Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

crown vs lab gruppen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2008 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by hi grade hi grade wrote:

crown ma 5000 vs lab gruppen 6400 whos better ? 

Not your fault all this, but its the same answer, to a different question on this site over and over. Confused

Floor shaking or accurate, unrealistic or clean, heavy or light, choose you must.

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2008 at 2:58pm

thats one of the reasons i didnt much care for the vz myself, sounds like what happens when iration floor it all the time to me, operation was similar but not as bad perhaps the one we used had been particularly mal-treated.

You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2008 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by sKs01 sKs01 wrote:

thats one of the reasons i didnt much care for the vz myself, sounds like what happens when iration floor it all the time to me, operation was similar but not as bad perhaps the one we used had been particularly mal-treated.

Personally, the only lightweights I would consider are the best Powersoft,  QSC PL series, or maybe the New JTS lightweight UA6.

Have heard many, many dissappointing stories regarding the rest.
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2008 at 3:12pm
you have to consider the aplication though dub and its derivatives are uncomparable to most mainstream music in its requirements and as such general PA equipment has never suited it too well i wouldnt like to pass coment on the above amps as ive little expirience with lightweights to go on but as ive said it comes back in essance to the lack or apparent lack of sufficiently powerfull smps being used in theese designs, for myself the next things on my list for trying out are a p3000 chevin A6000 and the infinite 8, i think i will in all proberablity start trading amps around till i find one i realy like on sub if by the time ive tried all theese their might even be a lightweight that id want to try, untill then im not interested.

Edited by sKs01 - 25 August 2008 at 3:17pm
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2008 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by sKs01 sKs01 wrote:

but as ive said it comes back in essance to the lack or apparent lack of sufficiently powerfull smps being used in theese designs, for myself the next things on my list for trying out are a p3000 chevin A6000 and the infinite 8

Every I know who has tried A6000 has loved it, saying it is better than VZ5000, and almost 9001 class.

However, do know of people saying it gets really hot, maybe even overheats,  on 2ohm stereo sub duty. Would be interesting to hear why, and if it can be modded not to.

Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2008 at 3:46pm
I think we all know what Andy's views on the Xti is, it's the 10secondman!

Lev, you have excellent taste in lightweights. Have you tried the FFA? it looks like an interesting one.

Also, in a moment of paranoid premonition, I would like to ward transformer vultures to stay away, the requirements for SMPS trans and linear trans are very different.

sks01, I would say that the closest thing you'd get to knowing what watts you're getting while playing your music would be a sine wave torture test. Or an actual bassline (just the bline only, so in a test situation you can see it on the scope and what happens when you give it your best). With some processing, you can figure out what distortion and what type of distortion is present.  And 'general PA equipment' includes most of the old heavies, they were touring standards in their day.

On amp ratings - I thought that the main marketing point for most amplifiers was their rated power output?

And, as I have always maintained, if you don't like the numbers or question their accuracy, find a third party source (Bink comes to mind)! Or even do it yourself.

And I'll finally reveal my standing on both amps - I don't like either particularly, the PL 6.0....mmm....
Away on extended leave.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2008 at 4:08pm
I'll start a new A6000 thread, and stop hijacking this one. LOL
Peter Moller View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2008 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

However, do know of people saying it gets really hot, maybe even overheats,  on 2ohm stereo sub duty. Would be interesting to hear why, and if it can be modded not to.

It can - and its fairly easy.. replace the fans with something that moves more air and runs on 230VAC..  One of the issues is that the fan controller pretty much modulates the airflow to the music signal.. The more signal, the faster the fans run... If the fans run constantly instead they move more heat away.. One could include a secondary thermal protection system aswell - it'd be relatively simple to use a thermoswitch to remove power from the overheating channel..

/peter
real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2008 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Peter Moller Peter Moller wrote:

It can ...

Save all that good suff for the new thread mate.Wink
chilli View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2008 at 11:26am
hehe.. just picked up a macrotech 5000 for £499 from a bemused cash converters staff in an empty shop. looks like the credit crunch is biting. i'm interested to try it out on 6 wsx, not as much power (on paper) but wondering if i'll like the dirty bottom end. i'll report back after i've given it a spanking. (i'll leave the usual lab 6400 in the rack in case..)

bit of a steal i reckon.. 
Money can't buy you happiness, but it can allow you to be miserable in comfort.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2008 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by chilli chilli wrote:

hehe.. just picked up a macrotech 5000 for £499 from a bemused cash converters staff in an empty shop.
<SNIP>

Lucky, Lucky Bar steward..

If you get tired of it, I'have if off you for cost + 'lil bit'

Edited by levyte357 - 25 September 2008 at 1:32pm
tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2008 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by chilli chilli wrote:

hehe.. just picked up a macrotech 5000 for £499 from a bemused cash converters staff in an empty shop. looks like the credit crunch is biting. i'm interested to try it out on 6 wsx, not as much power (on paper) but wondering if i'll like the dirty bottom end. i'll report back after i've given it a spanking. (i'll leave the usual lab 6400 in the rack in case..)

wicked, i along with a few others would be very interested in the results Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>