Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wut?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wut?
    Posted: 04 August 2008 at 6:33am
Earl Geddes on P Audio:

*snip*

This was tried actually, but the Paudio stuff was not nearly as good as the B&C. In fact the data sheets for Paudio were pure fiction - an "artists conception". That said, I could make them work and this idea is currently being discussed if AI can ever open its doors again.

*snip*

I know everyone at Paudio. I know the owner personally. Sure I could get anything that I want from them. There is no shortage of low cost driver manufacturers for that matter. Paudio basically has no R&D staff. They are a rock bottom priced manufacturer with no internal expertise at all. They basically make up their data sheets, so I wouldn't trust them at all.

*snip*

What I pay for B&C drivers and what you pay in Australia are completely different. From here, for me, the Paudio are only a little cheaper. If I went to Asia for drivers I'd go to Boke in Guangdong. But dealing in China is not something that I am up to and, as I said before, the Asian advantage is disappearing fast.

I'm going paranoid, first amps and now drivers that I have to be careful of with regard to spec sheets nowadays? Always know that measured specs can be a little bit off, reminded earlier of it by a friend (about 18sound), and now...Ouch.

Looks like multimeter time.
Away on extended leave.
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 9:12am
that's bullsh*t

where did you get that from?
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 10:48am
I thought so, I've never had problems with P Audio!

It's Dr. Geddes on diyaudio, that was a thread on his kits. He has a nice concept with his OS waveguides, but can really say some quite controversial stuff and be a 'my way or the highway' person. Nothing personal.

Edited by Deadbeat - 04 August 2008 at 10:49am
Away on extended leave.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 11:49am
I've got a lot of respect for his work and I really want to hear the OS waveguide as I think he's on to something there.

However, I do think it's a bit rich that he'll say that when he hasn't bothered to make a jig for his kits to get a router to go in a straight line, or the panels have up to 3mm variance. His response to the customer was basically, 'at this price, you get what you pay for' - although he did offer money back and re-cut the panel. Seeing as he's chastising a customer for questioning tolerances on a value product, maybe he shouldn't so damning in his judgement of P.audio, who also deliver at a price?
H... View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 12:41pm
The 'big red book' & websites can be a bit out of date for P-Audio but sending an email to check 100% isn't a problem for me,I've always found Khun Dom at P-Audio very helpful in providing upto date specs.

Unlike all of the chinese companies i have tried to get info from.

H
H... View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 12:47pm
The 'big red book' & websites can be a bit out of date for P-Audio but sending an email to check 100% isn't a problem for me,I've always found Khun Dom at P-Audio very helpful in providing upto date specs.

H
Peter Moller View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by H... H... wrote:

Khun Dom

H

Is it just me, or is that a really bad name when communicating with english speaking customers LOL

I think I understand why some asians decide to use a western name when dealing with europeans and americans..

/peter

real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
H... View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 10:19am
Khun in Thai is the same as Mr/Mrs/Miss in english.................. Dom should be said with the 'om' as a low falling tone. Dom is not a 'western' name Thai's have a long name which most non thai speaking people would find difficult to say but all Thais have a short name - Dom, Ton, Lek, Noi, Jak, Lee, Mam,Bin, Dao etc etc. The Chinise or Hong Kong people mostly take on a 'western' name.
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 11:27am
Originally posted by H... H... wrote:

snip

H

Haha, sometimes you just have to go up to their doorstep and demand the info, claiming your long car trip as the bargaining chip!
Away on extended leave.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 12:55pm
As some of you may know, I visited Paudio in Thailand recently

While I was looking through the very thickShocked catalogue, I noticed some remarkable spec's, when I questioned these parameters an engineer was called for, I asked him 5 different questions about five drivers

the five answers were......
its a printing error
its a printing error
its a printing error
its a printing error
its a printing error

Another factory I visited who shall remane shamless, was questioned about a remarkable flat line for a 10'' driver

when I said thats so good it looks as if someone did it with a pen!.........  IT WAS!!Thumbs%20Down

I prefer companies like Faital pro and Hemp Accoustic's, these guys only make a few drivers and do this very well

P Audio will be selling kitchen taps soon as well as the kitchen sink

Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 12:57pm
Faital Pro Thumbs%20Up
Not many heard of them, but they good.
Hemp Acoustics Thumbs%20Up though you really can't compare, they're not in this market are they?

You been to some of the other small hifi manufacturer's as well?

Mykey you take me back to rear loaded horns and MLTQWTTPAHGSYTFUFDUYwhatevers.
Away on extended leave.
 Post Reply Post Reply