Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL JRX125s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JBL JRX125s
    Posted: 08 August 2008 at 12:45pm
Hey all...
Just thought id post up about the new JBLs ive just purchased.

got 4 x JRX125s, for a gig weekend just gone.....

Well i must say for a budget box i am VERY impressed....

They sat on top of Dan Compressions 4 x P-Audio 18s, powered with a Crest 9001.
(The JBLs were powered off 2 x Matrix amps, running 750 watt at 4ohm, into each cab)...
(they were run at full power, for 48 hours non stop, playing a mix of reggae, downbeat, and live stuff....and never showed signs of being 'tired'..) 
(We also had 2 RCF 4pro 800w 18" bins, with the 400watt 15s on top, as the front stacks...With the P-Audio/JBL as rear stacks...<i do realise the set up was heavilly weighted to the rear stacks, but the set up kinda suited it :)

They needed VERY little eq'ing, but as suspected, they needed the bass at 75hz cutting out on the UltraDrive, and a few Db knocked off at around 2-5khz (christ, the horns on JBL really are ''chop ya head off loud eh?''

But yea....
Not bad cabs.
Cant see myself using them permanently, but this gig payed for most of em, so no loss, and they'll do for a great portable pub mini-rig.....

Well recommended for the begginner, or those that get a lot of small gigs like myself...
cracking entry level cabinet, and Sound Tec are sh*tting em as theyve taken on Harmans stock, so you'd most likelly get a good deal :)

Anyway,
just though a few of ya may be curious....I'll try and dig some pics out soon :)
H... View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2008 at 2:13pm
Made in Taiwan or China for Harman?
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 3:00am
Yarp I have 2 JX 115s and you are right, they do the business for small gigs and housepartys. Using no subs I find that 9db of bass added till 200Hz with a 12db slope tends to make them sound ok for one room type gigs. (I usually do bass heavy dance music stuff.)

When used with subs I find that they need a bit of a low mid boost around 200hHz to sound good. For £250 a pair I have no complaints at all to be honest.
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 11:48am
i'll try that bass boost..
cheers.

£250 a pair??...where was that??
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 1:18pm
Just from ebay a few years ago, brand new.Bear in mind that my 115s are just a single 15"+ horn.

Edited by odc04r - 09 August 2008 at 1:19pm
DJ Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 7:10am
Hi Guys,

Just thought id add my 2 bob in here,.. Ive got a pair of JRX125's too and i use them in a small pub suspended from the ceiling with two Gsubs sitting on the floor underneath them.
Ive got the JRX's powered by a crown 802 (aproxx 800w a side 4Ohm) and a crown XLS5000 on the subs running with a DBX driverack processor.
JRX's play 90hz up and subs crossed 37Hz to 118hz.. i find that this gives a little overlap and fattens up the midbass which tends to sound a bit thin on the JRXs. Also have a parametric notch filter set a 6.7K and 4 K..as well as a mild H-shelving filter. to ease the pain..lol , those horns are lethal in the JRXs and sound really harsh if not EQ'd a bit (-3DB).
 Once set up and eqed as above i found the system to sound unbeleivably loud and clean, also easy to listen too. not bad bang for the buck.
It's the thought that counts
DJRava View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJRava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 9:57am
Thought I'd add my 2 cents...
Had a pair of 125's, and really liked them! always got good feedback when using them, run over a pair of dual 18" subs, powered by a Yamaha P7000.
Definitely agree with a bit of midbass boost, and definite high end cut is needed!
Just sold them on eBay as they've sat doing nothing in the lock-up since we bought our F1, but would definitely recommend them!
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 3:41pm
Glad you see the same shortcomings as I do, gives me faith I was processing them in a sensible way.
adamski1010 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamski1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 5:25pm
Hi
I have a couple of 125's and think they are ok for smaller pub gigs. After some EQing they can sound reasonable. I've heard about people replacing the stock JBL Compression driver with Selenium 210 screw on drivers with good results, it helps to eliminate that harsh high end of the stock drivers. Might give it a try and i'll post the results.
Cheers
Adamski
gingerbiscuit69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gingerbiscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2008 at 5:00pm
i think the comp is an OEM 'P.Audio PA D25'. looks the same to the ones ive replaced. Deffinately can be harsh, especially on live work, but used on dance music, i find it makes a really crisp clear sound.
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2008 at 9:00am
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Just from ebay a few years ago, brand new.Bear in mind that my 115s are just a single 15"+ horn.

aaaa.
Just spotted 115s, not 125s...haha!
(still okay price tho!)

Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Glad you see the same shortcomings as I do, gives me faith I was processing them in a sensible way.

agreed.

Originally posted by adamski1010 adamski1010 wrote:

Hi
I have a couple of 125's and think they are ok for smaller pub gigs. After some EQing they can sound reasonable. I've heard about people replacing the stock JBL Compression driver with Selenium 210 screw on drivers with good results, it helps to eliminate that harsh high end of the stock drivers. Might give it a try and i'll post the results.

Selenium??.....any links?? (that might be a better idea than the stock drivers, which are WELL harsh!)

Originally posted by gingerbiscuit69 gingerbiscuit69 wrote:

Deffinately can be harsh, especially on live work, but used on dance music, i find it makes a really crisp clear sound.

agreed again...but it does take some EQing.......

also, has anyone every put some bullet tweaters above these cabs, to take up from 15-16Khz upwards??  (or maybe from 10Khz upwards to take some of the strain off the comp driver??)
Any suggestions??

And also needing to by some new amps....any ideas?? 
bitcore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2008 at 4:48pm
I've done the selenium d210 replacement and a couple other mods to my JRX 115's
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-235 (US, but you can get specs/datasheet there, take a peek at all of the customer reviews, my post is in there too: "Bitcore from High Point, NC")
It's a huge difference, the stock comp driver is a piece of trash. Not only is the selenium much beefier, I believe it handles more power, and it has a brass protective mesh on the throat of the driver that A: protects it from particulates too big to fit through that, and B: looks a tad bit sexy because it looks gold-ish
It's also a great idea to get some butyl rubber sound damping material and liberally apply it to the back of the horns. (AKA: Dynamat) Those horns are made from regular old plastic, and are very lightweight. If you hold them from a corner and tap them with a knuckle (w/ driver attached or not) - hear that resonance? That's extra harmonics and noise you don't want the speaker to be making, and since it's a horn making it and not just a vibrating panel of a box, it's going to be loud. You want that sucker to be as 'dead' as possible. I used damplifier on mine, I've read comparison reviews from all over the place of different deadening brands and this one wound up to be the best bang for your buck. I don't know if they do any business overseas out of USA, but either way, this is the sort of stuff you want to wrap the horns in a couple layers of: http://www.secondskinaudio.com/vibration-mat/damplifier.php If anything, just adding weight to it will lower it's natural resonant frequencies away from the passband of the comp driver - You'll notice a difference if you A/B a modded horn and a honky, non-modded one.
If you want some added kick-ass to this admittidly budget cab, buy a pair of speakon sockets, gut the crossover out of the box, cut a hole in the terminal cup, and convert your cabs to bi-amp like I have - Or wire it up for 2 pair speaker cable. Active x-over is the sh*t.
For about 120$, I made these cabs sound at least a thousand dollars better in my opinion.

The 15" driver JBL puts in these is inexpensive, very sensitive, and a decent all-round driver. I really like it and lots of people love it's bass response. Everyone knows the compression drivers suck: way too much sibilance and ringing, and they only respond up to 16K. (this is even stated in the manual and the cab. frequency response, not a problem for DJ's who only play MP3 music, but anything beyond that it's lacking)

I bet the stock comp driver would be quite a bit more responsible for hearing loss than if you replaced it with the D210 and ran it even louder...

Forget bullet tweeters man, just replace the comp driver that is the source of the problem and be done with it! It really is a screw-on replacement (you need to cut the stock fastons off the wires in the cab, but that's it)

Edited by bitcore - 08 September 2008 at 6:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>