Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

121 wedge New build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2009 at 12:51am
Been using it with a band this week.

Its low end response is solid but not loud, could this be to do with the tuning or just he way the driver proforms? 

Snare drums in and vocals in recorded material sound fantastic, the snare slaps you and the vocals are really present.

A singer asked to turn the vocals down in it.

Im well chuffed thanks to all for your input on this project, its appreciated 
Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2009 at 1:09pm

So do we get to see the Smaart plots???

"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2009 at 2:47pm
Im still waiting to get them off my friend, ill put then up tho

dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 4:24pm
I got my replacement DCX and did the smaart graphs.

I lost all the crossover setting and we had to start all over again.  Not as happy with it this time there is a big dip in the phase and frequency response at 250Hz. Going to try again when we get the time

My friend and I are still getting to grips with all of this and do not claim to be a expert so any constructive criticism is welcome

I will put some finished pix up when I find my camera
cheers

dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 11:05pm

Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 12:54pm
Gareth please tell me that you do put grills on when you use these? The thought of those luverly drivers getting kicked or beer spilt on them sends shivers!!!
Nice work on the cabs.
What amps have you got powering them?

Tony
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 6:54pm
I fully intend on putting grills on them gonna get the off markie when i have some cash.

Im just using them in the studio at the moment, their quite safe
Im powering it with 2 channels of a QSC RMX2450, the HF is attenuated 11db
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 11:27am
Gareth, my 2 x 12N620's get driven off a 1600/channel amp and have no problem at all with that.
I regularly use them on stands with out subs and they do really well even with DI'ed bass and kick.

Your cab tuning seems to be just about perfect but have you measured the actual port frequency with a mic or using a resistance graph? I have always found actual results to vary from the theoretical by quite a margin.

Tony
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 12:02pm
Im want to upgrade the my amps to ffa they look and sound soo.

Ive not measured the tuning, how would i go about that?

the first time i smarted it my friend said it had a F3 of 62Hzish.

Do you run your passive of active?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 12:32pm
Bi-amped with a QSC PLX3602 on the 12N620's and a Crown XTi1000 on the 4552nd comps crossed at 1.2K.

The easiest way to measure the actual port tuning is just to stick a measurement mic at the port mouth and apply some Pinky noise and look at the results using True RTA or similar. The port tuning frequency will be obvious on the display.
I believe Rog. has recommended this technique in the past.

Tony
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 1:43pm
Im crossing over @ 2Khz ish the LP and HP points are streached a little  (like eaw do)

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by dlyxover dlyxover wrote:

Im crossing over @ 2Khz ish the LP and HP points are streached a little  (like eaw do)

Gareth, That's fine with the 4538. As you are not really pushing the comp and you have it on  a horn with a low cut-off you could actually try it as low as 1.5K.

Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>