Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bose 302 drivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bose 302 drivers
    Posted: 13 August 2008 at 12:22pm
I'm trying to source replacement drivers for the out of production bose 302. It is a twin 12" bandpass design. The technical department at bose uk tell me they are no longer made and they can't help with T/S parameters or suggest a replacement.

from the FAQ regarding T/S parameters I think I'm looking for low fs (origional spec suggests cabinet useable freq. range is 20Hz - 180Hz) Qts over 0.28 but with as high a BL as possible?

I have the origional blown drivers so should I be trying to measure Sd, Mmd, xmax?

Any advice appreciated.

edit; comparing the 3 ferrite 12" drivers made by Precision Devices, my thoughts are that PD122 is the best option (fs-45 xmax-4 QTs 0.194 Mms-65 BL-22.1)

PD121 (fs-60 xmax-2 QTs 0.201 Mms-54 BL-23)

PD12sb30 (fs-50 xmax-7 QTs 0.297 Mms-67 BL-19)               - 2nd choice

Edited by imageoven - 13 August 2008 at 12:38pm
spudmiester View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spudmiester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 5:16pm
If I remember rightly, some people replaced them with JBL's as standard, even if the bose were ok.

This was 15 years ago though and recon RCF might be better these days. Dont know how it would work with the bose controller though !
S.A.L.S.A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.A.L.S.A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2008 at 4:03am
I hear that the Eminence Lab 12 inch speaker is usefull in these BOSE 302 cabinets, they're not expensive and easy to get.

Check on the web of Eminence.

Dave
Get to the Point with L'acoustics Dv-Dosc!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2008 at 11:02am
You are going to need to measure the cab, volume, ports etc and do some simulations with different drivers.  Bandpass cabs are really fussy on their drivers.
tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2008 at 2:49pm
ive replaced blown drivers in these with eminence years ago!
sounded better than the original drivers if i remember correctly
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2008 at 5:15pm
We replaced the drivers in some 302's with rcf L12-544's (not sure if there still avalable though) and they worked a treat a lot better than the bose drivers, on the downside you needed a fork truck to lift them!
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2008 at 2:25pm
Thanks everyone (although I have to say simply recomending manufacturers misses the point somewhat)

Further enquiries have revealed that Wembly still have some kits so can recone the blown ones.

Out of interest, what software is best (for a novice) to model bandpass cabs.

And for anyone else looking for alternate drivers for these, I know of a pair of 302's which have been fitted with PD912's and which have survived some serious abuse, I can't say how the sound compares to the origionals though.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2008 at 7:39pm
ive used ciare 12sw 2005 drivers in 302's, and it works a treat.
SimonVR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonVR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2008 at 1:52pm
I have used Eminence Delta 12 LFs in 302s for years. They compare favorably to the originals on efficiency and I drive them at just over 800w/cab quite happily. I feel they are slightly more 'punchy' but I don't think the low-end extension is quite as good. The differences are barely detectable though, even on an A/B comparison. Still 302s don't do really low-end anyway, you need subs for that. One warning though; do not use the 302 passive crosssover with these drivers, always bi-amp.
Shelfstacker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelfstacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 10:21pm

Masssive big dirty necro post here, but I have a question.  I've dug a pair of 302's out of the back of my lock up, and after general sanding down and painting, cosmetically they wear their 1993 vintage quite well.  However, thay need four new twelves in them, and it's not really worth spending decent money as I won't get a decent return.

So, what can we recommend these days?  Same as last years advice above, or do we have some new ideas?  I can get hold of Eminence Kappa Pro's at a good price new, would these work?
If you are at the circus and being attacked by clowns - go for the juggler
jonminns View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonminns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 11:33pm
I have a pair of 302s falling to bits, with 3 working drivers and 1 requiring recone

Anyone interested in getting them out of the way for me?

Jon
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2009 at 11:44pm
I replaced some drivers in 302 cabinets a while back for an install, rewired them for speakon connecters then settled on using PD12SB30's and was really pleased with the results... lots of usable bass and quite punchy, but sometimes sound a bit one note-ish.
Hope this helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>