Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbosound; The relics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 4:43pm
I do recognise one HF horn there, seems a strange setup by todays way of doing things.
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 10:20pm
The HF horns are arranged in the centre of the stack to provide a single point source.
They also experimented with various combiners and manifolds for HF, including one with 4 x JBL 2420 on a small horn.

tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2015 at 11:48am
Any information on this Ancient "turboconcentric' tripple driver monitor?:
http://forum.speakerplans.com/turbosound-tfm2-monitor_topic93558.html

Never saw anything like it!
Can't find any info on it!
1987, not that ancient, but info is harder to come by than for the old festival system.
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2015 at 11:53am
They had a few bat-shit ideas, not least of which the TFM-3 which was a tri-amp beast, apparently even BRP wouldn't touch them (3-amp channels and an FDS360 per send) most them were stripped down and the woodwork skipped at Star Road.

What you have looks in a similar vain, but dual concentric 2-way which is better then 3-way...

You best hope of any info would probably be Funktion One as they were there at the time...
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2015 at 11:58am
Tms'3s comes with passive crossover too.
But Tri-amp is most often preferred, when running muilti-box systems xover is nothing.
I removed all my filters from my tms-2 & run fully active.
tms-3s are heavy, but nice I bet, hard to stack, not the angle between mids, they have to be vertically splayed as well. Who cut up cabs & what happened to then?
Should turn into tse-215 & 211
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2015 at 12:09am
Here is the original flyer, dated 1986, introducing the TFM-2:
http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/tfm2flyer.jpg

-------------

I can't remember much about the TFM-2 except that very few were sold, so it was a major failure as a product.

UK List Price in 1991 was GBP 1722, Export Price was GBP 861. Even allowing for a substantial discount off list,  I suspect they were too expensive for the market.
Also perhaps too radical a departure from the existing designs of the day. Monitor engineers are very conservative - you don't risk your job with a new product if your client is happy and confident with what they've used for the last few tours.

It was another 15 years before d&b came up with coaxial wedges that redefined stage monitor speaker quality, and of course advances in radio technology have ensured that in-ears have now replaced wedges for many applications.

And I'm sure somebody once told me a sad story of plastic horns melting in the heat after a day on a festival stage in the Southern European sunshine...

-------------

TFM-2 Information from Component Map (Issue 3, December 1994):
Up to S.N. 152259
Bass LS-1506 (RC-1506)
Mid LS-1509 (RC-1508) but I think RC-1508 is a misprint
HF CD-202/16 (RD-020)
Network PX-2M

S.N. 512263 onwards
Bass LS-1506 (RC-1506)
Mid LS-1509 (RC-1509)
HF CD-203 (RD-203)
Network PX-F2

(RC and RD are the recone and re-diaphragm kits)
-------------

From a Product Range Catalogue, undated but Edgetech period, so around 1990:

TFM Series:
The TFM series embodies the results of two years of extensive research This programme has led to the development of the TurboConcentric principle (patents pending).
Turbosound have created the new technique to provide the floor monitor user with a standard of performance which emulates that of the TurboMid device, yet in a shallower cabinet profile.
The TurboConcentric device also acts as a waveguide for the HF driver, mounted in the centre of the unit.
THe TFM series is unique in providing finely detailed full-range information at very high power levels from compact floor monitor enclosures.

TFM-2
The TFM-2 High Power Floor Monitor is a bi-amped 3-way enclosure. It contains a front mounted 15" midrange driver and a concentrically mounted 2" compression driver, using the TurboConcentric principle. A downward-facing 15" bass driver is loaded by a development of the TurboBass device and outputs through an aperure on the front lower face of the unit.

TFM-2 Specification
Biamp, 2-way, EP-6 connector
Weight 56kg (123.5 lbs)
LF 1 x 15", MF 1x 15", HF 1x 2"
Frequency response 60 - 18k Hz, +/-4dB
Dispersion 60 degrees conical @ 6dB down
Power handling total 550W RMS, 1100W programme
Sensitivity 104dB 1W 1m
Max SPL 123dB (135dB peak)
Crossover point 250 Hz
LF 8 ohms, MF/HF 8 ohms

A later (Winter 1992, AKG era) version of the catalogue added the TFM-250 and 350, but these didn't make use of the "TurboConcentric device" and were of conventional design. They were still listed in the
Winter 1994, (Harman era) catalogue but by then the TFM-2 had been dropped from the range.

Edited by madboffin - 25 October 2015 at 12:23am
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2015 at 12:20am
Originally posted by tv00 tv00 wrote:

Tms'3s comes with passive crossover too.
But Tri-amp is most often preferred, when running muilti-box systems xover is nothing.
I removed all my filters from my tms-2 & run fully active.
tms-3s are heavy, but nice I bet, hard to stack, not the angle between mids, they have to be vertically splayed as well. Who cut up cabs & what happened to then?
Should turn into tse-215 & 211

The TM3 was only ever Tri-amp, the small board on back panel was a HF protect network, any TMS-3 running 2 way must have hade a pair of PX4s nailed in as an after thought....
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2015 at 3:02pm
Any information on that 15" coaxial from the tfm-2?
I tried fitting a b&c like the d&b max monitor driver.
But the distance from the high horn to the cone seems to big, more than enough space for my fingers.

I wonder if the original driver had a horn in the middle fitting the outer horn?
Otherwise the cone must've been very flat, but often turbodrivers are curvilinear (not flat)

I wanted to do a measurement with / without the horn on the b&c yesterday, but didn't get around to it.

Any info?
L8 ECU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L8 ECU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 11:30am
Some questions.............re the video below (Sunsplash 1985 at Selhurst Park)............

I was there on the day (disco console hire/set-up for Cap Radio.  Rodigan was using turntables / console during next band set-ups.........

Are the monitors Turbo?  Can't find any images of them on google image search.

Drum fills - HUGE.......same question: Turbo?  

Was this gig done by Brit Row? 

Guessing by the size of rig (hidden by scrim) that Brit Row had enough Turbosound gear in 85 without having to sub-hire?   Got to be 40 cabs per side, so 60 to 80k ?

ANY other info would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVJee2cjbGU

Edited by L8 ECU - 10 November 2015 at 11:34am
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 1:43pm
Yeah, they're turbo, they're LOUD!
I made a thread on the box...

No original drivers, fitted fane studio 15b, even though it's not that powerfull watt-wise it plays loud.
Then I fit a b&c neo coax much like the one in the d&b, but I can't decide wether I like it with the horn or not, the directivity of the horn is very nice, I'd have to measure it, the horn is almost 2 cm from the cone, so the original driver must've had a very flat cone I assume, but where would i get that turbopd?
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2015 at 8:01pm
The drumfills look like TMS4, and the sidefills stacked pairs of TMS3.
L8 ECU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L8 ECU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2015 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

The drumfills look like TMS4, and the sidefills stacked pairs of TMS3.

Clap Thanks, that makes sense now.........both are superb cabs for those jobs, and really fast to position/connect up.

The wedges are difficult to find images or specs for. 

Could they be some "other brand" of wedge monitor, but painted blue (ne turbo purple) to match the Turbosound kit?

Edited by L8 ECU - 11 November 2015 at 6:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>