Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Super Bass Horn V.02 by Startec (Quad Acoustics-F)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Super Bass Horn V.02 by Startec (Quad Acoustics-F)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 46>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2020 at 12:18pm
Hi everyone,
I've been asked to build a pair of sbh118 by a friend who owns 2 n401 to load in them.
I've red the whole thread but it seems noone has been talking about wood requirements, so i would like to ask if anyone knows how many birch ply sheets are required to build 2 sbh. My wood dealer sells 18 mm thick birch ply in 126 × 250cm sheets.
I'm going to draw some 1x10 scaled rectangles and play some tetris, trying to fit the panels from the plan.. but in the meantime, if someone has a clue about how many sheets are required (and would be so kind to share the info) i would definitely appreciate!
plazmelektro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plazmelektro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2020 at 2:33pm
looks really good
how is the frequency response?
and would it be a good idea to load it with rcf lf451? maybe more power would make it even more mental
sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2021 at 5:26pm
I ended up building 4 SBH instead of just a pair.
Here are some pics

Quite satisfied about this build i have to say.. tbh theese are the biggest and the more tricky cabs me and my workmate ever built.
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2021 at 6:31pm
They look great Sushi. What was the tricky part of the build?
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2021 at 8:07pm
Well, i'd say the large number of angled cuts we had to make on the table saw, together with the size and weight of the cabs that i had to paint and move around alone in my garage.. unfortunately we couldn't meet and work together after the build due to the lockdown in north italy. It definitely could have been easier with another pair of arms.
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2021 at 9:04pm
Ah, yes, cabs like that on your own are no fun!
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2021 at 11:34pm
I do like to see a nicely dowelled build, and you have done some lovely dowel work there.

They are complete pain in the arse compared to routing a rebate, but definately a craftsman's skill.
sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2021 at 10:48am
To be honest, we cut and doweled panels with a 3 axis cnc. We just had to cut angles on the edges, trying to be precise and maintain the right lenght, expecially with those which made the rear chamber.. we had to cut some panels 2 or 3 times before all was perfect.
bassaddicted View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassaddicted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2021 at 12:30am
Hey
We will make 6-8 SBH. I have 2 questions about this:
I have the choice between Void V18-1000 and RCF LF18N401. Which one would you choose? Genre: DnB € Tekno

Which power amplifier would you use?
I thought of 2 x Powersoft K3 with 2x2600W @ 4Ohm (highest level of K3)
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2021 at 10:31pm
Are there no hornresp input sheets available to sim both options?
(or measurements?)
Based on those drivers specs i`d guess the V18-1000 would be a better choice.
K3s should be fine, flhs dont need that much headroom anyways imo as the small chamber/heat will be an issue with too much, not properly managed power available..
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2021 at 9:54am
Originally posted by bassaddicted bassaddicted wrote:

Hey
We will make 6-8 SBH. I have 2 questions about this:
I have the choice between Void V18-1000 and RCF LF18N401. Which one would you choose? Genre: DnB € Tekno

Which power amplifier would you use?
I thought of 2 x Powersoft K3 with 2x2600W @ 4Ohm (highest level of K3)

People must stop believing the quoted power of lightweight amplifiers is truth, they are burst figures, often quoted at 1khz,  which gives no idea of true power at sub frequencies.

Would suggest K20.

Will drive 6-8x V18-1000/PD1850 adequately, if you are not seriously boosting 40hz, and have decent mains supply/power cable/speaker cable.

Know this, because I've seen it done repeatedly, as opposed to just reading quoted specs.

Edited by levyte357- - 22 February 2021 at 9:56am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2021 at 8:06pm
Lev, with a K20 you could damage those V18s, in such a FLH, without proper limiting, quickly.. 
RMS power handling is pretty small in that small backchamber ;) 
Peak, excursion limited, handling too, depending on stack size etc.

its not as trivial as simply going for the `best/biggest`guns imo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 46>