Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Froggy and the Soulweekenders.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 30>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2008 at 5:49am
aahhheemmmmm!!!

Ian!!  we had a pillow case full of the best Jaimacan weed my man

and I do mean a pillow case

we bunged up all the doors and windows and you couldn't see your mates in the chalet

and the time when the swimming pool got broken into that was my brother, it ended up with everyone stark naked, was great

also I don't think I told you that it was my brother who came up with the Dance craze were you all sit on the floor and row as if you are in a boat

what happened was, Chris Hill and Robbie Vincent did a competetion to see what group could come up with the best dance

we won the competetion, next thing we are seeing the dance on top of the pops to the song "oops up side ya head"

It was weird also about five years ago Jonathon Ross on radio 2 talking about that dance and where the hell it came from, little did he know it came from Leytonstone the place where he grew upLOL 

I was mates with jonathon by the way, we used to do a long walk to school together, me him and his brother Adam

when I used to play for the school football team (right back ) Adam was in goal and Jonathon used to stand behind the goal and crack me and Adam up, we couldn't play half the time

Edited by mykey - 01 July 2008 at 5:51am
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2008 at 5:53am
Ian! it was like being in another world wasn't it?

everyone loved one another, I have never seen so many people get on like that before
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2008 at 12:30pm
do you think its much different to now??
if so.....why??
C
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2008 at 7:17pm
Ok,back to the photos....

Froggy at Disco Supplies`showroom in Chadwell Heath in 1980...you remember that place Mike?..it was the Mr.Byrites of Proaudio back then....
"Oi! where is me other SL1200?"

Edited by jbl_man - 31 March 2010 at 12:00pm
Be seeing you.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2008 at 12:57pm
yes I do remember that shop, over the years it grew in size

Ian! those white cabs in the background ended up everywhere, and are still going strongClap
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2008 at 4:56pm
Yep,the white ones were Disco supplies own brand,chipboard covered in white leatherete,but quite well built,they sounded good for their day,it was sort of a clone of a bigger Altec design,i took the back off one at Epping Forest country club once..they had Fane drivers in if i remember?
they were sold along side their Glitter systems and Black Knight brand.. popped up in loads of pubs and clubs back then....much better than the Roger Squires own brand stuff...i wonder who actually built them...dont think it was Tony?
Be seeing you.
ChrisWard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisWard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2008 at 5:21pm
HI Guys,

I'm new to this Forum but I'm loving the pic's takes me back...

I think I spotted Chris Brown in one of the pics, bottom right.

I thought Froggy had some SoundWave 2X15 Scoop bins with 3x12 mids at some point too..

Tony's 5 way system he produced really look very sexy indeed

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2008 at 9:52am
You are correct about the 2x15 scoop bins Chris,the Soundwave(of romford) cabinets were also built by Tony at ASS..it was based on the 4520 design but fitted with Gauss drivers.........Froggy used these to boost the low-end to compliment his existing ASS 215bass horns from around 1983 onwards.
Be seeing you.
ChrisWard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisWard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2008 at 10:31am
In the early 80's I had a pair of 2 x 15 Soundwave bins with JBL k140's they did sound good..
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2008 at 11:27am
Err..who was the guy there at Soundwave Chris?...Fred Friedline i think..bought my first big radial horns from him around 1979,and funnily enough also bought some K140`s from him too around 1981..anyone know what happened to Fred?
Be seeing you.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2009 at 10:17am
Rare photo of the later incarnation of Froggy's rig,this is with the later addition of the 4520 2x15 ASS scoops.
Big thanks to Jim for finding this photo.Clap

This is one half of the stereo rig.

Edited by jbl_man - 27 March 2010 at 8:57am
Be seeing you.
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2009 at 2:45am
the times obituary

A legendary name in British dance music, DJ Froggy’s pioneering use of mixing techniques transformed British club culture in the 1980s. His innovative approach helped to spawn the rave and acid house scenes and he was a seminal influence on a generation of younger DJs such as Pete Tong.

Steven Howlett was born in the East End of London in 1949. He left school at 15 to take an engineering apprenticeship and used his skills to build his own sound system. He became a professional disc jockey in 1971, adopting the name DJ Froggy, and, in addition to playing at clubs and discos, he was soon spinning discs as the warm-up act on tour with some of the biggest pop acts of the day, including Sweet, T. Rex and Slade.

In 1974 he teamed up with the BBC Radio 1 disc jockey Dave Lee Travis as a double act on the Radio One Road Show. They worked together until 1978 when Froggy moved on to become one of a group of DJs known as “the Soul Mafia”, playing soul, disco and funk.

A trip to New York in 1979, however, was radically to change his approach and ultimately to have a profound influence on the future course of British dance music. At a music convention organised by the trade magazine Billboard, he realised how technically far ahead American DJs were of their British counterparts and he determined to make a close study of their methods. His main tutor was the New York DJ Larry Levan, who took him to clubs such as Paradise Garage and Studio 54 clubs and showed him how to mix and crossfade the rhythms from two different records simultaneously.

At the time there was no equipment commercially available in Britain that had such a capability and so, on his return he adapted and modified his own equipment to become the first British DJ to use twin synchronised decks to mix the beats of two vinyl records over the top of each other, often overlayed with effects from a third turntable. The “Froggy Soundsystem” which he constructed was so huge that he purchased a lorry to transport it and took on two full-time employees to run and maintain the equipment.

His techniques were soon being widely copied and he became much in demand on Radio One, where he was given his own segment in Peter Powell’s show and was commissioned to produce radio edits of club hits such as The Real Thing’s You To Me Are Everything and Change’s Change of Heart. By the end of the 1980s as acid house and rave culture were reaching their height, he was presenting a regular Saturday night slot on Capital FM.

He continued to DJ until his death and had recently been working with his son and fellow DJ Mark Howlett. He is also survived by two daughters.

Steve Howlett (DJ Froggy), disc jockey, was born on November 8, 1949. He died on March 28, after a brain haemorrhage, aged 58

they missed and mixed up some stuff but hay they remembered him maybe there will be a soul momorial aniversary party

IM SO SECRETIVE BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 30>