Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Super Bass Horn V.02 by Startec (Quad Acoustics-F)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Super Bass Horn V.02 by Startec (Quad Acoustics-F)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 46>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Bass Horn V.02 by Startec (Quad Acoustics-F)
    Posted: 03 May 2023 at 12:22pm
Any other feedback on these cabs, with hefty 5" VC 18" drivers, playing Reggae/Dub.

From plots and measurements I've seen, I guess they need plenty of shaping eq, (Dependant on driver).

Question is, do they do decent 45hz, in stack of 2x !?

As 186 horn will do this with modern drivers, no problem, and is smaller cab.

Edited by levyte357- - 03 May 2023 at 12:22pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
valle92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valle92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2022 at 7:39am
i had the opportunity to measure my 6 against 6 martin s218 in the same venue if someone cares..... , i was pleasantly surprised to not see the often discussed 50hz dip (could have been the room? but the 218 look worse....).  this is with all filters on (hpf bw24 / 26hz, lpf lr24 129hz)

Edited by valle92 - 23 October 2022 at 9:19am
JACKCO520 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JACKCO520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2022 at 12:49pm
dear
for de 21 inch sbh you have to go to speakerplans eu  thats allmost the same as the sbh for 18 inch
regrads 
AcidDropper303 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcidDropper303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2022 at 2:27pm
Thank you for the fast response, I will look into everything available again when it's time
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2022 at 1:37pm
No comment on the quality of the design or any alternatives, but the Wayback Machine still has it: https://web.archive.org/web/20121119193411/http://www.pcorporation.net/SuperBassHornv2.pdf

HTH,
David.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2022 at 9:28am
The F124 is in a different league to the SBH. I’d save your money.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2022 at 8:58am
Originally posted by citizensc citizensc wrote:

For anyone that owns or loves the SBH, maybe stop reading here... your feelings may be hurt

<SNIP>

I have been planning on designing a 18 inch and 21 inch FLH and posting it here but I have been very busy as of late. I am finishing my masters and moving 3500km to take a new job before the end of the year but I may find time when I settle down in the new year. 

Have you ever seen the Modified Lab sub plans, for a 2x15" version?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2022 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Toss Out Toss Out wrote:

i think i ll go with l18p300 and wsx...i saw specs comparing 18lw2600 and rcf and this is better..i was wrong with all

There are quite a few modern drivers, that would be better in WSX, than original RCFL18P300.

Would also suggest you go hear WSXs playing, in venues, of similar size, to those, you intend to play them in.

WSX are "NOT" best suited, to smaller venues.
AcidDropper303 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcidDropper303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2022 at 8:13am
Hey people!Cry I tried to find the Plan PDF from  http://www.pcorporation.net/SuperBassHornv2.pdf - SuperBassHornv2.pdf by Startec since the website is gone down. Please can any of you help out here? For the future I wanna build 4 of these as center and amp them with Powersoft K20+Limiter =) Feel free to Post it here to make it available to the Internet community again or mail me aciddropper303@gmail.com, thank you in advance - hope to get the Plan or meet someone who has got it for the future build <3 Otherwise I have to buy expansive F1 F124 much later instead, money money money - Maybe it will be just 4 WSX instead, tho I want the below 30hz Infra in a Horn up to 125hz :( F1 218 Infrahorn is most likely phasing a bit and also expansive as hell :D Much love from a learning professional, now starting with 6 Void V18-1000 in 2speakerplans X1, 2JBL4818 & 2 EV T18 parralel @MC²AudioE45 2ohm each channel =)LOL
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2021 at 10:42am
Good job citizensc. Nice to see actual measurements, and those seem pretty stark. That's not a good response at all.  
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2021 at 9:23am
[/QUOTE]

Funnily enough, there still seem to be heaps of free party types building enthusiastically anything from 4-16 cabinet sized stacks of sbh's, and circle-jerking about this "amazing bass horn" on fb LOLConfusedOuchDead
[/QUOTE]

Tbh was on my first teknival this yearBig smile and the 12 sbh stack sounded the best overrall in my opinion,but competition was mostly huge walls of bph maybe some punishers here and there!?

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2021 at 7:40am
Originally posted by citizensc citizensc wrote:

For anyone that owns or loves the SBH, maybe stop reading here... your feelings may be hurt

The more I have learned about FLH design, the more I have come to hate this design. Its just sub optimal, it isn't that suppressing, after all it it is a design from the 90s, adapted to what what was considered a modern driver in 2008, in 2021 we have so many great drivers and design tools that designing something better than this isn't very hard. 

Here are a couple of real life measurements of the SBH in groups of 4, as you can see, it is trash below 50hz. I ran an akabak 3 sim of the SBH in groups of 4 and compared it to 4 x 18 inch reflex and 4 x 15 inch BG horn, both killed it below 50 hz. 

From a real life subjective (ears), objective (measurement) and theoretical (BEM sim) point of view this design does not score well IMO.

I have been planning on designing a 18 inch and 21 inch FLH and posting it here but I have been very busy as of late. I am finishing my masters and moving 3500km to take a new job before the end of the year but I may find time when I settle down in the new year. 

Funnily enough, there still seem to be heaps of free party types building enthusiastically anything from 4-16 cabinet sized stacks of sbh's, and circle-jerking about this "amazing bass horn" on fb LOLConfusedOuchDead

Edited by bob4 - 25 December 2021 at 7:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 46>