FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbosound; The relics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbosound; The relics
    Posted: 15 August 2017 at 4:22pm
Quote Yes it is an old version, apparently owned by one guy from the early 80s, then bought by someone who I have found has a 12 minute video procrastinating about how he will restore them (on youtube) and waffling on about the old days of real audio. He then has a second video when he inexplicably spends DAYS trying to hand sand one back after stripping it of all hardware and going on about having all the drivers "realigned" or some garbage. That exact stripped down cabinet (and the other original) are what I bought.
Haha, I've seen that video, thought he sounded a bit of a muppet when I saw it.

Quote Apparently after talking sh1t for hours he gave up
Amateur! You've got to talk shit for a lot longer than that before you get anywhere.
bobbysdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbysdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2017 at 10:08am
Wot a great thread this was/is.
Once a Turbosound lover, always a Turbosound lover.    Thumbs Up

tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2016 at 12:37pm
+1 on that, I hope this is just a pic DJ stefanos posted and not his own system
Also I hope this system was rented in by novices and not owned by spoiled idiots ! :-)

By the way I have more to post on here now:
Found the very first fane 15" with small magnet backplate & turbobadge, so that mean I have a collection of first 10", 15", 1" and the oldest tms-2s in the world.

Also I got a hold of 6 pcs tms-3s from pink floyd the wall soundsystem / BBM
I started splitting them in two, but my carpenter friend is a having sex tripper! -He didn't show up when we were supposed to finish it, that's how my life is, me alone in the workshop wondering why the others never showed up:-( -But I have cat and a lot of attractive old speakers :-)

Oh, also I got my TFM-2 dual concentric monitors up & running, I had to fit a different coaxial driver, aktually the b&c coax measured much better with the horn than without! -Even though it appears to be sitting too far back, now I got one from RED audio, that appears to fit better.
Bass is Fane colossus 15B

Edited by tv00 - 25 December 2016 at 12:42pm
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2016 at 12:10pm
That system is a bit like giving a monkey a machine gun---Great gear but they do not have a clue how to use it.
We used to have a 4 stack Hi-Light system that we used in theatres to give the wide coverage required in most venues--The THL2 top cabinets are very wide dispersion and the system shown in the pics is hilarious for obvious reasons!!!!
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2016 at 12:00am
OH NO, What an abuse of a pointsource system to place it on a line! 4DPA got it right :-)
You have comb filter chaos all over the place, that's for sure, but furthermore the subarray is sooo long it get's caridod unless sides are delayed.
This sounds awful, what an abuse of good speakers (THL is quite new turbo in my eyes:-)

Originally posted by djstefanos djstefanos wrote:

Edited by tv00 - 25 December 2016 at 12:01am
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 12:20pm
Not that flashlight of the 90s is any better with regards to weight :-(
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 12:20pm
Great idea, I plan to cut a few too keep us posted :-)
Box size is ridicules, I guess size was equal to quality in the 80s :-)
LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 12:16pm
Yeah I thought they were active but have read somewhere about passive versions? Only on the mids/hf obviously.

If they don't exist I'll just go active either way. Actually going to turn the top end into 211s(which definitely had a passive xover) and have 215s seperately as 134kg is just too much.

Edited by LunchieTey - 23 May 2016 at 12:21pm
Speaker addict
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 11:43am
google for turbosound tms-3 and look at the spec sheet.

They have no crossovers at all
They're 3-way active boxes.

I'll check if there's any protection circuits in mine...
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 11:15am
Yeah I emailed "turbosound" and just got the "contact your local service agent" weak customer service bullsh1t.

Yes it is an old version, apparently owned by one guy from the early 80s, then bought by someone who I have found has a 12 minute video procrastinating about how he will restore them (on youtube) and waffling on about the old days of real audio. He then has a second video when he inexplicably spends DAYS trying to hand sand one back after stripping it of all hardware and going on about having all the drivers "realigned" or some garbage. That exact stripped down cabinet (and the other original) are what I bought. Apparently after talking sh1t for hours he gave up.

The 2445s look rather old so I'd say they have been there a while (probably 20 years). I do have some semi decent RCF 1" kicking around (N450 I think?) But not sure they'll have the balls to keep up...Probably even do ok with some Paudio Bm750s.

An original xover design would be amazing if I can find it, even just for the lowpass section(if they were actually low passed) I can make up a new one for the high end from there with an RTA and maybe the Dayton software.

Edited by LunchieTey - 23 May 2016 at 11:18am
Speaker addict
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 9:43am
Whow, those are old fane drivers aren't they?

Crossover schematics used to be on the turboserver until it got all behringer.
Unfortunately I was not smart enough to download all:-(
In a week I'll pickup 6 pcs tms-3, then I can look in them.

One thing sure is strange: To my knowledge the V-2 was fitted in the later tms-3s where the earlier model had that awfull jbl weapon inside. But your model sounds like an earlier version with those drivers (later ones had PD ls-1507 & ls-1004) I have 4 pcs brand new ls-1507 and used 1004...

Perhaps they downgraded it to the old version to be similar to the others?
Also I believe that quite a few deaf american would prefer to have their ears ripped from the distortion of a jbl 2445 just because of the "jbl" mark and "made in usa" (which is probably mexico:-) Get rid of these ASAP.

You can buy 1" drivers joiners similar to the turbo, also you can get the beyma cp-350 driver used around (the "ti" model is a later version)
But I think you'll be better of with bms. Some use 4550, I prefer 4538, looking at the specs the 4550 appears to have more power, until you look at sensivity, then it becomes obvious that they should play equal as the extra power is lost in less sensivity.

I don't know how well the "V-2" works or how much it affects the sound, also I have no idea how well the high-horn is designed or how well the thing performs above 10khz, some measurements sure would be nice :-)
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 4:14am
Can anyone help with info on some tms3 cabs I have?

They have ls-1504 bass, 1001 mids (all 15s and 10s have the silver/blue labels) and a jbl 2445 top end BUT have "fitted with the v-2" on the input plate suggesting the 2445 is not original?

They also have a 500uf cap across the mids and two small blue poly caps on the hf with a small resistor. Is this just a protective device in case lf gets mixed up into mf/hf channels?

Was there a passive mf/hf version and does anyone have the xover schematic?

Lots of questions I know! :D
Speaker addict
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>