Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Modified 186 horn build pics - more added 10/06/09
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modified 186 horn build pics - more added 10/06/09

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modified 186 horn build pics - more added 10/06/09
    Posted: 04 November 2008 at 4:42pm
Built these back in May/June - never got round to uploading pics and I still haven't fitted metal bar handles or painted them... Pics of the rig at the gig can be seen here:

http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2179&PN=381

Edited by Wrighty - 10 June 2009 at 8:29pm
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
breakdabeat pete View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breakdabeat pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 5:02pm
nicely done!
the jig on the table saw is class
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 5:13pm
Haha, glad you like the jig :) I've seen proper tenoning jigs before (to get angles >45 degrees) on the New Yankee Workshop, but I managed fine by clamping the workpiece to a lump of 4x2 and running that along the fence. Unfortunately the blade guard and riving knife have to be removed for it to be used so you need to watch your fingers...
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 8:05pm
very clean and tidy build.  lovely job
tommysb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 8:11pm
Looks great! Loaded with 18sound drivers? How do they sound? How were they modified?

Tom
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 8:25pm
i must get a load of gasket tape. lovely build.
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2008 at 8:37pm
Thanks for the comments Smile

Yeah, Eighteensound 18LW1400. Sounded great for the live bands we had and CDs I played through it between acts.

EDIT: A mate of mine has just bought 4 Looneys, so we'll be doing an A-B between his and mine at some point...

Modifications:

- Made them 100mm narrower so I can fit 4 in my store.
- Chopped the bottom corner off at the back (to fit wheels on to).
- Different brace (reflects the last 2 sections of the horn and has cross braces too).

Gasket tape was from CPC and not expensive.

One day I'll get round to finishing them off and post the pics when I do! Need to make some jigs for routing out the sides for the metal bar handles before I can get them painted up though. Not rocket science but the weather isn't exactly brilliant for working outside at the moment and I'm trying not to make too much more mess in the garage!

Edited by Wrighty - 04 November 2008 at 8:39pm
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2008 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by rich_gale rich_gale wrote:

very clean and tidy build.  lovely job

Most definately!

**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
BEWProductions View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEWProductions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 5:57pm
I noticed the insulation you loaded in the driver chamber. I have four of the 186s that I had made. They sound good but I feel they could sound better. Is it a common thing to load the chamber with wadding on horns? I dont think ive ever seen this on them before.
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 6:26pm
Well, I was finishing them in a rush and couldn't find a quick answer as to whether they should have wadding in or not, so I went with. Later, I read some discussions about Looney Bins (which are a very similar design to the 186/1850) which said they don't have wadding in.

I'm planning to take the wadding out of a pair and A/B them, but I suspect I'll end up taking it out, as that's how they're supposed to be.

What drivers have you loaded yours with?
BEWProductions View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEWProductions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 7:10pm
Mine are loaded with RCF L18 P300s. Decent drivers and Ive started building some 2X18" reflex bins that so I can pull them from the horns and put them in the reflex cabs.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2009 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Wrighty Wrighty wrote:

Modifications:

- Made them 100mm narrower so I can fit 4 in my store.

You do know, you have now reduced the chamber size and Horn mouth.Shocked

Was hoping "modified" meant slightly deeper, slightly taller.

Edited by levyte357 - 05 January 2009 at 8:16pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>