Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chevin A6000 @ 2ohm sub - VZ5 killer or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chevin A6000 @ 2ohm sub - VZ5 killer or not?
    Posted: 25 August 2008 at 4:34pm

http://speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7567&KW=a6000+heat&PN=2

Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

i Have a test report on the chevin amplifiers carried out by Ken Dibble.he states,and i quote"the Chevin is not a switchmode amp,in the accepted sense.it capitalises on the law of physics which says that transformer size is inversly proportional to frequency.thus a power supply working at 100khz will be orders of magitude smaller that one working at 50-60hz.......first the AC current is rectified,ramped up and smothed,and fed at 100khz at 340v to a special high frequency transformer using a Phillips ferite core,it is then converted using high speed rectifiers and caps to provide 85v+ - to feed the amplifier.
 He goes on to say that its not happy in continious high power low frequency operation,and "the amplifier was getting very warm by the time we worked up to full power bandwidth test,and shut down just before a full test could be taken.following a cooling down period,it fired up ok,but shut down again immediatly after the full power test,with fans running at full speed and making a lot of noise. "clearly it is not happy at continious sine wave operation at full power,but the protection circuits do provide the level of protection claimed."
 Is this any help? maybe its an excellent amp for mid-hi,but maybe not so ideal for prolong heavy bass?

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Chris I Rockas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris I Rockas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2008 at 5:16pm
Well, I have owned two A5000 amps since 1998. They are identical in appearance except the meters go up to 70V instead of the 84V that the A6000 has. I have only ever used them for sub bass and on 2 ohm loads and they have been driven up to full output on all occasions. I have used them in static systems and mobile ones at the Notting hill carnival for a number of years with no issues.

I did break one twice, both times in humid environments, blowing only one Mosfet on both occasions. The first time I sent it back to Chevin, the second time I replaced a Mosfet myself.

I'm still very pleased with them.
Think you can, you will. Think you can't, you won't.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris I Rockas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2008 at 5:33pm
Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to to test them next to the Abashantis and Iration Steppers and such, but I am confident they would put up a good show.

Dansound used them a few times in the UK Dub cup competitions around '99 - 2000 and they certainly did deliver what was asked of them.

Oh, and they performed very favourably in a Bass shoot-out that he organised, with 4 ASS S118 scoops against 4 Looneys driven by an Infinite 8 mk1

If I ever get the opportunity to play alongside any of today's heavy weight systems they will be what I'll be using.

Unfortunately, I don't get to play out as much as I would like. Maybe sometime soon
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2008 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Chris I Rockas Chris I Rockas wrote:

I did break one twice, both times in humid environments, blowing only one Mosfet on both occasions. The first time I sent it back to Chevin, the second time I replaced a Mosfet myself.

I'm still very pleased with them.

Cheers for that mate.

Do you think upgraded fans would have made a difference?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris I Rockas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2008 at 5:53pm
They do get quite warm, so its possible that better fans would help.
The fan speed seems to be controlled by the amount of drive they get. In my opinion they would be better if they stayed at fullspeed continuously.

That said, two failures in the 10 years I've owned them doesn't  harm my  confidence in them. Just keep them out of damp  environments is what I would recommend.
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2008 at 5:56pm
or doing the iration steppas trick of a 26" fan behind the amp rack
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2008 at 6:08pm
I have a Chevin A6000, it will do sub at 2ohm & it does get pretty warm. To get the full 3k per channel requires a decent power connection. These amps are very power hungry.

Its a fantastic amp IMO, downside is the power consumption & the 4U height. Advantages are the sound quality, the power, the 23kg weight & the fact that its UK built.

levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2008 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Static Age Static Age wrote:

downside is the power consumption & the 4U height. Advantages are the sound quality, the power, the 23kg weight & the fact that its UK built.

Matey, the amp has 2x thick power leads, and only weighs 23kg...

How much more, do you want life made easy than that!!!?

Pity they are about a grand, otherwise I would have bought one by now and upgraded the fan "gear".
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2008 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Peter Moller Peter Moller wrote:

Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

However, do know of people saying it gets really hot, maybe even overheats,  on 2ohm stereo sub duty. Would be interesting to hear why, and if it can be modded not to.

It can - and its fairly easy.. replace the fans with something that moves more air and runs on 230VAC..  One of the issues is that the fan controller pretty much modulates the airflow to the music signal.. The more signal, the faster the fans run... If the fans run constantly instead they move more heat away.. One could include a secondary thermal protection system aswell - it'd be relatively simple to use a thermoswitch to remove power from the overheating channel..

Edited by levyte357 - 26 August 2008 at 12:02am
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2008 at 12:07am

i couldn't agree more.

i was going to ask what the usual going rate s/h is, £1000 you say, id best get my saving on. LOL
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2008 at 8:36am

Originally posted by Static Age Static Age wrote:

downside is the power consumption & the 4U height. Advantages are the sound quality, the power, the 23kg weight & the fact that its UK built.

Pity they are about a grand, otherwise I would have bought one by now and upgraded the fan "gear".

dont get me wrong Lev, I'm not complaining, I love the A6000. I was just pointing out a couple of things that might be an issue for some.

the going rate is about £1000, the last one i saw on ebay went for £1150 IIRC.

I payed £870 for mine but i guess i got lucky.

Edited by Static Age - 27 August 2008 at 8:54am
RENSAAB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RENSAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2008 at 7:05pm
Looks like a robust amp. Shame about the heat issue. If the heatsinks are undersized as i suspect, variable fans make no sense.

Like Chris-I said maybe hard wiring the fans would help.

What's the o/p class?

Ren.
"The secret of the Scoop, what a wonderful piece of Science" - Tony ASS.

"when the amplifier and voice coil are in complete synchronicity there is magic" - A Well Respected Amp Guru
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>