Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL JRX125s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2008 at 1:36pm
Ive got a feeling i'll be mailing you in a few weeks when im ready to start modding em...
Thanks for the info Bitcore :)
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2008 at 5:23pm
Very interesting info, cheers bitcore. Will bear all this in mind. They certainly don't respond higher than 16kHz as I found when I ran some test tones through them. Thought I was just going deaf.

I may do the active bi amp mod as well, costs next to nothing and I have the amps around to drive the system that way, just wondering if there is much point with the standard comp. driver in. Might fit a selection switch to the back plate to to allow swap over to passive operation too for smaller gigs.

Only question I have, is where can you get the Selenium D210Ti in the UK, seems to be a hard task.

Edited by odc04r - 09 September 2008 at 5:34pm
bitcore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2008 at 11:34pm
I thought about doing a mod to have a switch in there as well, but you need to be able to completely disconnect the passive crossover from the wires attached to the speaker. *completely*... You don't really want to just 'bypass it', and still have it hanging 'off the back end of the wires' since current will flow both ways through the crossover. It winds up being more of a pain in the ass than I was willing to deal with.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2008 at 12:10am
Hmm, well you wouldn't have to disconnet the ground connections of each driver, just the positive before and after the crossover for each driver. So that would be 4 spdt switches, all to be switched at once which is a 4pdt switch (I think).

I reckon this would do it, perhaps a slightly higher current rated switch with larger solder tabs would be better for actual use:
http://www.web-tronics.com/general-supplies-for-electronics-switches-miniature-toggle-switches-4pdt.html

Qustion is could I be bothered to wire it up inside the cab :D

Edited by odc04r - 10 September 2008 at 12:12am
bitcore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2008 at 12:57am
Yep, that's what I was thinking of doing, but that would be a pain and there is not much clearance between the crossover and the speakon jack, so I think you'd have to cut a hole in the MDF to put the switch in
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2008 at 1:01am
That would be too much effort I agree.

Edit: Don't suppose you fancy posting some of the selenium comps to the UK! I cannot find a single supplier over here.

Edited by odc04r - 10 September 2008 at 2:25am
bitcore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2008 at 3:03pm
I'm sure the selniums are not the only 1" compression driver that are a direct fit to the JBL horn :P
But possibly, let me know if you are *dead set* on having them :P

Edited by bitcore - 10 September 2008 at 3:03pm
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2008 at 4:53pm
Well the parts express price is so good, and if Strange Daze wants 4 as well maybe we could work something out! Plus if you post them using the standard US postal service there is a good chance that the package will not be inspected by customs.

Not that I would advocate tax evasion, nono. That's naughty.

Edit: I did check out a few other 1" comps and P-audio do a few that could be suitable. The kicker is that they are all 2-4x the price of the 210ti. Im a bit loath to spend 1/5-1/2 of the price of the original cabs on new comps. At that point you might as well start saving for new cabs and sell the old ones!

Edited by odc04r - 10 September 2008 at 4:58pm
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2008 at 9:34pm
why not try the celestion 1746 , its the screw fitting version of 1745 and a pretty decent performer for less than £40 each , you could fit any 1" comp with an adapter which are available for a couple of pounds,i used my old jbl tr125's with both the 1745's and a de12's and they sounded very good and im fairly sure the jrx's are just an updated version
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
dangerous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2008 at 12:20pm
I also have 2 JRX 125s, I intend to beef em up with some 18s at some point. I have them for home use (yes you heard right) and for occasional parties. I like the idea of replacing the compression drivers, but can it be done without damaging the boxes? I haven't really ever tried removing the grille or getting inside.

I reckon that for the price, they are wicked. I paid 650 AUD each for them, I guess about 2 years ago.
bitcore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitcore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2008 at 1:52pm
Yes you can get into the box without damaging the box - they are just screws holding the grill and the horn on.  Yes, they are wood screws, so you would like to keep the number of times you screw and unscrew them as low as possible, so it's best to do all of your mods at once, so you don't weaken the MDF wood where the screws bite into.

I'll export the seleniums if you guys really want them, get together and figure out how many everyone wants, and I'll figure out how much it costs to ship them over. PM me.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2008 at 2:03pm
I think it's just me that was keen, so I will have a look around at other 1" screw comps and see what I can find. If I can find nothing I like I will be in touch! Cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>