Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

crown vs lab gruppen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2008 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by chilli chilli wrote:

hehe.. just picked up a macrotech 5000 for £499 from a bemused cash converters staff in an empty shop. looks like the credit crunch is biting. i'm interested to try it out on 6 wsx, not as much power (on paper) but wondering if i'll like the dirty bottom end. i'll report back after i've given it a spanking. (i'll leave the usual lab 6400 in the rack in case..)

bit of a steal i reckon.. 

one thing you might notice is that this amp doesnt run out of power like the Lab does.. It will do better on sustained bassnotes, but it does have some distortion issues that makes sound a bit different from the Lab..

I think you will be positively surprised..

Oh.. And yes - it is a great price..

/peter
real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2008 at 5:55pm
we used to use a a6000 to run 2 scoops a side (rx18 b&c neo loaded),the sound was very accurate and well damped but just didnt have that edge once turned up to play really  heavy,i would say brill to use for your upper bass cabs!!!
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2008 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by paulus paulus wrote:

we used to use a a6000 to run 2 scoops a side (rx18 b&c neo loaded),the sound was very accurate and well damped but just didnt have that edge once turned up to play really  heavy,i would say brill to use for your upper bass cabs!!!

I find that Mr. Clean amps like to have 'a little something' in the signal chain to give it the edge if you like that sort of thing, but you can stick it back - Aphex Aural Exciters and SPL Vitalizers work wonders for this (there are also other digital alternatives etc).

Away on extended leave.
chilli View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2008 at 1:01pm
well.. the proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can allow you to be miserable in comfort.
chilli View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 10:50am
well, the weekend is almost upon us, i'm going to take the crown out alongside the lab gruppens and a/b the bass end and see whats what. if anyone is about and interested in hearing the results, then pm me and i'll let you know where its at.... going to be powering 6 x wsx (3 a side at 2.66)
Marvin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 12:17pm
pls clear ur inbox Chilli just tried to pm u
hi grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hi grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 2:38pm
empty
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 3:12pm
chilli: You certainly did get a bargain there - well done!

Ok, so lots of people say the MA-5000 has distortion issues. Has anybody done any scientific measurements? I've got a Leader 1701 Distortion Meter on my bench which will measure down to 0.0001% and up to 10%. However, I can only do this at 1kHz, as mine doesn't have the 100Hz or 10kHz options fitted.
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 3:28pm
I did some THD tests among others a while back.

I'm zipping my mouth shut, but it was between Crest Pro and Macrotech. I can say that Crest won. I think you'll find that in most cases, there's a leap between low and high distortion. It's a question of who wins the waiting race.

Here's a link to a great texts on distortion:
http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/ampins/dipa/dipa.htm
Away on extended leave.
chilli View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 7:08pm
whoops..cleared.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Deadbeat Deadbeat wrote:

I did some THD tests among others a while back.

I'm zipping my mouth shut, but it was between Crest Pro and Macrotech. I can say that Crest won. I think you'll find that in most cases, there's a leap between low and high distortion. It's a question of who wins the waiting race.

When you're talking about amps like VZ5 and 9001, its easy to excuse a little of the distortion, when you consider the 2ohm reliability that you can almost take for granted.

2 ohm reliability is so scarce these days. Think I would only consider Crest, Crown, QSC and JTS for that. Confused
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 7:35pm
I used to have an amp that's not in those lists that liked the 1 ohm operation 24/7...and it wasn't a powersoft or a lab gruppen Wink

I talked about THD there because Wrighty posted about it - of course one has to take in all the other factors.
Away on extended leave.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>