FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plywood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plywood
    Posted: 03 October 2008 at 6:56am

Originally posted by smithers smithers wrote:

a few guys i know made a load of HD15's with "spruce" ply from B&Q, at first i was very sceptical, but we took them out to a gig and they still sounded pretty damn good, as long as they are sold and sealed i dont think anyone would notice how many layers your ply has......maybe mykey.

like I said, its the weight, heavier/dense the wood the better

marshmallows! mmmmm! 

Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2008 at 11:53pm
Whatever plywood you use, you have to remember that although it is a manufactured product, it is made from layers of natural wood. Even if you buy similar quality boards there will be some variation between them.
Voids are caused because there are knots in natural wood and some of these fall out of the laminates before it is glued together. For this reason it is possible to find voids in any plywood. With an increased number of laminates for a given thickness board any single void will obviously be effectively smaller.

I get the impression that a lot of forum members use ply from the big DIY chains, so the original poster could always compare what he has bought to that which others are using.

Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2008 at 7:40pm
Must be a sound that only bothers certain people. bzzzzz

YMMV

Pass the chocolate dip.
Away on extended leave.
H... View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2008 at 7:37pm

Pass the mash mellows Thumbs%20Up
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2008 at 6:43pm
Should be fine, ive got 12 HDs, some void free birch, some MDF, and some cheep ply, i cant tell the difference by liserning to them.  If your really botherd you can make the brace longer towards the fount.   As long as its wbp (waterproof) and not the stuff thats really cheep that d lamanates when it gets a bit damp i think you will be fine.

James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
smithers View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2008 at 5:25pm
a few guys i know made a load of HD15's with "spruce" ply from B&Q, at first i was very sceptical, but we took them out to a gig and they still sounded pretty damn good, as long as they are sold and sealed i dont think anyone would notice how many layers your ply has......maybe mykey.

super-hero View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote super-hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2008 at 4:30pm

If these are your first build, then cheap ply will be ok. Any mistakes you make will only be cheap ones. Then you can always sell them on ebay, and remake them with void free ply.

I'm not an animal, I'm a human being.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2008 at 1:41pm
3 things you have to think about

1. its a bass cab

2. is the voids 'buzzing' when you have some kick arse bass going through it

3. is the weight of the cab, you don't want it going walk about because its too light

I bet its 7 layer ply? too light
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2008 at 1:21pm
difficult to say - if you are going to build a cab with sh*te wood the HD is probabily going to be more rigid due to it's small size - all depends on whether you can sleep at night really... bringing a sub standard cab into the world - i don't know...Ouch

Edited by tomschute - 02 October 2008 at 1:22pm
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
H... View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2008 at 5:31am
Have a bonfire, maybe get some marshmellows - Start again
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2008 at 10:56pm
the hd15's dont have any big panels that will vibrate too much, and the cabs are not likely to take corner knocks as frequently as a 1850 horn.  youll probably be ok, though the resilience and aesthetic wont be as good as if you spent £40 per sheet.   
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2008 at 10:29pm
Haha! I must have come across as a strong opinion style person. I'm not too fussed about whatever the wood is physically myself, as long as it is void free. It's subjective for me. But if your ply is like swiss cheese...
Away on extended leave.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>