FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

crown vs lab gruppen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
specialjustin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote specialjustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: crown vs lab gruppen
    Posted: 07 June 2011 at 3:12pm
So the Crown is or isn't being "smashed" ?
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 3:08pm
ive had a FFA6k up againts a Crown before ok overall output is only a bit more SPL wise but the FFA wont send you home with a head ach! Ive used a K8 on several Jobs also and its got more grunt than the FFA.

www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote specialjustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

FFA6k,10k PowersoftK8,k10,k20 Will smash the crown  

In what respect?

Don't say all because that isn't the case.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 3:02pm
FFA6k,10k PowersoftK8,k10,k20 Will smash the crown  

www.stage2sound.com
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 3:00pm
Please tell me this is a JOKE!

www.stage2sound.com
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote specialjustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by SBC SBC wrote:

Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by sirck50 sirck50 wrote:

So...who has experience with a lightweight amplifier that can compete, or better, surpass, the sheer muscle of a Crown MA5002VZ? And if so, can you state what it is, so others can give reviews too?

Powersoft K10

+1 

Please explain. As far as i can tell it's just alot louder but thinner, which fits my opinion of switching amps.
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 2:48pm

@ specialjustin, what I said is the switching amplifier Itech, have poor performance above 1Khz, especially above 10Khz, alot of limmiting and distortion, compairing with the older Macrotech series.

Also, Macrotech offer sustained output power, even in 2-4-8 ohms loaded, regarding Itech wich offer big BURST of mSeconds power, finally it can sustain 39Vrms on 4 ohms dummy load (around 400watts/4 ohms sustained, but big 2500watts peak burst power...)

What all of us must understand, is, on today market, they want quantity and profit, quality is on second  or even  third place, unfortunately...
Compare old school CROWN Macrotech 5000VZ output waveform at 20Khz, at any output power till clipping prag, with the CROWN Itech 5000HD, you'll see alot of distortion, wich the users with "cleanner ears", will tell, the sound is innacurate, no transparency, etc, they are right!!!

That's the difference between years, first they watched for quality and andurrance, today, I let you speak bout' it...

So for bass duty , if we cam use class D , class I or Class TD and classH 2-3-4 step. I personally recomend for mid hi range , purity of AB class.

Need more power, use bridged amp and that's it.

Edited by DjLeco - 07 June 2011 at 2:57pm
I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
SBC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

So...who has experience with a lightweight amplifier that can compete, or better, surpass, the sheer muscle of a Crown MA5002VZ? And if so, can you state what it is, so others can give reviews too?

Powersoft K10

+1 

F.T.S.S.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 1:52pm

Powersoft K10
sirck50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirck50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 12:43pm
Hello!!!
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote specialjustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 12:36pm
Nice one DjLeco, i didn't really understand alot of what you said, what with your broad Norfolk accent an all Tongue 

But what was going on in the last clip...what a racket that Itech makes, like an airplane taking off!!Wacko
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Peter Moller Peter Moller wrote:

OK.. I have worked quite a lot with both of these amps as well as quite a few other products in the same power range..

For general purpose use, the Lab wins - its light, compact and fairly powerful.

For bass heavy electronic music or reggae*, I'd definately go for the Ma5000.. It doesnt sound as nice as the Lab, its big and heavy, but its got a real powersupply** wich makes it able to deliver high power for extended periods..

* Tracks like these will make the FP6400 run out of steam pretty fast if you are running it at close to full power..

** A lot of the lightweight amps on the market today tends to have some issues with the size of their PSU - they simply cant deliver full power constantly..

The powersupply issue can be described using the plumbers example:

you need a 10 litre burst of water in 1 second to flush the toilet..
there are 2 ways to solve this:
A: Install a HUGE waterpipe ( the conventional, heavy amps like the 5000VZ )
B: Install a reservoir and connect it to the regular 1/2" pipe in the building.. Dump the contents of the reservoir when you need to flush.

Solution B is by far the most cost effective method, and it will work perfectly under normal conditions, but when you invite your friends over for pints, the toilet will see a larger demand for the reservoir - infact the toilet will be flushing so often that the reservoir wont have time to refill completely..

I had a cheapish lightweight amp on the bench for some time ago.. Specs claimed it to do 2K into a 4 ohm load.. It did, but only for less than 0.5 seconds wereafter it dec  ided to use the limiter to keep the amp in the PSU safe mode..

/peter

Very good explanation Peter!

If you want to see how performs Macrotech 5000VZ into dummy load, and severel frequency, look here, I have done alot of tests:

Macrotech (old school amp)

8 ohms testing:

2 ohms/30Hz testing

4 Ohm 100 1000 10000 20000 Hz

8 Ohm 100 1000 10000 20000 Hz

And New School Itech HD series, same power rated, but cannot sustain it, as you will see:

and poor acting at 20Khz and 10Khz above too

I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>