Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Froggy and the Soulweekenders.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 30>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2014 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by erikp74 erikp74 wrote:

Hey jblman what was your exact envolvement with froggy iv'e seen you in some of the pictures were you two friends or were you working for him at the time?

My freind Simon (Harris) was Froggy's music partner,they did a huge amount of mixes together,and naturally,when ever Frog  and Simon were playing live locally,i used to go along....im sure the reason my hearing isn't so good thesedays is down to him!
Be seeing you.
2x18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2x18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2014 at 1:54am
here is another clip for you to watch 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkQT8JVEPH0#t=160

chris hill looks a lot older :)
just a old dj
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2014 at 7:34pm
Slightly non speaker based I know but I always wondered where my copy of this went. In 1998 the mother of my children and I went our separate ways and she has just found this in her loft and returned it to me. Oh the memories.Smile 

Have also been going through the prized 1976/77/78/79 12 inch vinyl, there are lots of promos, imports and rare stuff there too and come to the conclusion that 95% of them are pretty awful and need to go. Obvious keepers are Undisputed Truth's You + Me, Deodato's Whistle Bump, Fatback's Spanish Hustle, Brick by Dazz, I Got It by New York Port Authority, Do What You Wanna Do by T Connection etc etc etc. Listening in 2014 an awful lot of it does seem just repetitive and low grade music and nearly all the "disco" stuff is appalling, yuck! Should we be debating the music of our youth in another thread? Could be fun stirring ourselves up over something else.   

Edited by oldskool - 22 September 2014 at 7:51pm
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies
simonh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2014 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by oldskool oldskool wrote:

Slightly non speaker based I know but I always wondered where my copy of this went. In 1998 the mother of my children and I went our separate ways and she has just found this in her loft and returned it to me. Oh the memories.Smile 

Silly question now Oldskool....  Is it a book of photo's or an album of tunes?

Edited by simonh - 22 September 2014 at 7:50pm
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2014 at 7:57pm

Ah yes, daft of me. It's a book of photos and commentary on the rise of the "Jazz Funk" music followers that became known as "The Family". The family followed the "Funk Mafia" DJs some of whom included Froggy, Sean French, Chris Brown, Robbie Vincent, Bob Jones, Chris Hill and many others. It details the start of the all-dayers and the first couple of Caister Weekenders.

Now I have had a good look through and the first photo I can find of Froggy using ASS Concert System boxes is August 1979 at The Brighton Beach Party held at the Top Rank Suite. The book covers an event before that, the Royalty All Dayer in May 79 and the photos show he was still using Orange branded cabs at that time.   

Edited by oldskool - 22 September 2014 at 8:12pm
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies
simonh View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2014 at 10:38pm
I bet its got some fantastic pictures in there.  No doubt Billy Paul's bring the family back will be played a number of times at Caister this coming weekend.
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2014 at 4:41am
Originally posted by oldskool oldskool wrote:

Ah yes, daft of me. It's a book of photos and commentary on the rise of the "Jazz Funk" music followers that became known as "The Family". The family followed the "Funk Mafia" DJs some of whom included Froggy, Sean French, Chris Brown, Robbie Vincent, Bob Jones, Chris Hill and many others. It details the start of the all-dayers and the first couple of Caister Weekenders.

Now I have had a good look through and the first photo I can find of Froggy using ASS Concert System boxes is August 1979 at The Brighton Beach Party held at the Top Rank Suite. The book covers an event before that, the Royalty All Dayer in May 79 and the photos show he was still using Orange branded cabs at that time.   
I was at that gig (Brighton). My brother did a stage dive from the balcony. Then other people copied. Can you check and see if a clan called WASTED were mentioned or any images of them. Was an a awesome event.

Edited by KidCreole - 23 September 2014 at 4:45am
Mykey Wattco
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2014 at 12:52pm
Some more photos have surfaced,i reckon this is around the mid to late 80's. Note the later banana console.   Sean French on the turntables.

And shock of shocks.....Peavey amps! Shocked

Edited by jbl_man - 15 November 2014 at 12:58pm
Be seeing you.
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2014 at 1:21pm
Shocked ha ha, I liked the old workhorses, CS400/800.
music is the message
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2014 at 1:43pm
Burn it... Sacrilege having Peasy amps next to proper gear. Shameful!
Billy Dawg.
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2014 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Some more photos have surfaced,i reckon this is around the mid to late 80's. Note the later banana console.   Sean French on the turntables.

And shock of shocks.....Peavey amps! Shocked

Blimey, Sean French! He was a nice guy, did a lot over west, Camberley etc. Had him guest a few times. Cool photos, bet Peavey were the most reliable back then?
It's everything, not everythink!
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2014 at 8:49am
Originally posted by 2x18 2x18 wrote:

here is another clip for you to watch 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkQT8JVEPH0#t=160

chris hill looks a lot older :)
Very interesting, thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 30>