done Mr Miller. One of your finest discoveries, put a big grin on this old crocs face this evening.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2014 at 9:17pm
Must admit, the crowd then seems a lot nicer than a few years prior to this - along with so many of the clubs in North London they were pretty much no go areas in the mid/late seventies. Usual stuff, if your face or voice didn't fit then you were picked on - never my scene anyway, I stuck to the West End when going out but everyone looks like they were having a great time and the DJs were really working (with) the crowd. Damn, I should have gone there!
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
simonh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2014 at 10:28pm
What a great find Ian, a good watch.  Nice how its the captured an era past...  Froggy's system sounded good I thought, you'll have to bring that out one day Smile.  Made me laugh when they showed a clip of Caister playing Willie Beaver Hale, it's still played every year.  Nice to know the history behind the "tribes" and the "family" and "bring the family back", although I get the impression that a certain Dj now hates playing that record.

Thanks for sharing....

Edited by simonh - 11 February 2014 at 10:36pm
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2014 at 8:51am
Some great tunes in that clip,Mass Production's Cosmic lust,Deodato - Whistle bump,etc.

Chris Hill gives an object lesson in how to engage with and entertain a crowd,this video should be compulsory viewing for some young modern day big ego Dj's.

Re. the system,if you look closely,you can see the 6 stacks,one either side of the stage,and a further 4 around the dancefloor. What the video doesn't give you is a sense of just how loud it was,my ears were still ringing the next day after a saturday night at the Royalty.
Be seeing you.
jamieb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2014 at 7:23pm
what a massive laughLOL
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2014 at 11:50am
I suppose what separated Froggy from Chris Hill and the rest of the bunch from that Era, was the fact that none of them had a speaker system like Steve's, and probably their best work seemed to come from playing on Steve's system.
When you take into account what he started with his mixing etc, and in spite of the belated coverage he gets on here, I still don't think a lot of people appreciate what he did for the movement and how important he was.
erikp74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erikp74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2014 at 12:59pm
Hey jblman what was your exact envolvement with froggy iv'e seen you in some of the pictures were you two friends or were you working for him at the time?
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2014 at 1:02pm
I believe Ian (jbl man) owns the original Froggy sound system, or at least some of it
erikp74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erikp74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2014 at 1:26pm
Ive seen that it's a thing of beauty he has shown 2 stacks but claimes there are six in total would love to see the complete setup in its current condition :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 30>