Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TH-Mini - tapped horn - by Danley Sound Labs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wafflesomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 5:48am
Looks amazing.

If these are quality and worth the money, I just might build some.
Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 8:09am
Originally posted by TDA-Audio TDA-Audio wrote:

Quote What is the 15" driver used in the staiper design Ibex?

I am a 15 " version did not use...

Quote I don't realy know what driver staiper is using in this design, but i'm sure that the B&C 15TBX100, which tom danley uses in his TH-115, will work quiet well in this cab...

TDA is right, the original Staiper Design is loaded with a 18" driver! Embarrassed
I'will go into the matter, maybe it's sufficient to resize the cab a little bit as TDA has done with his 12" version... Wink

12nw100 - similar 12tbx100

Staiper Design by TDA - B&amp;amp;C 12TBX100 vs. B&amp;amp;C 12NW100 - SPL
black = B&C 12TBX100
grey = B&C 12NW100

Edited by Ibex - 24 June 2009 at 8:10am
Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Ibex Ibex wrote:

Quote What is the 15" driver used in the staiper design Ibex?

I am a 15 " version did not use...

Quote I don't realy know what driver staiper is using in this design, but i'm sure that the B&C 15TBX100, which tom danley uses in his TH-115, will work quiet well in this cab...

TDA is right, the original Staiper Design is loaded with a 18" driver! Embarrassed
I'will go into the matter, maybe it's sufficient to resize the cab a little bit as TDA has done with his 12" version... Wink

I think it's not nessesary to resize... Geek

Staiper Design - B&amp;C 15TBX100 vs. B&amp;C 18TBX100 - SPL
black = B&C 15TBX100
grey = B&C 18TBX100
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 4:48pm
Bigger speaker don't mean better, if you remember how the tapped horn works from the whitepapers (and look at TD's designs in speaker size as compared to volume etc).

Remember, if you do a quick search, it has been found on this and other forums that tapped horns are less efficient than they sim.
Away on extended leave.
Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Deadbeat Deadbeat wrote:

Remember, if you do a quick search, it has been found on this and other forums that tapped horns are less efficient than they sim.

Yes, I already read about something like that, but if we can trust the measurements of TDA, then the simulation has less sensitivity as measured... Confused
greez
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 2:34am

Some people at DIY audio have found their TH projects to measure more efficient than the simulations.

Some found less, but it is questionable as to whether they built it close to the design, and whether the construction was sound (one guy just screwed it together with no glue!).

The TH requires different drivers than what most people here are used to buying. A driver suited for a FLH will not do well in a TH design.
djk
wafflesomd View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wafflesomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2009 at 7:02am
I slightly more comprehensive plan to the 12" would be wonderful.

Unless I'm dumb and can't seem to figure out what you mean by simply descreasing the cabinet height.  What about the internals?
Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2009 at 10:41am
Originally posted by wafflesomd wafflesomd wrote:

I slightly more comprehensive plan to the 12" would be wonderful.

Unless I'm dumb and can't seem to figure out what you mean by simply descreasing the cabinet height.  What about the internals?

I know, the original staiper plan is not the most comprehensive.
You could import the picture with AutoCAD and measure each panel out.
Maybe I make a better plan with all the dimensions needed.
Outer dimensions of one 12" cab would be 800x600x380mm (18" version: 800x600x626mm)
greez
Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2009 at 11:15am
Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

Some people at DIY audio have found their TH projects to measure more efficient than the simulations.

Some found less, but it is questionable as to whether they built it close to the design, and whether the construction was sound (one guy just screwed it together with no glue!).

The TH requires different drivers than what most people here are used to buying. A driver suited for a FLH will not do well in a TH design.

Hi _djk_,
what parameters would a th suited driver have? You made a version of a modified folded version of the stepped horn with the 12.00SW. Isn't the ciare the wrong driver for such a th construction, because of his peaky HR response? I made the experience that drivers with an heavy wighted cone have such mint response peaks.
All I know is, that fs of an th suited driver should be optimum 1.414 times higher than the cut-off frequency of the th design. Is there a optimum EBP for th drivers given?
Are simulations of a th design in combination with a non suited driver less consistent with the real measurements?
greez
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2009 at 9:50pm
"what parameters would a th suited driver have?"

They seem to work better with higher Fs and mid-value Qts drivers. It seems as if the lower the Qts the closer the driver needs to be near the ends of the TH. I look for suitable T/S parameters and then plug the numbers into an AkAbak design and then juggle an existing design and see what happens.

"You made a version of a modified folded version of the stepped horn with the 12.00SW. Isn't the ciare the wrong driver for such a th construction, because of his peaky HR response?"

The design I did for the Ciare was tough to make reasonably flat, it's better suited to a bigger TH going much deeper than most people would need.

"All I know is, that fs of an th suited driver should be optimum 1.414 times higher than the cut-off frequency of the th design. Is there a optimum EBP for th drivers given?"

The TH isn't really a horn in its normal operating passband. The EBP of the driver is only of interest to make sure the mass corner (2x the EBP) is above the desired HF cut-off point.
"Are simulations of a th design in combination with a non suited driver less consistent with the real measurements?"

Don't know, suspect the sims are reasonaly correct (as long as your build is correct).
djk
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2009 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Ibex Ibex wrote:

Originally posted by rich_gale rich_gale wrote:

hi TDA.

please can you post up the plan for your 12" version?  id like to build one of these:)

Here is the plan of the original Staiper Design (better known as TH Mini by Danley Sound Labs)
The only thing you have to do, is to reduce the cab high to 38/35cm (outer/inner dimension) and plug in the 12" instead the 15"... Wink

Original Staiper Design

Maybe my tapped horn alternatives to the TH Mini are also interesting for you...? Wink
http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/peshkov-sub--scoop--tapped--arls_topic27673.html

greez

I have been away for a few weeks so pardon me but, where is the original post where Stipe posted this plan?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2009 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

I have been away for a few weeks so pardon me but, where is the original post where Stipe posted this plan?

I have no idea, I'm also interested in the original post.
I have the plan from the following treads:
http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/staiper-design-for-learning-hornresp_topic24297.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=139136

greez

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>