Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Better x12 plans?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wafflesomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Better x12 plans?
    Posted: 07 August 2008 at 1:08am
So from looking at the x12 plans on the homepage, how is anyone supposed to build these? 

Anyone have better plans.  Possibly with some actual measurements.
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2008 at 7:50am
Rog very helpfully gives us guidelines, it's like the MT122 - you have to draw it out to figure out the cutsheet and everything. Google sketchup or an easy CAD like Turbo would work well here.

I would also suggest putting the woofers at the top and bottom and fitting the horn in between to get an MTM arrangement, the ports can be moved anywhere. Try to get the woofers as close together without making the front baffle structurally unsound.
Away on extended leave.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2008 at 11:27am
As above, plus you'll need your SOH CAH TOA trigonometry rules.

I based the 12+1 monitors I'm building on Rog's X12, worked out the internal volume, removed a 12" driver. Changed the trap angle simply cos my saw goes in per degree increments rather than having a 10.5. Changed to slot ports to make it easier and they add natural bracing etc. etc. They're a good starting point but you're free to experiment a bit to get exactly what you want.
Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2008 at 11:58am
its pretty straight forward. I built a pair a couple of years ago, just drew the cut list by hand on paper in a few minutes.

sorry, i dont have the list anymore.
Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2008 at 12:55pm
I don't think you need trig, he gives you one angle, the one on the other side is obviously the same so you have enough to work out the other angles just subtracting them from 360.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2008 at 1:41pm
Quote I don't think you need trig, he gives you one angle, the one on the other side is obviously the same so you have enough to work out the other angles just subtracting them from 360.

Apart from the fact you're using 2 triangles, is that not in fact trig?

In the top view, if you draw a line down from the 10.5deg angle you create a right angle at the baffle.  the angle to the right of this will be 79.5deg.

We know that the internal length of this line is 372 (438 - [18+18+30])

you can then plug these into something like this to get the rest of the dimensions/angles

My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
wafflesomd View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wafflesomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2008 at 5:01pm
I can't imagine building the mt122 off the plans on the site :/

The part that gets me is that it gives the total depth of the cabinet, but the pieces heading back, are at an angle.

Edited by wafflesomd - 07 August 2008 at 5:02pm
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 5:02am
That's where trig comes in my friend. or CAD, if you are confused.
Away on extended leave.
wafflesomd View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wafflesomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 5:54am
I'm just going to see if there are any other designs to accommodate my drivers.

Seriously, those plans suck compared to most.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 9:03am

Seriously, if you can't work out how to build them with the information provided then maybe you're better off with Lego or something.  Saying the plans suck because you can't be bothered to calculate or work out the dimensions is a bit strong to be honest.

I posted the numbers that you needed to plug into the calculator to give the internal length of those side pieces. Then just add the width of 2 pieces of ply (36mm) and how much it extends in front of baffle (30mm).  Or as someone else has said, mark it out on the piece of wood that you use for the base and measure that actual dimensions.

Your other option is to work out the total volume of the cab and just make it square without the angles, but with the same volume.  Then you know the exact sizes.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
breakdabeat pete View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breakdabeat pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 4:57pm
get a calculator, pen and pencil out my friend
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
Grinner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 2:11am
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

Seriously, if you can't work out how to build them with the information provided then maybe you're better off with Lego or something.  Saying the plans suck because you can't be bothered to calculate or work out the dimensions is a bit strong to be honest.

I posted the numbers that you needed to plug into the calculator to give the internal length of those side pieces. Then just add the width of 2 pieces of ply (36mm) and how much it extends in front of baffle (30mm).  Or as someone else has said, mark it out on the piece of wood that you use for the base and measure that actual dimensions.

Your other option is to work out the total volume of the cab and just make it square without the angles, but with the same volume.  Then you know the exact sizes.

have you got the lego plans if its easier LOL
a brick by brick no.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>