Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

QSC PLX amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: QSC PLX amps
    Posted: 08 June 2008 at 12:26am
I have 2 plx amps 1 is a 3402 and the other a 1602,
I run the 3402 on a pair of 1 x 12 jbl loaded 1 x 12" cabs (2206 & 2426 comp) into 8ohms @ 700watts full range
and the 1602 bridged mono into 4ohms @ 1600 watts on  pair of 1 x 18" ASS reflex cabs (2241hpl loaded) and even though I can run it up to clip with no problems (they do get a bit warm though) it doesn't seem that loud, has anyone else found these amps to be a bit down on there rated power?
My old EV p3000's although lower in power seemed to have much more grunt than the PLX amps and I never saw a clip light on either of the EV's!

is it the amps or am I just going deaf with old age?

Edited by colint - 08 June 2008 at 12:36am
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 3:55am
PLX struggle to do bass as do most budget/entry level class D designs
bmw28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmw28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 4:24am
i run a plx 1602 on tops ev sx300 which sounded clear & loud, but had a plx 3402 on subs .. 2 x w b lines which i felt sounded flat on the bass.  I  think it goes back on the issue of light weight vs heavy weight amps...  after swicth to a Crest CA 18 which took my bins to  a other Dimension (pd1860 loaded) 
andyamp View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 8:01am
colint
the plx amps are class H amplifiers.
on bench testing they are one of the few amplifiers that stand up to testing and pass.
on sound testing i found the same thing as you.
this is becouse there is a big differance between the size of the ferrite transformer needed to give Big bottom end and rms.
a wise man changes his mind a fool does not.
http://www.matrixamplification.com/
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 8:35am
Originally posted by andyamp andyamp wrote:

colint
the plx amps are class H amplifiers.
on bench testing they are one of the few amplifiers that stand up to testing and pass.
on sound testing i found the same thing as you.
this is becouse there is a big differance between the size of the ferrite transformer needed to give Big bottom end and rms.

Hi Andy I was quite happy with the sound quality, it was the total lack of power I was supprised with, when using the 3402 on bass @ 8ohms the amp was trully gutless and went up to clip real easy in a small room with about 100 punters in?
when I changed the amps around with 3402 on tops and bridged the 1602 tha system really came alive quality wise but still didnt sound like the 3200 watts the cabs were supposed to be getting, in fact I ran it up to just under clip for about 6 hours with no adverce effect to the speaker system all 4 cabs are rated at 600 watts each!

I think I need to suffer the weight and get the transformered amps back out!

Model Watts per channel

8Ω: 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.03% THD

4Ω: 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.05% THD

2Ω: 1 KHz, 1% THD

PLX 8Ω 4Ω 2Ω

1602 300 @ 8ohms 500 @ 4ohms  800 @ 2 ohms

3402 700 @8 ohms 1100 @ 4ohms 1700 @2 ohms

A little overrated methinks?

Edited by colint - 08 June 2008 at 8:50am
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
andyamp View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 10:24am
I know what you mean,i have tested a lot of amps as well as made lots.
testing shows that to fix this on an smps amplifier it needs to have a Big ferrite transformer.
i am testing a ukp amp at the moment with a big ferrite.
twice the size needed to do the rms output.
and this amp does bass.Star

a wise man changes his mind a fool does not.
http://www.matrixamplification.com/
dwsound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 1:41pm
hi

re the PLX amps, it does state in the manuals, that the amplifier will only do its rated output at 2 ohms for a "optimum" time then the power supply limits the output.
so your 1700w is more likely to be half that- i belive this is only at its 2 ohm rating- i certainly remember this was the case on the original PLX's

dan
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 1:53pm
Has anyone compared the PLX with the Powerlights?  Eg PLX 3602 vx PL340?  I'm assuming the Powerlights would be better, not being the 'cut down' version?

I'm wondering whether to get something like a PL340 for bass then use PLX's on mid-tops to keep the cost down.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by SteveAATW SteveAATW wrote:

PLX struggle to do bass as do most budget/entry level class D designs

It's class H and at the last price of over £900.00 for the 3402 hardly budget or entry level
SteveAATW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveAATW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 5:19pm
Sorry early morning dunce moment, its the touring Powerlight series that are D

By budget/entry level I meant in comparison to the other lightweight amps - ie they're about 1/3 of the price of the touring amps. PLX is to PL what Crowns XTi is to the I-Tech etc - the amp manufacturers are never going to make or allow the cheaper lightweights to outperform their bigger brothers, chances are they will engineer them not too.

Bass seems to be the test which defines how good an amp is and pound to a penny most of the budget lightweights, whilst competent at sub, don't exactly set the world alight with it.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by SteveAATW SteveAATW wrote:

Sorry early morning dunce moment, its the touring Powerlight series that are D

By budget/entry level I meant in comparison to the other lightweight amps - ie they're about 1/3 of the price of the touring amps. PLX is to PL what Crowns XTi is to the I-Tech etc - the amp manufacturers are never going to make or allow the cheaper lightweights to outperform their bigger brothers, chances are they will engineer them not too.

Bass seems to be the test which defines how good an amp is and pound to a penny most of the budget lightweights, whilst competent at sub, don't exactly set the world alight with it.

I think in general switchmode amps are ok for mid/hi's and fold back and that's about it
these are the second lightweight amps I have "invested" in the first being the carver pm1.5 and neither could cut it?
in fact the carvers turned out to be not much more than hi-fi amps in a rack format so it looks like I'm going to be dragging out the austin armstrong's I have in reserve until I can find a pair of EV P2000's they're Bloody heavy but at least I know they'll never let me down and do what i want!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 9:05pm
Lab Gruppen amps seem to do the business on sub, every time I've heard them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>