Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X1 Delay

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X1 Delay
    Posted: 14 June 2005 at 5:10pm

Shore I read this here before but couldn't find when i searched just now.

Any one know how much i should delay my system by to bring them in line with my X1s.

Should i messure from the middle of the cone? Seems the logical place.

Thanks.

Techno Slave
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2005 at 5:42pm
Its not just the distance, BP6 type boxes have a high group delay at certain frequencies.  Best to try to use a measurement mic and LMS with the autoalignment or use sine waves at x-over frequency to calculate the delay needed
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Soll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2005 at 6:03pm

Had a Feeling that would be the case.

Can't do said tests befor the weekend. do you think I would be better off putting the High Pass Filter on my Bass bins up to 80 herts, so that they don't fase out the X1s, or will it not make that much of a diffrance?

Running 4x X1 25hz to 80hz, 4x EAW Dual 15"s 40hz to 200hz

Techno Slave
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2005 at 1:38am
Originally posted by Soll Soll wrote:

Had a Feeling that would be the case.

Can't do said tests befor the weekend. do you think I would be better off putting the High Pass Filter on my Bass bins up to 80 herts, so that they don't fase out the X1s, or will it not make that much of a diffrance?

Running 4x X1 25hz to 80hz, 4x EAW Dual 15"s 40hz to 200hz

You dont normally want an overlap of systems that behave differently,especialyl in the time domain.

Id start with crossover X1 LPF 80hz and dual 15"s HPF at 80hz and modify from there.

ricky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2005 at 3:54pm
if you do what tb_mike says your system will play much louder. it is better to stop the low bass getting to your 15", thats why you use the x1.
soundgodwannabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundgodwannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2005 at 11:12pm

I was unaware of a delay issue with this type of cabinet. Here I was wanting to build some cabinets that I wouldn't run into delay issues. I don't really need to use something that I need to go bye another component for my sound system. What subwoofer is there that I can build that won't have a delay issue. The more I am finding out about the X1's, HD15's, 1850's, 186's all have delay issues. I didn't think that the X1 needed timing adjustments?

Make the soundman mad and I WILL press the suck button for your band.
Hobbyist2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobbyist2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2005 at 3:10am
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember Rog saying there were no delay issues with the X1 as it is not a horn. May have been in the old forum though.
Anyone else remember?

Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2005 at 5:07am
Group delay, if you use a controler it is easy enough to sort out (especially when you have some measurement system)
Soll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2005 at 7:58am

Thanks will do as tb_mike says.

Hmm Now the only problem is that The people doing the party want me to set up anouther system next to mine,

2x 1850 2x

Martin w-bins mark 2,

2x Martin Philshave Midhorns,

What a pain, plus they don't have the relavant exuipment to cross it over and delay it propaly.

Don't really want to tell them no, I think they are going for a teknavill look.

If i stack them a bit away from my stuff...?

Techno Slave
soundgodwannabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundgodwannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 12:41am

Okay, here is my two choices. I can either build two X1's or build one G2 subwoofers. I am wondering which would be best to use if I am using a 2/3 way crossover. They only thing that is stopping me in building the X1 is the mention of delays. I have not used them before and really am unaware as how to use a delay and why one is used. I just want something that will give me some bottom end, must be portable, and can be used indoors as well as outdoors.

The G2 looks like a good way to go since I don't necessarily have to have a delay and it can be used outdoors. But at close to 150lbs, it doesn't look very appealing. A hand truck and castors are a must.

Can someone shed some light on the subject of delays with these two subs?

Make the soundman mad and I WILL press the suck button for your band.
LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 7:56am
If you use x1's without delay,you're still going to get heaps of bass anyway,I think you might be considering speakers on 15ms of LF delay(not a huge deal) instead of th 30hz extension and 130db output!
Just build em and worry about delays when you can afford an ultradrive or something! I don't delay my 6th order cabs(similar to x1) and they still rattle roof irons with the best of them!
Speaker addict
Tumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 7:11am
can you use a measurement mic with a digi drive?
Retox
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>