Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 12" + 1" Design

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 7:27am
I bought this LCD in a hurry cos my 19" Iiyama CRT suddenly stopped working while I was doing the largest project in the final year of my degree!  It's an AG Neovo F419, excellent value for money.  Other advantage is you don't need a desk half a mile deep!

Originally the boxes were designed to be as small and light as possible, hence the small ABS horns (designed for a smaller B&C comp driver).  I'm running them too close to cut-off cos they're not designed for a comp driver which goes below 2k or so.  It's summed up by the fact that the magnet doesn't fit through the cut-out for the horn!!!

Might just to to the other extreme and get one bigger than the 12's! PH3220 I think it is?  Gonna load these cabs with cheap drivers and a passive X-over for house parties and DJ monitors when I build the big ones.
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 11:41am
For a complete classic, you cannot go wrong with the RCF H100 (of which the PH220 is a copy). I have not woked with the PH3220 but it is known to laod the driver quite deep (probably becasue the horn is deep as is evident in teh ripple below 2kHz)
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 11:53am
That is the other option, might be a more sensible size.  I'm going to stick with the recommended X-over for the DE250 of 1k6 so I don't need to go that low.
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 7:18pm
I cross a H100 around 1k5-1k8 and that B&C is one fine driver. The horn doesn't load much below that though, even though it is specced as an 800Hz horn. Many people see fc x 2 as the minimum crossover frequency.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 8:22pm
You're right, I can't believe how much you get out of that DE250 for such little power in even with the ME10 horn. 

At this very moment I've got my whole rig running for a house party: tops plus my 15" B&C subs.  Crest CA9 running sub and mids (big improvement on previous amps), crappy Citronic PSX4 running DE250's.  Unfortunately, being in a residential area, can't run the system to the max .  Sounds pretty good, first time I've had a chance to play with the tops properly. Pics to follow tomorrow...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12