Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chevin A6000 @ 2ohm sub - VZ5 killer or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RENSAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2008 at 10:24pm
"...The Mosfets are the Exicon double die T03 cans, eighteen complementary pairs in each channel.

The amp is literally dual mono, 2 units held together by the front and side panels. Each unit is in bridge mode. I suppose this is so that the devices can be relatively low voltage, 160V for the A5000 and 200V for the A6000..."

The amp just looks too small to accomodate enough heatsinks for 3000w@ 2ohm bridged/channel for sub duty. The o/p devices must be working close to their electrical limit!

No suprise it overheated while bench testing!Nuke
"The secret of the Scoop, what a wonderful piece of Science" - Tony ASS.

"when the amplifier and voice coil are in complete synchronicity there is magic" - A Well Respected Amp Guru
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2008 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by RENSAAB RENSAAB wrote:

"...The Mosfets are the Exicon double die T03 cans, eighteen complementary pairs in each channel."

<snip>

The o/p devices must be working close to their electrical limit!

No suprise it overheated while bench testing!Nuke

Ren, would the over heating be due to under specc'd o/p channels, or heatsinks/fans/air circulation?
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Chris I Rockas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris I Rockas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2008 at 11:08pm
"No suprise it overheated while bench testing!Nuke"

Good point. There is quite a lot of heatsink in them, though, more so because there is extra space due to the compactness of the PSU.
Think you can, you will. Think you can't, you won't.
andyamp View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2008 at 11:10pm
some one post a picture of the inside of the chevin.
please
i bridged 2 ukp2100's against the vz5000 (opps vz 3850 for 1 second) then tripped outClownamp
similar to the chevin amp  LOLLOLLOL
so i vote for the chevin same fets as in the ukp2100
a wise man changes his mind a fool does not.
http://www.matrixamplification.com/
andyamp View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2008 at 11:32pm
ken dibble "twoddle" old ken should show us a pa amp that can run continuouslyBig%20smile
i bench tested the vz5000 and i had a heart attack when it went off at about 1 second,Geek
thought i Censoredit up and i unpacked it from new.
but it reset its self.Evil%20Smile
bet the chevin does more than 1 second.Thumbs%20Up
the chevin amps are class AB with a switching power supply, so what Mr dibble is goining on aboutLamp
smps allSmile
More like D D dribleCool
RENSAAB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RENSAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2008 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Ren, would the over heating be due to under specc'd o/p channels, or heatsinks/fans/air circulation?

I could be wrong but i don't believe there's enough o/p devices/heatsink surface area to dissipate that kind of power long term. Let's not forget when you bridge an amp the power dissipation quadruples. This amp is specced to drive 2ohms/channel which if my calculations are correct means a combined peak output current of approx 150AOuch...massive voltage drops...rapid heat build up!

Lots of o/p trannies to spread the load and a massive heatsink to get rid of the heat or....NukeNukeOuch

"when the amplifier and voice coil are in complete synchronicity there is magic" - A Well Respected Amp Guru
andyamp View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote andyamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2008 at 11:53pm
if it has +- 85v rails it can swing 160 volts thats not massively big 80 amps the twin die fetsClap are 16amps each 8 pairs per channel 128 amps less RDS on and wiring and I satThumbs%20Up
so if it has 8 pairs off fets per channel then it is well inApprove
i think the problem is finding cabs that can take that powerLOL
RENSAAB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RENSAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2008 at 8:48am
Levy, it's probably best to just listen to the amp and judge for yourself.

I've voiced my concerns regarding the heat issue based on my experience with amps. I couldn't relax around this one at 2ohm bridged per side for prolonged periods.

It may be interesting to compare it with a another amp capable of 20hm bridged!

tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2008 at 9:01am
i need an amp that'll play 4ohms a side comfortably, so im guessing one of these will do the business playing heavy sub?

shouldnt have any over heating problems at 4ohms should it?
Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2008 at 1:16pm
from my experience the A6000 will do sub at 4ohm per channel for as you would ever need it to. Its what i bought mine specifically to do.

Edited by Static Age - 28 August 2008 at 1:17pm
dubclot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubclot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2013 at 4:58pm
These specs seem off.  The 2ohm load looks rediculous

Edited by dubclot - 21 February 2013 at 5:01pm
andyamp View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2013 at 5:55pm
its a bridged amp,quite possable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>