Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Super Bass Horn V.02 by Startec (Quad Acoustics-F)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Super Bass Horn V.02 by Startec (Quad Acoustics-F)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 46>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
skankinmoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skankinmoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 9:40am
I can feel with you sushi, building these beasts is way harder then it looks...

sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 7:12pm
such a nice rig here! Yess mate, it definitely is less easy than one thinks, but it pays with satisfaction! I'm really looking forward to hear the 4 sbh i built, when the guy who owns them will feel ok to throw a party..

About the last question on the thread, i'm afraid i tested the N401s in theese cabs for too short time and too low volume to feel like having an opinion. However, i think a K6 amp would barely drive the mentioned rcf speakers over their rms power.. while a K20 would be blowing the cones out, if not kept under control..
i say: why not considering the K10?? I think it could be the best solution, with 2x6kw 2ohm (6 cabs).. it would drive them harder than the K6 but without reaching their limit, and not wasting that much energy you could not use from the K20.

Edited by sushi - 07 March 2021 at 7:13pm
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by sushi sushi wrote:

i say: why not considering the K10?? I think it could be the best solution, with 2x6kw 2ohm (6 cabs).. it would drive them harder than the K6 but without reaching their limit, and not wasting that much energy you could not use from the K20.

Are you serious??? Wasting energy just because the Amp might be way bigger than needed?

Its All about headroom dude.. and control..
If one cant run a rig with double or tripple the needed power, without burning coils to a crisp, one simply shouldnt Touch pro audio gear Sleepy
sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2021 at 8:47am
Right, i actually run my speakers with oversized amps several times. There are some details that can vary the amount of power a speaker can absorb though: How are limiters set? How long are they playing? Is the heat inside the chamber dissipated in some way? I'm pretty sure the musical program can make a difference too... to make it short, a 36 hours party with fast and bass-heavy tekno music, mostly played by non-professional artists, with a diy rig sometimes controlled by non-professional crews, could be really different in terms of performance and results than the average concert a pa tech is used to. I would not suggest a stranger to overpower his own gear without knowing any detail or his skills level.
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2021 at 10:52am
Love this stuff about overpowering woofers....Call VECTORSONICS (Auburn, Maine USA) for recone work...Thanx, VECTORDJ
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2021 at 11:39am
Underpowered, Vs equal Vs overpowered amps is a no-brainer.

Headroom is a absolute must!
I am running LAB 12K44 on comps. Insane overkill, but i still havent seen a law that say "you shall always run flat-out" Wink

Its all about limiters. Simple as that.

You need 1000watts? Get 2000 Big smile
sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2021 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by VECTORDJ VECTORDJ wrote:

Love this stuff about overpowering woofers....Call VECTORSONICS (Auburn, Maine USA) for recone work...Thanx, VECTORDJ

VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2021 at 7:15pm
I get woofers (pre covid) that the coils are melted, the coil/cone joint broken, coils that welded into the magnet, coil wire off the coil former, etc......over and over again....I love it...woofer specs say 1000 watts...put 4000 to 5000 watts into it.......I Love it.....Keeps Me busy......Gas Money for My boat......Use more woofers not more power into a few.....6 to 8 subs a side at safe levels sounds better and lasts a lot longer then 1 woofer a side driven to insane power levels.......But I do not care because I need more gas Money and boat parts for this summer........send Me Your recone work....I Love it. 
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2021 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by VECTORDJ VECTORDJ wrote:

I get woofers (pre covid) that the coils are melted, the coil/cone joint broken, coils that welded into the magnet, coil wire off the coil former, etc......over and over again....I love it...woofer specs say 1000 watts...put 4000 to 5000 watts into it.......I Love it.....Keeps Me busy......Gas Money for My boat......Use more woofers not more power into a few.....6 to 8 subs a side at safe levels sounds better and lasts a lot longer then 1 woofer a side driven to insane power levels.......But I do not care because I need more gas Money and boat parts for this summer........send Me Your recone work....I Love it. 

Let me repeat myself. 
Headroom.... Its All about headroom. 

1000watt woofer with a 1000 watt Amp isnt a good combo. 
The Amp Will struggle to deliver. 
Always double or tripple the Amp power.
Anybody stating otherwise shouldnt deal with audio gear.
subslut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subslut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2021 at 10:50pm
hi Sushi, 
them bins look sweet! you must be well happy with them!?.. 
im planning on making a couple myself but need to order the wood,. just wondering how many sheets of ply did you end up using to make a pair? 
cheers!
sushi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sushi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2021 at 9:33am
Hi! Thanks for props! I didn't heard them yet unfortunately, but owner tells they sound dope so i'm trusting him for now
Iirc it took 11 or 12 sheets (250x125cm) to make 4. I made a cutlist on workshopbuddy.com, useful online tool i must say.. avoids a lot of tetris playing and wood waste.
Just remember this cab's response take a significant dip around 50hz, which gets normally flatten when using 6 or + in a stack, so if you are going to build a pair you'll probably need to eq the bottom end a bit.
HeteBliksem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeteBliksem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2021 at 8:59pm
hi everyone, i got 2 weeks of vacation coming up so i decided trying to build the SBH to keep myself a bit busy Wink.

I'm a pretty handy so i'm not worrying too much about the construction of the cab itself, but its the first time ever building a speaker so i do have some questions. Forgive me if these are stupid or if there are already topics about my questions but like i said, i'm a completely new to this!

First of all i was wondering about the cable that goes to the connectors. i suppose the connectors are placed under the removable part in the back, but to get there with the cable, do i have to drill a hole in the panel under the driver to pass the cable to the backpanel is that correct? and is there a specific place to drill or doesn’t it matter if its in the middle or on the sides?  or do i have to follow the path of the horn until i get to the backpanel and not drill at all??

Second, i dont know anything about wiring speakers, connectors, etc... so is there a topic in here somewhere where i can read about this and where i can find some practical information/links or videos about what kind of wires i should use and how i have to wire the drivers and connectors? in general just information about the practical electrical part?

Also, do i paint the entire speaker? inside and outside? or just the outer visible parts?  and what kind of paint should i use? 

At last, if there are some sites, topics, videos that u recommend watching/reading, about cab building/ wiring speakers or anything else, please share!

thank u very much guys! Embarrassed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 46>