Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Super Bass Horn V.02 by Startec (Quad Acoustics-F)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Super Bass Horn V.02 by Startec (Quad Acoustics-F)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 444546
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 4:00pm
Don't worry, meant nothing of the sort!

I was thinking of something like this for evening out loading as well,

Mykey also uses a bulge in his Brute 45.

Either a piece like this (courtesy of Tony ASS) or a letterbox martin style:

Edited by Deadbeat - 16 October 2008 at 4:01pm
Away on extended leave.
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Deadbeat Deadbeat wrote:

Is there a reason for that tantalising pic of the Terra Horn bitoec?

For comparisson I suppose, I hope it didn't come accross as showing off. There's only so many ways to fold a 3m+ horn into a reasonable shaped box and it's suprising how different this new design is. The Terra horn follows the same folding pattern as the EM Quake and the Lab Horn really whereas this design is an innovative extension of the 1850 style S-bin fold.

The fact that the driver is loaded from the front in this design limits the throat arrangements you can have. I never had any problems with this style of loading in the 1850 horns when I had them but I have a preference for the style of throat used in the ASS folded horns (BS1200, etc) and the punisher where the driver is firing onto a parallel plate and the expansion is the the other plane for the initial section. The terra horns are a kind of combination of the two.

Opus get around the uneven loading caused by the throat arrangement in this new design by putting a weird shaped bulge on the access panel. Perhaps the designer of this cab could esperiment with this to reduce the front chamber volume and even up the loading?

me so horny, me love you long throw.
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 3:35pm
Is there a reason for that tantalising pic of the Terra Horn bitoec?

Nice design, btw. Fills an important niche - 30-126hz -6dB sounds greeeat.

Does it need a kick bin?
Away on extended leave.
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 3:29pm
looks great, I think this would make a good alternative to a labhorn for those with less money to spend on drivers and less carpentry skills. The chamber looks big enough, and the compression ratio low enough to allow for cheaper drivers than the 1850 horn. I'm sure it is very efficient too.

Have you tried it in groups of 4 or more?

where can I hear this beast?

Have any French sounds started building them yet? It would be good to see a french rig without a pile of w-bins or martin audio speakers, they might discover that life doesn;t end at 50Hz! (Sorry for the terrible generalisation but I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from!)

It's a shame it isn't quite big enough though!

Edited by biotec - 16 October 2008 at 3:30pm
me so horny, me love you long throw.
dj-panoramix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj-panoramix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Wrighty Wrighty wrote:

Yeah, it looks like a bit of a beast! 60-70kg isn't stupidly heavy for a bass bin though.

without speaker Wink

a picture of inside:

made by gp-force

Edited by dj-panoramix - 16 October 2008 at 4:16pm
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 2:57pm
Yeah, it looks like a bit of a beast! 60-70kg isn't stupidly heavy for a bass bin though.
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj-panoramix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 2:53pm
it's sound f**king good ,the only problem is it's really big and make 60/70kg(without speaker) when you do it on birch-plywood!!

this one go really lower than 186/1850 and the chamber is bigger ,so it's don't sound like 186/1850.

Edited by dj-panoramix - 16 October 2008 at 2:57pm
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 2:40pm
The horn folding looks rather 186/1850-esque, but with a cunningly repositioned driver to move the front chamber and add more length.

Looks good on paper - how does it sound?
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dj-panoramix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2008 at 2:05pm
here are a new 18horn plan made by a french guy called Startec (Quad Acoustics),this plan is made for a RCF LF18N401 (cheap solution),Void V1OOO (mid solution) but you can use a pd1850(expensive solution).
It's a 3 meter long horn ...  Clap

112 dB 1/w/m 3ohz à 125 Hz à -6 dB

the plan in pdf:

here is a picture of this monster:
made by gp-force

Edited by dj-panoramix - 27 October 2008 at 1:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 444546