Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

X1 plot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X1 plot
    Posted: 01 July 2005 at 5:59am

We have been outside terrorising sheep again.

Below is the plot of an X1, built as per the plans, with wadding as per the original plan, loaded with a void 18-1000, 24db butterworth highpass at 31hz.  Test done ground plane about 2m with a decent signal strength (we have no way of measuring 1w....)

Below is a plot of the same X1 (orange) compared to our slightly reworked version with wadding in the same places (blue) compared to our version with the wadding removed from the front chamber.  Although slightly less flat, removing the wadding from the front chamber appears to give a few db more output around the top end.

"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2005 at 8:42am

It looks like your re-worked version is actually a more versatile cab if people are looking for something that crosses a bit higher.  How does it sound to the ear?

Will you have the X1's in Blueprint on Saturday?  I'm interested in hearing one so i can hear where my subs perform badly!

Edited by norty303
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Jogge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jogge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2005 at 11:04am
Nice one Dom ...

Which modifications did you make to the X1?

I guess an X1 loaded with the SD-18 will give similar plots.  (original X1 vs. modified X1)
Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2005 at 11:35am
The problem will not be present in the frequency domain as much as the time-domain, so one should look at a LF waterfall and see whether there is any droning close to crossover. One could then go and place a helmholz absorber in the port at this exact frequency and in a position where this resonance would have a pressure maximum to alleviate these problems somewhat.
Jez_Ultra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jez_Ultra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2005 at 1:46pm
what equipment did you use to take the reading.  mic / pre-amp.

Jez
Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2005 at 4:49pm

The modification was to redesign it, keeping the ports the same and the interior volumes the same, but in a box 508mm x 1138mm x690mm, which means it has the same frontal dimensions as our double kickbins for versatability in stacking, but also means that its easier to move round - its much easier to move a long thin box by yourself than a square one - I can get a superscooper in and out of a van my myself, there's no way of doing that with an X1....

In theory it "should" have the same response - in reality it seems to have fractionally more low end response and a flatter curve.  I have no idea why though.

Will be doing a plot with an SD-18 in a week or two...

Testing was done with Smaart, an ECM-8000 and a UB802 mixer for the preamp - basic budget stuff.

"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 3:25pm

Ahh thats great dom i had had the same thoughts on the shape of the X1 being a bit hard to handle. Have you made the design look more like the 184/C sub then or is the driver still at an angle like the original?

Stu

All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 5:38pm
The design is just a "letterbox" version of th e X1. 
MixMan X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MixMan X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2005 at 11:04am

Hi there,

Is there any way I could get the plans for the modified X1? Not sure what I am going to build yet, but I've been thinking about the X1's and I'm interested in the modified design.

:)

Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2005 at 5:46am

I haven't actually got a plan....  Anything I did have would of been drawn on a fag packet...

Outside dimensions are 1138mm x 508mm x 690mm.  Ports are 472mm x 141mm and the same length as the original plans.

Baffle is ever so slightly off from 45 degrees - It was going to be exactly 45 degrees to make the mitre cut straight forward, but I moved it ever so slightly in order to make the rear panel of the front chamber about 1cm shorter in order to cut the wood more efficiently.

In fact - if memory serves me correctly - The end pieces are 690mm x 472mm.  If that's cut down from a 1220mm x 472mm piece (as all the internals were), it will leave a piece approx 530mm x 472mm.  That piece is the back panel of the front chamber, the baffle is cut so it joins the end of the front port to the end of that panel.

Everything else in the box after that is just external panels or bracing...

Sorry I'm not more help but exploded diagrams and CAD plans like the punisher are beyond me...

MixMan X View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MixMan X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2005 at 1:10pm

That sounds cool, I can work it out from that. I'm thinking of having them on their sides at the bottom of the stack, and that shape is a lot simpler to work with.

freddyi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2005 at 1:45pm
mod proportion X1 does look better - nice go Dom!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>