Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Froggy and the Soulweekenders.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 30>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2010 at 6:57pm
I've just realized, I don't remember seeing any monitors in those days. I never supplied Steve with one. I just don't think it was an issue in those days.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2010 at 3:50pm
Froggy at Epping Forest country club...using JB's Monster roadshow console here.
Owen Jay on the left.

One of the JB's stacks at Epping Forest country club....quite why they added the silly whizzer cone 12"mid boxes above the ASS mids i dont know.

Edited by jbl_man - 14 August 2013 at 3:28pm
Be seeing you.
simonharris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2010 at 3:53pm
Nice photos - that's Colin Noon on Froggy's left ('the club's' resident DJ), not Owen Jay. The DJ booth was down at the far end until 1982
Jack the Lad, Have-a-go hero, Cheeky Monkey, National Treasure, Global symbol of Courage & Dignity.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2010 at 4:10pm
check the Disco Supplies sticker on the bottom right of the console
Jack the Lad, Have-a-go hero, Cheeky Monkey, National Treasure, Global symbol of Courage & Dignity.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2010 at 7:09pm
Notice same console but different grams? 
I remember when we did the install at Flicks (Dartford) most of the Dj's wanted the QRK Galaxy's instead of Technic's they were a wicked combination with the supernova, been trying to source a pair ever since!
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
GregM View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2010 at 9:40pm
Oh, who knows?:

In the colour piccy, whats is the thing which looks like a 5.5" car speaker in the panel directly behind the nearest turntable?

And in the B&W image, there's an interesting run of VU meters and push on/push off buttons in the top panel - what did the VU's monitor and/or the switches do?

I've never seen the consoles in profile - they were chunky bu**ers weren't they! 

G
Remember, if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question!
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2010 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by GregM GregM wrote:

Oh, who knows?:

In the colour piccy, whats is the thing which looks like a 5.5" car speaker in the panel directly behind the nearest turntable?

And in the B&W image, there's an interesting run of VU meters and push on/push off buttons in the top panel - what did the VU's monitor and/or the switches do?

I've never seen the consoles in profile - they were chunky bu**ers weren't they! 

G

Ain't got a clue! I do know that his console changed many times over the years & I wouldn't like to have carried any of them? lol
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 6:07pm
Colin, we built Steve's first big console. It was soon after we took delivery of our Supa Novas. In true ASS style, the console was made out of 18mm birch, and due to the mixer being larger than standard, it was over 6 feet wide. It became larger due to slope accommodating  the mixer and the meter bridge. Everything on the back of the mixer was duplicated on the back. The console was trimmed in black Formica. The flight cases like all our early ones was also made out of 18mm birch, and in those days everything was finished in Aluminum with full size fittings. Need less to say, you couldn't really carry it complete, so, on arriving at a gig, while still in the truck, they would take the console out of the case and take them in separately. I found this very funny.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2010 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

[QUOTE=jbl_man]....anyone else spot the old GPO telephone handset,that was used instead of headphones for PFL monitoring?

Well spotted! I've still got one in the garage somewhere... but with a pair of Sennheiser sounders in!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2010 at 9:56am
They were a bit hard on the ears I seem to remember!
it's all just cardboard and magnets really

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2011 at 2:36am
I used to hate seeing a DJ use a telephone handset for monitoring, pointless and cheapo. I used Beyer DT100's or Sony headphones.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2011 at 6:25pm
A few of Steve's remixes have started to surface on youtube,this is an excellent one.
Be seeing you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 30>